“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Thanks. That makes more sense the Orioles are loaded with SS prospects, I can't see them making an offer for Correa. I want the Orioles to spend in free agency, but that's not a move I'd be in favor of making. 

Don’t care about Jack Rose…. Believe we were involved at some level. Can’t show hard evidence as even the notable personalities are spitballing. That said, I’m glad they didn’t get him for what he signed for. 

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Red Sox: 2 titles with the Manny deal.

Yankees: 1 title with AROD, Tex, CC and Jeter

Boston: 1 title with Price, Martinez and Pedroia

Dodgers: 1 title with Dodgers (asterisk title)

Nats: 1 title with Scherzer, Corbin, Strasburg and Zimmerman

Cubs: 1 title with Heyward And Lester.

Giants: 2 with Cain extension 

Pujols, Posey and Acuna won but they would have been under contract anyway.

Bregman and Altuve just won but they were extensions, not FA signings.

Did I miss anyone?

Is this complete?  Any more stragglers?

If it is, of the 123 9 figure contracts, 21 of those players won a title and 3 of those 21 would have been on the team whether they had that contract or not. 

If I don’t include those 3, it works out to be about 15%.

If I take away the contracts starting this year and in 2022 (giving those teams more time to win), that knocks the total down to 96 deals.  That puts the number close to 19% have won at least one title.

Of those who won, 11 of the contracts were on 3 teams.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Ortiz seems to be the hidden gem of the system. I also wonder if it’s possible Westburg can be a corner OF if needed. Obviously potential trade candidates. 

I'm not so sure about that. I think his defense is well known, but there's still skepticism about the bat. Either way, he's a useful prospect. If the bat comes along, his value skyrockets.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Honestly, if they don’t sign Evoldi, Greinke,or Wacha, I have to think they fall back to Lyles. Unless, they are going to take a shot on Duffy who didn’t pitch last year. Otherwise, there isn’t anything better than our internal options.

Not sure why we've all seemingly forgotten about the possibility of a trade.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not so sure about that. I think his defense is well known, but there's still skepticism about the bat. Either way, he's a useful prospect. If the bat comes along, his value skyrockets.

Not sure why we've all seemingly forgotten about the possibility of a trade.

Not impossible…but rumors are he wants to hang onto our prospects. You can’t have both unless teams value Urias or Hays.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Not impossible…but rumors are he wants to hang onto our prospects. You can’t have both unless teams value Urias or Hays.

I take him at his word that he intends to get 2 SP. Maybe they're both through FA. Not sure. I do believe another is coming though and I really don't think it'll be Wacha.

Or another possibility is they sign another cheap guy like Wacha and also make a trade.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Elias said he "doesn't want to give prospects away".    He also said he didn't want to trade ML regulars from his roster.  BUT, he's stated multiple times that he is "wide open to trades", could get the #1-#3 pitcher through FA or trade.    I think Elias realizes he has to do one (prospects) or the other (ML pieces) or both in order to facilitate a trade.    

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias said he "doesn't want to give prospects away".    He also said he didn't want to trade ML regulars from his roster.  BUT, he's stated multiple times that he is "wide open to trades", could get the #1-#3 pitcher through FA or trade.    I think Elias realizes he has to do one (prospects) or the other (ML pieces) or both in order to facilitate a trade.    

He also said we were on liftoff and the recanted. John Angelos has meddled and change the plan. I observed the Elias was good on his word almost to a T before the Lift off statement. Now I’m not sure I can put credence in what he is saying. His credibility has been damaged even if it isn’t his fault.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He also said we were on liftoff and the recanted. John Angelos has meddled and change the plan. I observed the Elias was good on his word almost to a T before the Lift off statement. Now I’m not sure I can put credence in what he is saying. His credibility has been damaged even if it isn’t his fault.

Again, I'll agree with you if Gibson and someone like Wacha are THE two pitching additions.   Until ST, it's premature.   There are trade possibilities out there even if Wacha is signed.   There is a lot of speculation and conjecture.   Actions do speak louder than words but there is plenty of time for more action.

You have ZERO knowledge that John Angelos told Elias a budget number and then changed his mind.  ZERO, yet you state it like it's a fact.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Again, I'll agree with you if Gibson and someone like Wacha are THE two pitching additions.   Until ST, it's premature.   There are trade possibilities out there even if Wacha is signed.   There is a lot of speculation and conjecture.   Actions do speak louder than words but there is plenty of time for more action.

You have ZERO knowledge that John Angelos told Elias a budget number and then changed his mind.  ZERO, yet you state it like it's a fact.

I agree with everything you are saying here, but while we do not have any facts about John Angelos giving Elias a lesser budget than he was expecting, it would explain this offseason so far.

I would prefer Elias work the trade market before signing a Wacha now that he has Gibson. With Wells, Voth and maybe even Hall as back up plans for the rotation, I don't think signing a Wacha type is needed at this point of the offseason.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, it’s premature but it’s also very predictable at this point. Elias made it very clear towards the start of the offseason that a mid-tier starter was in the cards. I’m sorry, but both Gibson and Wacha are back end guys and the upside for them is limited. Elias made the mistake of giving fans expectations and the Winter Meetings were sobering, not only for us fans but it really seems like for Elias too. I don’t think he’d have used the language he did late in the season and early offseason if he believed Wacha would be our Opening Day starter. Something changed. The insane inflation of free agents could be it, but he’s a smart guy and probably should have predicted that the first normal off season in a while would be a bit pricey. The only other sensible option is that the owners have changed their mind as to what kind of product they want on the field. They can still make money coming in 4th and using a bottom of the league payroll and it’s far less risky from a business standpoint. It’s not unfair to assume that John is clutching the purse strings and thinking he’d really like that 4th mansion or whatever the ultra wealthy do with their money. 

Edited by oriole

24 minutes ago, oriole said:

Yes, it’s premature but it’s also very predictable at this point. Elias made it very clear towards the start of the offseason that a mid-tier starter was in the cards. I’m sorry, but both Gibson and Wacha are back end guys and the upside for them is limited. Elias made the mistake of giving fans expectations and the Winter Meetings were sobering, not only for us fans but it really seems like for Elias too. I don’t think he’d have used the language he did late in the season and early offseason if he believed Wacha would be our Opening Day starter. Something changed. The insane inflation of free agents could be it, but he’s a smart guy and probably should have predicted that the first normal off season in a while would be a bit pricey. The only other sensible option is that the owners have changed their mind as to what kind of product they want on the field. They can still make money coming in 4th and using a bottom of the league payroll and it’s far less risky from a business standpoint. It’s not unfair to assume that John is clutching the purse strings and thinking he’d really like that 4th mansion or whatever the ultra wealthy do with their money. 

Elias also said that he didn't feel like the Winter Meetings were a deadline or that he needed to have something done by a certain date.  He also said that team were generally not discussing trades at the Winter Meetings while most of the FA's were still out there.  Again, if Wacha and Gibson are the upgrades then Elias didn't get it done.    I just think it's silly for 90% of the posters on here who think they know that Elias was given a certain budget and then it was take away or that he just flat out lied.

Time will tell but most can't wait.   How many times can you people keep saying the same thing, by the way?