“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

From Roch today:

When you say the Orioles aren't shopping in the top tier of free agency, does that include Carlos Rodón?

He’s in the top tier. The Orioles may float some offers, as I’ve said, but they’ll be much more aggressive on the second and third levels. Upgrades are available. To say they’re “fishing in the deep end” of free agency doesn’t mean they’re ready to break the bank. It means they’re talking to agents and getting an accurate read on the prices. Never hurts to do that.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/because-you-asked-holiday-heist

Does Roch actually know anything?  Is he being told this by the club?  Or is he just stating his opinion?  I believe the latter.  Doesn’t mean he’s wrong.  

Not saying he's wrong, but man, does Roch seem to get a bizarre joy out of pouring cold water on fans' hopes of the Orioles going for big fish in the free agent market (or other things fans would want). 

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We aren't blocking our top prospects with long term deals for free agents and we definitely aren't spending $45-50 million a year for Correa and Benintendi, especially when the rotation is clearly the top priority.

They could  easily go 70 million in free agents and be right around 100 million. You are going to subtract guys that will offset 5-10 million of that. As I said, your not blocking anyone. If your bringing up Westburg this year and Ortiz next there is room at 2nd and 1st. Cowser replaces Stowers who becomes your 4th or 5th OF or your DH if he hits enough in another year depending on what you do with Santander. 

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

But they won't, and especially not for positions that are not a pressing need like SS.

They should be willing to spend big money on Verlander (or deGrom if convinced he is healthy), and spend moderate money ($15-20M) on a solid bat like Abreu to help the lineup.  If there ever was a time to spend on free agents, its now, when the payroll is dirt cheap. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

They should be willing to spend big money on Verlander (or deGrom if convinced he is healthy), and spend moderate money ($15-20M) on a solid bat like Abreu to help the lineup.  If there ever was a time to spend on free agents, its now, when the payroll is dirt cheap. 

100% agree and would be quite satisfied with Verlander and Abreu, and a trade for a second SP. 

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

100% agree and would be quite satisfied with Verlander and Abreu, and a trade for a second SP. 

I tend to trust what the national media is saying over Roch anyway, so I don't get too bent out of shape over what Roch says.  It's just annoying that any time the national media says "hey, the Orioles might be aggressive and pursue good player X," Roch is like, "actually, I would expect them to be shopping in the bargain bin, because Orioles."

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

The Angeloses are cheap though, so. Any excuse to not spend money. 

The Angelos have given him a budget number that constitutes the we are trying to win now statement. If his hands were tied he’d be looking for a gig elsewhere. John said the money would be there when it was time.

IMO 110 million payroll wouldn’t be a detriment to a buyer. And these guys could be dealt later barring a huge drop off. Or even using an opt out.

Benintendi and Correa are both 28 so there is no reason to expect a cliff dive. Benintendi will probably get 15-17 on a 3 year deal. He’s probably a 2.5 WAR player for several more years. If he produces 3.25,  3.0, and 2.75 you’d get 61 million in value. Correa has been worth 12.6 over the last 2 years. And 3+ the two previous years not counting the pandemic season. Correa probably averages 4 war over a 10 year deal. That’s $280 million in value so 10/300 would be a slight overpay. But, maybe he gives you another a couple 6-7 years then the deal is a winner.

Im not fond of those type after Davis but he’s a generational player and Davis wasn’t or he would’ve gotten more elsewhere. I just have that feeling that he an Elias had an understanding and believe the Orioles are players.

8 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I tend to trust what the national media is saying over Roch anyway, so I don't get too bent out of shape over what Roch says.  It's just annoying that any time the national media says "hey, the Orioles might be aggressive and pursue good player X," Roch is like, "actually, I would expect them to be shopping in the bargain bin, because Orioles."

Roch Kobuzzkill 😋

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ok ….A2DA

I don't speak...whatever this is :noidea:

15 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

DeGrom is going to give you 100-110 innings tops. Are you really advocating 30-40 million for that? Verlander gets 4 or 5 from some fool. At 39 that’s a bad gamble imo.

I feel much better rolling the dice with 28 year olds. The two guys plus Senga or one of the other guys

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

“But, you’d be blocking our prospects “

I don’t understand why @DrinkinWithFermiis advocating going with Grayson, Hall, Kremer, Bradish, and Voth/Wells/Akin/Means etc. they are all going to be 20 game winners you know (rolls eyes).

Edited by Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

DeGrom is going to give you 100-110 innings tops. Are you really advocating 30-40 million for that? Verlander gets 4 or 5 from some fool. At 39 that’s a bad gamble imo.

I feel much better rolling the dice with 28 year olds. The two guys plus Senga or one of the other guys

I'd be shocked if a team gives Verlander 4 or 5 years at this age, but we'll see.  deGrom definitely  comes with his risks, but if the Orioles doctors are convinced he can pitch (and I would obviously want more than 100-110 innings on average per year), then I think it is worthwhile.