“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

21 minutes ago, interloper said:

O's are in on Taillon sounds like. I like Bassitt more, but Taillon is younger and cheaper. He would appear to fulfill Elias' "1-3 spots in the rotation" requirement as a strong #3. But it would not be very exciting. 

Taillon is not a strong #3. He is as average as average can be, but he is going to get paid as though he was actually good.

100 ERA+ in 2021. 100 ERA+ in 2022. And he is probably going to get like 4/$70 million when the dust settles.

Meh.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

O's are in on Taillon sounds like. I like Bassitt more, but Taillon is younger and cheaper. He would appear to fulfill Elias' "1-3 spots in the rotation" requirement as a strong #3. But it would not be very exciting. 

Yeah, Roch is confirming interest on Taillon in his blog. Still, Taillon looks like he's in a great market this year. Far from a sure thing the O's sign him.

4 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Taillon is not a strong #3. He is as average as average can be, but he is going to get paid as though he was actually good.

100 ERA+ in 2021. 100 ERA+ in 2022. And he is probably going to get like 4/$70 million when the dust settles.

Meh.

Well, regardless, I absolutely hope we aim higher than Taillon. 

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, regardless, I absolutely hope we aim higher than Taillon. 

I'm skeptical that that will be accomplished through Free Agency with the way the market is heading. I think if the O's are going to get a true intriguing talent for the rotation, it's going to be in the form of a trade.

I believe ERA+ works off the league average - just for the sake of conversation I'll say 100+ ERA is good for a starter.

The relieverization of an ever bigger share of all pitching is a thing - the feature of the Taillon type guy is the volume they deliver their performance at.

Taillon was comfortably in the top half of SP last year, so he probably deserves about a B among MLB-wide #3 starters.    How is Pablo Lopez any different than him?