A look back at the 2021-22 Free Agent Starters

Frobby

Problem is, any of the 1 year guys who outperformed Lyles for cheaper last year are now going to be quite a bit more. I would think Perez and Anderson should get at least Declafini's 3/$36M. Looking at who is available now, I can't say there's anyone I like better than Lyles who will also be cheaper than 1/$10M

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Problem is, any of the 1 year guys who outperformed Lyles for cheaper last year are now going to be quite a bit more. I would think Perez and Anderson should get at least Declafini's 3/$36M. Looking at who is available now, I can't say there's anyone I like better than Lyles who will also be cheaper than 1/$10M

I would think that the O's will go more than 10m or 11m per year for the right starter.

37 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am suggesting they should probably do both.

I don’t think settling for a Lyles type by himself is an option. We need at least one pitcher who is highly likely to be significantly better than Lyles.   Beyond that one, you can argue about whether we need yet another starter and how high to aim in the market.

I think the OP shows that (1) it’s possible to spend a good bit on a multi-year contract and still come up with a turkey, and (2) it’s possible to spend a modest amount on a one-year deal and come out way ahead.   I was surprised to see the WAR/$ ratio skewed so far in favor of the one-year deals.  I’m not sure if I’d find the same thing if I did the same analysis for several seasons, or whether last offseason/the 2022 season was a one-off in that regard.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think settling for a Lyles type by himself is an option. We need at least one pitcher who is highly likely to be significantly better than Lyles.   Beyond that one, you can argue about whether we need yet another starter and how high to aim in the market.

I think the OP shows that (1) it’s possible to spend a good bit on a multi-year contract and still come up with a turkey, and (2) it’s possible to spend a modest amount on a one-year deal and come out way ahead.   I was surprised to see the WAR/$ ratio skewed so far in favor of the one-year deals.  I’m not sure if I’d find the same thing if I did the same analysis for several seasons, or whether last offseason/the 2022 season was a one-off in that regard.  

It's not surprising to me that there have been some good values and some busts in across the tiers. There is a lot of volatility and risk in baseball. I agree, if we retain Lyles my assumption is we would still be in the market for more. If we cut bait on Lyles, I hope that means the O's have positive info on Means' likelihood of coming back. One argument for letting Lyles go is that we should be able to find someone like.him at the trade deadline for cheap. 

This discussion led me to look at Lyles Fangraphs numbers. The one thing that struck me as interesting was that they valued his 2022 performance at $11.5 million. I am not well-versed on these kinds of numbers. Perhaps @Frobby or someone else can shed some light on the valuation by FanGraphs?

Edited by Jammer7

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

This discussion led me to look at Lyles Fangraphs numbers. The one thing that struck me as interesting was that they valued his 2022 performance at $11.5 million. I am not well-versed on these kinds of numbers. Perhaps @Frobby or someone else can shed some light on the valuation by FanGraphs?

It’s just a dollar translation of fWAR.  Each year they calculate how many fWAR the FA class was worth the year before, and the total amount paid per year to that class, to derive a $/WAR ratio.  After many years of increase, it’s settled in at about $8 mm/WAR over the last 6-7 years or so.  So, 1.4 fWAR translates to about $11.5 mm.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s just a dollar translation of fWAR.  Each year they calculate how many fWAR the FA class was worth the year before, and the total amount paid per year to that class, to derive a $/WAR ratio.  After many years of increase, it’s settled in at about $8 mm/WAR over the last 6-7 years or so.  So, 1.4 fWAR translates to about $11.5 mm.  

Thank you for the explanation. Interesting.

His option is for $11 million for 2023. That would seem reasonable, maybe a little high. Do we go with Lyles, knowing what we should get from him? Or go with another one year option that is more of an unknown? I can see going with him as a 4-5 starter. I would like to see Degrom or Verlander, while I worry Rodon is the kind of potential bust with injuries you wrote about. 

I don't think its the dollar value that will drive who Elias has on the pitching staff next year.  Well, not the only thing.   I think Elias would like to have one of the top 3 rotations in the AL.   Last season he was 10th with the O's starters have a 4.35 ERA.

The Astros  starters were one at 2.95 ERA,  Tampa second at 3.45,  and the Yankees third at 3.51.   So the goal is to be as good as the Yankees were.

Kremer, Bradish, Voth, Grayson and Means all have a chance to help that happen if we consider Bradish 2nd half.   Lyles at  a 4.45 ERA without much of a chance of improving doesn't help achieve that goal.  That is why I think Elias brings in someone he thinks is better.

Wells at 4.25  and Watkins at 4.17 as starters are  guys that fill in in case of injury.  Hall has to prove he can pass one of the starters with what he does at as a starter at AAA before he joins the rotation.

I think Elias is building a 2023 playoff team and Lyles does not really fit.   JMO

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Folks worry about Rodon’s injury history but give a pass to DeGrom who is a bigger injury risk. Rodon has started 55 games the past two years vs DeGrom’s 26 starts. I am going with Rodon. Probably can get Rodon and a good hitter (Maybe Rizzo) for the cost of DeGrom. Or get Rodon and Clevinger. 
What contracts will DeGrom, Rodon, Clevinger, and Rizzo get?

We want to win a World Series- Lyles is good for a rebuilding team. That was great for the past. Don’t waste money on 

Rodon, Kremer, GROD, Bradish, and a battle for the 5th spot. 

Wells, Voth, and Hall battle for a starting job but can be pushed to the pen. Would give us lots of depth if we add two SPs. Who knows what Kremer and Bradish will do next year. 
Bullpen- Bautista, Tate, Perez, Baker, Wells, Hall, Voth, Akin, Baumann, etc.

Add Rodon, Clevinger (or trade for SP), Rizzo, and backup catcher. That gives us a great shot to fight for the division.

Remember, Lyles only costs 10 million more. We are paying him 1 million regardless. Pick up his option. There is no competition for him and he's a serviceable starter. Then...go for a better one. I think people are worried that if we get Lyles, we don't get anyone else. They shouldn't be exclusive to each other.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Remember, Lyles only costs 10 million more. We are paying him 1 million regardless. Pick up his option. There is no competition for him and he's a serviceable starter. Then...go for a better one. I think people are worried that if we get Lyles, we don't get anyone else. They shouldn't be exclusive to each other.

The Orioles will not make a deep playoff run with a bunch of Lyles in the rotation. He is a mediocre pitcher at best. We have a bunch of those. Hopefully GROD turns into a TOR pitcher but it will take some time. Let’s use the 10 million toward a stud pitcher.