“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd be shocked if a team gives Verlander 4 or 5 years at this age, but we'll see.  deGrom definitely  comes with his risks, but if the Orioles doctors are convinced he can pitch (and I would obviously want more than 100-110 innings on average per year), then I think it is worthwhile. 

DeGroms last 3 years 68, 92, and 64 innings. Knowing that you’d give him the anticipated 3/125? If so I have some property underwater in Florida that might be above water in the next 15-20 years to sell you.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/11/mlb-insider-reveals-projected-contract-terms-for-top-yankees-mets-free-agents-aaron-judge-jacob-degrom-more.html

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

“But, you’d be blocking our prospects “

Trying to compare a 2 year deal for Abreu or Verlander to a 4 or 5 year deal for Benintendi or an 8-10 year for Correa doesn't really make much sense. It's clearly apples and oranges.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Agree to Dis’ Agree

Ah, got it. I am getting too old to keep up on all of the internet slang out there.

In fairness, the ownership has never given a big contract to a FA starting pitcher anywhere near the size Rodon, Degrom and Verlander would cost.

Roch did write about their likely pursuit of Bassit at around 3 years for $60 million. That is not exactly cheap, is it? I believe that would be the largest contract ever given to a FA pitcher by the organization. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Trying to compare a 2 year deal for Abreu or Verlander to a 4 or 5 year deal for Benintendi or an 8-10 year for Correa doesn't really make much sense. It's clearly apples and oranges.

Ah, got it. I am getting too old to keep up on all of the internet slang out there.

I’m not against Abreu. I just think Elias has a Astros thing with Correa. If he thinks Correa can get 5ish War for 8 years you probably aren’t getting that from any of the prospects. Holiday was a high schooler so he’s probably 3-4 years away. By then you can move Correa to 2B. 

As I mentioned, Verlander probably asks 3-5 years and 40+million per. That’s way more risky at 39 than 10/300 for a 28 year old. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

DeGroms last 3 years 68, 92, and 64 innings. Knowing that you’d give him the anticipated 3/125? If so I have some property underwater in Florida that might be above water in the next 15-20 years to sell you.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/11/mlb-insider-reveals-projected-contract-terms-for-top-yankees-mets-free-agents-aaron-judge-jacob-degrom-more.html

Send me the listing for the property. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not against Abreu. I just think Elias has a Astros thing with Correa. If he thinks Correa can get 5ish War for 8 years you probably aren’t getting that from any of the prospects. Holiday was a high schooler so he’s probably 3-4 years away. By then you can move Correa to 2B. 

As I mentioned, Verlander probably asks 3-5 years and 40+million per. That’s way more risky at 39 than 10/300 for a 28 year old. 

Verlander definitely isn't getting 5 years and I would be completely shocked if he somehow got 4. Even 3 guaranteed years at $40 million or more is a bit of a stretch, but I could probably see the Dodgers or Mets doing it in the midst of a bidding war. I suspect that the Astros will not go to 3 guaranteed years for him based on comments Jim Crane made, but maybe he folds and gives it to him after all.

FWIW, I would do it in a heartbeat if it got him to put pen to paper here, but Elias probably would not.

As for Correa, I'm sure Elias would like to have him in a vacuum, but it simply does not make much sense in the context of what he is doing here and most likely does not make sense in relation to the resources he has available to him. 

16 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Verlander definitely isn't getting 5 years and I would be completely shocked if he somehow got 4. Even 3 guaranteed years at $40 million or more is a bit of a stretch, but I could probably see the Dodgers or Mets doing it in the midst of a bidding war. I suspect that the Astros will not go to 3 guaranteed years for him based on comments Jim Crane made, but maybe he folds and gives it to him after all.

FWIW, I would do it in a heartbeat if it got him to put pen to paper here, but Elias probably would not.

As for Correa, I'm sure Elias would like to have him in a vacuum, but it simply does not make much sense in the context of what he is doing here and most likely does not make sense in relation to the resources he has available to him. 

I’d rather pay 3 years to Verlander than DeGrom. Even if Verlander is nothing in year three he’d give you what DeGrom gives you in 4

Edited by Roll Tide

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

To be fair, the 68 in 2020 scale to 180+, not deGrom's fault.    He also made 200 in all of 2017-19.

But also fair to maybe throw all that out as he's taken his Stuff to places rarely seen in MLB history.   Its basically red-lining human performance for this day and age.     Even more than Rodon, he's the Move 1 that for me would bring Move 2 Jordan Lyles back into a palatable range.     

All things considered I think the '23 Orioles are probably better off opening the year with a pair like Taillon and Manaea than deGrom and Lyles, but that's also with the thought the Orioles are seriously in July mixes for whatever Arms are in sharp form then.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

DeGrom is going to give you 100-110 innings tops. Are you really advocating 30-40 million for that? 

That’s a bit hyperbolic, wouldn’t you say?    Obviously there’s a risk you don’t get a full season out of deGrom.  But to say he’s only going to throw 100-110 innings tops is just way too conservative.  He threw 200+ in 2017-19 and was at a 180+ pace in the Covid-shortened season.  So now you’re saying because he’s had injuries two years in a row he’ll never have a healthy season again?  He might not, but we certainly don’t know that.