Tempo

Just Regular

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Yes, of course, and with the precedent of minor league success, it's more likely to succeed in the MLB. But I'm just seeking confirmation that a clock was tried back in the late 1960s and how it failed. Can't find corroboration after a quick web search, for some reason.

I recall now that Denny McLain was complained about as well, although I guess when you win 31 games and pitch 336 innings you expect to be given a little more time between pitches.

The 1968 Tigers' average game length was 2:38.  The 2022 Orioles only played 11 games that quickly.

Please explain how this works...who runs the clock (HP umpire)?? If so, the guy is responsible for calling 300+ pitches, now the clock. Will it be on the scoreboard? How is it called?? I'm sure it's all figured out, but I worry about consistency. I mean the NFL (Lamar Jackson) seems to get a few calls his way when the clock hit zero. Also, what about in sloppy conditions? Cleaning spikes, rubbing down ball. Catcher and pitcher can't agree on a pitch. I, as a batter, don't want some guy, feeling uncomfortable throwing a ball 90+ at me, but has to or a ball. Lastly, you may say pitcher X takes an average (mean?, median? mode?) of 18.1 seconds.... but I'm sure there are times when pitcher X is 20+. Add to that the new throws to first base rule...if some of these pitchers have been around years not having to deal with these rules, how will it affect their game? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s a pretty good system.  Do you fast forward between pitches, between batters, or just between innings?   I suspect the former if you are really catching up on 2-3 innings in 15 minutes.  

Almost all fast forward - the one where the timer increments 30 seconds for every few seconds.    That speed images skip, so the video has kind of that flip book cartoon effect.    Which is fine for when Cristian Javier is dominating the bottom of the Phillies lineup - I've seen enough baseball in my life I don't need to see Bryson Stott flail.   

Then just pick spots for regular speed if its Harper v. Verlander with men on, or anything worth the time.     

Before parenthood it was more like you said - in fact the timing mechanism to de-select 2x or 3x would be when the pitcher started his motion.     After parenthood even that became too slow.      Games that are late and close in the 3rd hour I have to accept the slow tradeoff if I want to enjoy the Game Thread.

27 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

Please explain how this works...who runs the clock (HP umpire)?? If so, the guy is responsible for calling 300+ pitches, now the clock. Will it be on the scoreboard? How is it called?? I'm sure it's all figured out, but I worry about consistency.

I went to two minor league games this year.  There was a clock up against the wall behind home plate, maybe 15 feet to the right of directly behind home.  In the two games I attended, a pitcher was called for taking too long only once.   And the game did not feel hurried at all.  The pitchers had adjusted to it just fine.  

A big part of this, BTW, is that the batter has to be in the box ready to hit with 8 seconds left on the clock.  The batters are at least half the problem in MLB.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wow. That article was written in 1987. Sadly, McLain's troubles with the law were not over. Below is from a more recent ESPN article (maybe 2004ish). 

"In 1994, he and some associates bought a Chesaning, Mich., meat-processing company that went bankrupt two years later. He and an associate were indicted for looting the company's pension fund of $12.5 million. Convicted in December 1996 of conspiracy, theft, money laundering and mail fraud, he was sentenced to eight years. 

McLain served more than six years in the McLean Federal Correctional Institution in Bradford, Pa., until he was released in 2003 and transferred to a halfway house in Detroit for six months. During that time, he was employed in a 7-Eleven. He is on supervised release for three years, during which he must remain in regular touch with his probation officer."

• Thanks 1