Palmer thinks Tyler Wells will be a starter next season

wildcard

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As much as I like Wells, the 6.6 k rate is pause for concern. 

Ironically, he started to get more Ks and missing more bats his last few starts but then he also gave up more runs, etc…

Overall, I don’t think we know what his best role is yet.  He certainly looked promising as a starter last year but health and lack of innings is a big concern for him.  

We can break down if he is capable of being good enough to be a starter but if he’s not available, it doesn’t matter.

He is one of several players that the Os need to make decisions on.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ironically, he started to get more Ks and missing more bats his last few starts but then he also gave up more runs, etc…

Overall, I don’t think we know what his best role is yet.  He certainly looked promising as a starter last year but health and lack of innings is a big concern for him.  

We can break down if he is capable of being good enough to be a starter but if he’s not available, it doesn’t matter.

He is one of several players that the Os need to make decisions on.

Also, his k rate in 2021 was 10.3 but in only 57 innings.

I agree, it's hard to tell what his best role is, or if he's a trade piece.  Doesn't matter though, no matter how you cut it I'm glad we have him.  There's value from each angle.

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also, his k rate in 2021 was 10.3 but in only 57 innings.

I agree, it's hard to tell what his best role is, or if he's a trade piece.  Doesn't matter though, no matter how you cut it I'm glad we have him.  There's value from each angle.

I don’t think he has much trade value but I do agree there is value there no matter what you do, which is great considering how you acquired him and what he costs to keep him.

Considering he was our best starter before the sudden emergence of Kremer, this feels like a safe bet. 

That said, if we go out and get, say, two legit SPs, there is a need in the bullpen with Lopez gone. The team felt that need late in the season when guys like Krehbiel faded. 

For me though, I'd rather start Wells and find a bullpen arm or two. 

I *almost* miss the days when this offseason discussion was more obvious. Could Wells be a starter? Of course? Could Wells be a high-leverage reliever? Sure. Could the O's do 50 different things? Yes. It's a great problem to have, but so hard to talk through this offseason stuff before it takes shape.