“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes …but if the Davis contract is the reason they passed on signing Manny it really hurt

Did it tho?

Manny would have been traded when the house of cards collapsed.

Yes the return probably would have been better, but I don't think it would have greatly accelerated the timeline to a return to relevance. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Roll Tide said:

This  year Rodon pitched 178  innings and 132. This year DeGrom 64 and last year 92. No contest IMO

2022 was also the first time Rodon has ever reached 30 starts. He debuted in 2015.

deGrom, OTOH, made 30 or more starts 4 times in that stretch and also made a full 12 starts in the shortened 2020 season.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did it tho?

Manny would have been traded when the house of cards collapsed.

Yes the return probably would have been better, but I don't think it would have greatly accelerated the timeline to a return to relevance. 

Well …I always thought it was one or the other with Davis/Machado. It sure seemed like it. Yes he would’ve been dealt but I suspect the return would’ve been much better than we got with control.

31 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Slowly but surely the market is moving, Lol. 

19 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He would have been our guy all the way under prior regimes and they would have tried to pass him off as an ace to Orioles fans.

Correct, they'll probably try to pass Stripling/Manaea off as such though. 

9 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

2022 was also the first time Rodon has ever reached 30 starts. He debuted in 2015.

deGrom, OTOH, made 30 or more starts 4 times in that stretch and also made a full 12 starts in the shortened 2020 season.

Honestly, it’s been four years for DeGrom. I really don’t care what either guy did before the pandemic. Its just not relevant to what your likely to get now.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just to elaborate, the O’s reportedly had operating income of $83 mm last year.  So theoretically, they could increase payroll by $83 mm and still break even.  Hence, a $40 mm mistake doesn’t kill them right now.   It certainly limits them. No team wants to make a mistake of that magnitude.  

Operating income does not include the impact of interest payments, deferred payments, non-operating expenses (like the building of facilities in Latin America, etc.) and taxes.

So I think you're over-representing the team's success a bit.

By how much, I don't know.

Had you posted their reported net income, it would have been a more fair representation.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes …but if the Davis contract is the reason they passed on signing Manny it really hurt

We don’t know if that was the case, but in any event, it was a different situation, since the O’s were stretching their payroll to its highest level to sign Davis.  And, it was a 7-year commitment.  An expensive 3-year deal now would be over with by the time Rutschman was in Arb 2 and Henderson and Rodriguez were in Arb 2.   So even a mistake of that magnitude wouldn’t necessarily be fatal.  

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly, it’s been four years for DeGrom. I really don’t care what either guy did before the pandemic. Its just not relevant to what your likely to get now.

Rodon missed 1/4 of his starts in 2021 due to issues with his throwing shoulder, which was not the first or second or even third time that he has missed large chunks of time with injuries to his throwing arm.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

Operating income does not include the impact of interest payments, deferred payments, non-operating expenses (like the building of facilities in Latin America, etc.) and taxes.

So I think you're over-representing the team's success a bit.

By how much, I don't know.

Had you posted their reported net income, it would have been a more fair representation.

Fair point.  Operating income is all that’s reported/estimated by Forbes.  I don’t have any information about net income.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Fair point.  Operating income is all that’s reported/estimated by Forbes.  I don’t have any information about net income.  

I assumed you didn't have access to that info... and have seen enough of your posts to know that you are unusually fair-minded... Just wanted to make the point that the picture may not be as favorable as Operating Income may make it appear.

7 minutes ago, owknows said:

I assumed you didn't have access to that info... and have seen enough of your posts to know that you are unusually fair-minded... Just wanted to make the point that the picture may not be as favorable as Operating Income may make it appear.

You are absolutely right, and the difference could be pretty significant.  

• Upvote 1