What 3 moves would you make this off season (that are realistic)?

DocJJ

1. I'd sign a FA starting pitcher.  I'd overspend and try to get Rodon.  He's going to cost a mint, but he's 28 and lefty and solid.

2. I'd trade Mountcastle.  I just don't think he'll ever have the plate discipline.  He'll hit .250 with 25 HR every year and I think you need more out of your first baseman.  This might be "selling low", but I'd try to package him in a deal somewhere.

3. I'd try to sign a middle of the order bat who can OPS over .800.  Our offense completely disappeared at times and we need some consistency.

• Upvote 2

Only 3?  Need to make a lot more than that.

But keeping it at 3, I would deal some hitting for some pitching with the Marlins (so many ways to go with this)

Sign Abreu to a 2/50 deal…rather not go 3 years.  If we did, I would lower the AAV by a decent amount.

Sign Brantley to a 1/10 deal.

Hard to disagree with your thinking.  I definitely would like at least 1 arm for the rotation.  Not sure Rondon is the guy, but someone who can be relied upon every 5th day.  

I’ve also been on the “trade Mountcastle” train.  Would do the same with Hays if possible.  I’m not a fan of trading Santander.

Would also like a middle of the order bat.  Palmeiro was a great fit his first go-round.  Would love to have someone of that caliber.

I know you said 3, but also need to bring in some bullpen arms as they seemed to wear down at season’s end.

15 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

1. Sign Rodon, even overpay, for 3 years.

2. Sign Bassitt or Clevenger

3. Trade Mateo for either a MOO 1B/DH or a mid-rotation starter and let the young guys play (Henderson to SS, Westburg to 2B, Urias to 3B, Vavra Super Util).

Rodon isn't signing for 3 years.  Are you willing to pay him for 6?

17 hours ago, WarehouseChatter said:

Hard to disagree with your thinking.  I definitely would like at least 1 arm for the rotation.  Not sure Rondon is the guy, but someone who can be relied upon every 5th day.  

I’ve also been on the “trade Mountcastle” train.  Would do the same with Hays if possible.  I’m not a fan of trading Santander.

Would also like a middle of the order bat.  Palmeiro was a great fit his first go-round.  Would love to have someone of that caliber.

I know you said 3, but also need to bring in some bullpen arms as they seemed to wear down at season’s end.

Lyles can be relied on every 5th day. Will he do?

48 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

1. Sign Rodon, even overpay, for 3 years.

2. Sign Bassitt or Clevenger

3. Trade Mateo for either a MOO 1B/DH or a mid-rotation starter and let the young guys play (Henderson to SS, Westburg to 2B, Urias to 3B, Vavra Super Util).

Vavra Super U? Can he play SS? Your probably better with Vavra at 2B and Urias as you utility inf