Construct your 2023 Bullpen

Jim'sKid26

A brief review of the stats from Fangraphs shows that there were only 7 teams in the MLB who had more innings pitched by the BP than the Os. Of those teams only Tampa had a winning record, (The Giants were 81-81.)

The O's BP was 13th in the AL in K/9 at 8.47, 9th in ERA (3.49) and 13th in xFIP (3.72). The BP was worth a collective 4.7 WAR which was 6th in the AL.

So knowing this, how do you construct the 2023 bull pen if the goal is to make the playoffs?

Edited by Jim'sKid26
Capitalize Giants
  • Upvote 1

Bautista and Perez should be back and in the same roles. Move Wells to the bullpen. Trade Tate and allow Baker and/or Wells to take over his role. The rest of it can be filled out with rule 5, waiver adds, or guys who are already here. The most important thing is to have a solid back of the bullpen which they currently have.

I feel that the best parts of the bullpen were as good as just about any team in the majors.  By that I mean Perez, Bautista, Tate, and Lopez when he was here.  The weak part of the bullpen, slots 5-8 plus the Norfolk shuttle pulled the bullpen down.  Lots of time the bullpen was overextended and Elias had no choice but to go to Norfolk for whatever arm was available.  Lots of times, the choice was made on who could give innings than who was the better pitcher.  It would be interesting to look at the Norfolk shuttle and determine whether it was any good.  I think having a couple of relievers who could regularly pitch 2-4 innings would be more valuable than depending so much on the shuttle.

The only guys that ended the year in the pen that I am putting in my 2023 pen right now are Bautista, Baker, Perez and I guess Akin.

Tate would be in there too if I don't find a suitable enough trade for him but I think that will be out there.

Other names who would have a chance to make the pen include Bauman and Voth. 

I would likely want to add 2 relievers from outside the organization.

Priority on high K pitchers who miss bats, as well as limit the walks.  Power arms.

Look at Houston.  They are 6-7 deep in that pen and bring out power arm after power arm. 

• Upvote 1

Starting Rotation

1. FA or trade

2. Lyles

3. Kremer

4. Bradish

5. Rodriguez/Voth

Bullpen

Voth (mainly in Rodriguez's turn of the rotation.  Sometimes Voth starts and Rodriguez relieves.  Every other turn is the opposite.)

Akin

Krehbiel

Tate

Baker

Wells

Perez

Bautista

Vespi/Baumann/Cano/Denoyer/Vallimont/Watson at Norfolk

59 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You forget Hall?

I think Hall should be starting.  At least given every opportunity to start.  

For my bullpen, I'd go with Bautista at closer, Perez, Akin, Tate, Baker as guys who'd enter ST with roles nailed down.  Not sure who else is out there for us to get but I agree with SG for the need for power arms.  And I'd also like a focus on guys who induce more ground balls instead of air outs.  I do believe our infield defense should be a strength headed into next year so I want guys on the staff who throw more ground ball outs.

I am confident in Elias' and his staff's ability to get guys with good raw stuff and shape them into solid bullpen pieces, they did that with Perez and Baker this year.  Baker had his hiccups but would come back around.  So I'm not sure who's out there as a good Rule 5 candidate, waiver claim, trade candidate or whatever but I think our bullpen should once again be a strength next year.  

Getting from terrible previously to above .500 was probably one of the biggest things this years bullpen help the O's accomplish.  To now compete not just to be .500 but to play deep playoff baseball, they have to improve.  Not just the pen, but everywhere.  The good news is some of the young everyday players will do that just by experience.  And one would believe that the Orioles at least gain one, hopefully two quality to high quality starters.  But the pen needs to improve as well.  I think the arms they have are fine...but roles can and should still be flexible based on who they may add.

The jump from deep 5th place in the AL East to 4th was massive.  But it is not going to be easy to climb higher unless they continue to improve everywhere.

Bautista 

Tate

Perez

Akin

Vespi

Baker

Voth

Wells

Hall

The last three guys can make spot starts as needed but I think a couple outside additions to the rotation, Rodriguez, Kremer, and Bradish would have the inside track. My outlook on Hall has dimmed quite significantly…it almost feels like we replaced Tanner Scott with a more hyped up version of Tanner Scott. Loads of potential but until he can show control, there’s no reason to believe it’ll happen. I’m a see it to believe it kinda guy.

I want to spend money on starters so I  going with in house options

Voth, Akin, Hall, Wells, Tate, Perez, Baker, Vespi, Bautista

Im moving on from kriebel; Baumann is my first guy up. Probably keeping Cano and Gillespie on 40 man as well 

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:Vespi/Baumann/Cano/Denoyer/Vallimont/Watson at Norfolk

This is the group that I’ve been wondering about. Do we have anything in the minors that can contribute more than being an up/down guy?  Hopefully Hall sticks as a SP. 

I also expect Baker to take a big step forward. Maybe Brach-like?

I was team trade Tate this offseason back in June, but If we’re trying to win… then you don’t trade a guy like Tate. 

I’d look for a reunion with Jorge Lopez if the Twins non tender him. 

The more SP we add, the more that improves the BP, because we can then move Wells then Voth out there. I don’t think we can expect repeat performances/health from the pitching staff as is. We need depth. 

Rotation

1. FA

2. Trade

3. G Rod

4. Bradish

5. Kremer

Means back by June.  Trade or demote one of Kremer or Bradish, if Means is back to old self.

Bullpen

Bautista, Perez, Tate, Baker, Akin, Vespi, Kreihbel, Voth, Wells

The pen will be much better with up to 3 long relievers.  I think the pen degraded in 2022 when Hyde made everyone a one inning reliever, except Bautista!  Ok, I think Baker and Perez had some multi inning spots.  Need to only use 2 relievers max when you have to go to the bullpen in the 3rd or 4th inning in a losing effort.  I think Voth and Wells could vulture a lot of wins too. 

I'd start Hall out in Norfolk as a starter.  Depending on need, he can be promoted to Baltimore midseason as a starter or reliever.