Orioles potential SP target: Chris Bassitt profile

Tony-OH

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And that’s why I would probably give him the 4th year.  I just won’t like it.

Of course, if he flops, it shouldn’t matter but it will to this ownership.  That’s my concern.

What was the last FA contract we liked?

We never really think about this one, but the Wei-Yin Chen contract was spectacular.  

• Upvote 1

Tejada was sweet.    Also the precipitating event for finding here...water cooler with the guys started coming up short after Tejada said the Orioles aren't a losing team anymore.    

We had Melvin Mora and Sidney Ponson and Brian Roberts already, wasn't nothing gonna stop that club.

(Carlos Correa would be able to pass out quotes like that with a better chance of long-term success, though of course the 2022 Orioles were already not a losing team).

Bassitt improves the team. He doesn't take us to a serious contender. I think he needs to be the 2-3 starter if we are really focused on contending. He was the NYM #3 and they still couldn't get it done. With his age I don't think throwing big money at him is a good idea. If we want to seriously contend we should be looking at deGrom / Verlander / Rodon first and trying to sign Bassitt as the second supplement to the rotation or trading prospects for a Bassitt level starter. 

3 minutes ago, Stram said:

Bassitt improves the team. He doesn't take us to a serious contender. I think he needs to be the 2-3 starter if we are really focused on contending. He was the NYM #3 and they still couldn't get it done. With his age I don't think throwing big money at him is a good idea. If we want to seriously contend we should be looking at deGrom / Verlander / Rodon first and trying to sign Bassitt as the second supplement to the rotation or trading prospects for a Bassitt level starter. 

Mets had deGrom and couldn't get it done.  😀

8 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Can always add a 4th year with a team option and a significant buyout. 3/63 with a $22M team option and a $7M buyout. 

Just throwing stuff out there but you get my drift. 

Now that deGrom has secured 5 guaranteed years, I think Bassitt definitely gets a 4th guaranteed year and comes pretty close to moving up into the "Just Ain't Happening, Bro" tier with Verlander and Rodon. I really don't see the Orioles doing 4 years AND an AAV of $18-22 million. 

7 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Now that deGrom has secured 5 guaranteed years, I think Bassitt definitely gets a 4th guaranteed year and comes pretty close to moving up into the "Just Ain't Happening, Bro" tier with Verlander and Rodon. I really don't see the Orioles doing 4 years AND an AAV of $18-22 million. 

Cost of doing business. The last thing the Orioles should do is spend for the sake of spending but if you don’t spend now you never will. Cheap roster and your two best players are still pre-arb. 

Glaring need for SP.