“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And what I’m telling you is that even when it’s an opinion, the foundation of that opinion is based on what he is being told and what he is hearing.

The question is who does he hear things from.  It certainly doesn't seem like he's any more connected than we are except on rare occasions on fairly trivial matters.

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Every team in MLb can afford to take that risk.  It’s just a matter of if they want to.

But not every team in the MLB can afford to have the contract go bad, which is, I think, what he meant. Teams that enjoy a ridiculously expansive revenue can make a $40M/year mistake and not have it effect their ability to compete. The Baltimore Orioles are not one of those clubs. But then I think you probably knew that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

But not every team in the MLB can afford to have the contract go bad, which is, I think, what he meant. Teams that enjoy a ridiculously expansive revenue can make a $40M/year mistake and not have it effect their ability to compete. The Baltimore Orioles are not one of those clubs. But then I think you probably knew that.

The Orioles can absolutely withstand that.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

If we could get him for 3 years, we could absorb that hit if it went completely off the rails because our payroll is so low and so much of our core talent is going to be cheap for the next few years. Even 4 years might not be a complete backbreaker.

I would argue that deGrom at $40 million for 3 or 4 years is less risky for the Orioles than Rodon at $30 million for 5 or 6 years, and it has more upside.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

In the grand scheme of things did the Davis contract cause any damage?

If they hadn't signed him would they have avoided the crash?  Could they have spent that money elsewhere on ML players and stayed competitive?

Obviously some teams, like the Padres, are probably at a point in which that type of contract could really hamper their ability to make moves.

The Orioles?  They theoretically have plenty of room to add payroll right?  Haven't they been saving money these last few years so they can spend when the time is right?  😉

The only way the O's can't afford that type of contract is if ownership is demanding a certain level of profitability that precludes it.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In the grand scheme of things did the Davis contract cause any damage?

If they hadn't signed him would they have avoided the crash?  Could they have spent that money elsewhere on ML players and stayed competitive?

Obviously some teams, like the Padres, are probably at a point in which that type of contract could really hamper their ability to make moves.

The Orioles?  They theoretically have plenty of room to add payroll right?  Haven't they been saving money these last few years so they can spend when the time is right?  😉

The only way the O's can't afford that type of contract is if ownership is demanding a certain level of profitability that precludes it.

Just to elaborate, the O’s reportedly had operating income of $83 mm last year.  So theoretically, they could increase payroll by $83 mm and still break even.  Hence, a $40 mm mistake doesn’t kill them right now.   It certainly limits them. No team wants to make a mistake of that magnitude.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just to elaborate, the O’s reportedly had operating income of $83 mm last year.  So theoretically, they could increase payroll by $83 mm and still break even.  Hence, a $40 mm mistake doesn’t kill them right now.   It certainly limits them. No team wants to make a mistake of that magnitude.  

Yes …but if the Davis contract is the reason they passed on signing Manny it really hurt

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He would have been our guy all the way under prior regimes and they would have tried to pass him off as an ace to Orioles fans.

Well when so many fans have low expectations and want to keep Jordan Lyles as our ace, Clevinger would have felt like we signed DeGrom to them. Rodon & Clevinger, Bassett and Clevinger, Rodon & Kluber, Bassitt and Kluber, something along those lines I would have been fine with. 
Clevinger adds more depth to a deep White Sox rotation.