Tempo

Just Regular

45 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I hate them messing with this. I think the bigger time problem are throws to first. But, monkeying with that process will take away from the game imo. 

My guess is that an average game is extended by about one minute from throws to first, while taking an extra 10, 20, 30 seconds between pitches adds roughly an hour.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do not think the playoffs benefit from games taking 4 hours to play.  I don’t watch them, for that very reason. 

Back in '14 when the O's were in the playoffs it was like having jet lag for two weeks straight, since many of the games started around 8pm and was lucky to end by midnight.  There's a 0% chance I'm doing that for two teams I'm at best a neutral towards. I might watch a few of the middle innings, but no reason to get invested in a game that I'll never stay up to see the end of.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Back in '14 when the O's were in the playoffs it was like having jet lag for two weeks straight, since many of the games started around 8pm and was lucky to end by midnight.  There's a 0% chance I'm doing that for two teams I'm at best a neutral towards. I might watch a few of the middle innings, but no reason to get invested in a game that I'll never stay up to see the end of.

Exactly this.  

As far as I've seen from my casual reading, there has been no substantial discussion of much earlier attempts to institute a pitch clock in major league ball and why they failed. It must have been in the late 1960s because a sliver of my probably erroneous memory insists that Frank Bertaina was regularly violating it. Wasn't a 20 or 25-sec. clock tried for a while back then, and didn't it fail because the umps rather quickly stopped enforcing it?

My October 4-hour gameplan ran about like:

8-9 - kiddo bedtime routine

9-915 - DVR catchup of 1st third

915-1030 - non-baseball Netflix, etc w/the Mrs.

1030-1045 - DVR catchup of middle third

Sometimes Leverage Index then lets you call it a night, or the next hour has that special element worth trying to see live.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, LA2 said:

As far as I've seen from my casual reading, there has been no substantial discussion of much earlier attempts to institute a pitch clock in major league ball and why they failed. It must have been in the late 1960s because a sliver of my probably erroneous memory insists that Frank Bertaina was regularly violating it. Wasn't a 20 or 25-sec. clock tried for a while back then, and didn't it fail because the umps rather quickly stopped enforcing it?

They enforce it just fine in the minors.  If they don't do it in the Majors it will be a choice, and one I'll be extremely disappointed in.

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

My October 4-hour gameplan ran about like:

8-9 - kiddo bedtime routine

9-915 - DVR catchup of 1st third

915-1030 - non-baseball Netflix, etc w/the Mrs.

1030-1045 - DVR catchup of middle third

Sometimes Leverage Index then lets you call it a night, or the next hour has that special element worth trying to see live.

That’s a pretty good system.  Do you fast forward between pitches, between batters, or just between innings?   I suspect the former if you are really catching up on 2-3 innings in 15 minutes.  

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They enforce it just fine in the minors.  If they don't do it in the Majors it will be a choice, and one I'll be extremely disappointed in.

Yes, of course, and with the precedent of minor league success, it's more likely to succeed in the MLB. But I'm just seeking confirmation that a clock was tried back in the late 1960s and how it failed. Can't find corroboration after a quick web search, for some reason.

I recall now that Denny McLain was complained about as well, although I guess when you win 31 games and pitch 336 innings you expect to be given a little more time between pitches.

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yes, of course, and with the precedent of minor league success, it's more likely to succeed in the MLB. But I'm just seeking confirmation that a clock was tried back in the late 1960s and how it failed. Can't find corroboration after a quick web search, for some reason.

I recall now that Denny McLain was complained about as well, although I guess when you win 31 games and pitch 336 innings you expect to be given a little more time between pitches.

I have zero memory of this, but I can’t swear it never happened.  

11 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Hmm, wow, I need to do some digging. Maybe it was embarrassingly short-lived or only in spring training.

Total aside: I just Googled Denny McLain and clock and found nothing about a pitch time limit. I did, however, find out that McLain was suspended from baseball for ties to gamblers and was sentenced to 23 years in federal prison (I think he served six). I had no idea! I knew he was the last 30 game winner and pretty much nothing else about him. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Total aside: I just Googled Denny McLain and clock and found nothing about a pitch time limit. I did, however, find out that McLain was suspended from baseball for ties to gamblers and was sentenced to 23 years in federal prison (I think he served six). I had no idea! I knew he was the last 30 game winner and pretty much nothing else about him. 

Yeah McLain's descent from legendary pitching prowess was drastic. His arm was probably worn out (five seasons of increasingly heavy usage, incl. 325 IPs and 23 CGs the season following the 31-W year) and he got really overweight. But he kept getting value back in one trade after another.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

It was pretty notorious at the time.  Pretty sure Sports Illustrated ran a lengthy retrospective piece on him after his prison years were behind him.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was pretty notorious at the time.  Pretty sure Sports Illustrated ran a lengthy retrospective piece on him after his prison years were behind him.  

I totally missed it. I was a very casual baseball fan during that period and probably took no notice. Pretty dark story. 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I totally missed it. I was a very casual baseball fan during that period and probably took no notice. Pretty dark story. 

Here is the SI article I recalled:  https://vault.si.com/.amp/vault/1987/12/14/starting-over-denny-mclain-the-major-leagues-last-30-game-winner-is-out-of-jail-and-trying-to-build-a-new-life-for-himself

• Upvote 2