Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

OK, yes, put him on the playoff roster, go right ahead. I just hope we don't use him in a playoff context in a situation like the one he just faced. Like someone said in the game thread, he seems to be a coin flip whether he's going to dominate like he did tonight, or lay an egg.

The elephant in the room is that we need Felix back, but wrong thread for that. Fuji is not a substitute for Felix, but I'm not sure we'll find better options on the waiver wire in September, and I certainly don't like the few, existing alternatives on the staff. Fuji is the best of the bullpen's B team.

If we have serious aspirations for going deep into the playoffs, we're going to need excellent starting pitching and offense. No one will mind watching Fuji pitch the 9th with a 3+ run lead. But backing him into a corner in extras with a 1 run lead... you don't get away with a win in that situation often enough.

Edited by allquixotic

On 8/29/2023 at 11:47 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I hope that we never have to use Fuji in the ninth and either the game is tied or there's a one run lead. I simply dont trust him.When he has a big lead , he's fine...but I wouldn't use him in a high leverage situation. Has not impressed me when it really mattered.

How about the 10th?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I've been wrong before...I'll be wrong again....Fuji came up big tonight getting the strikeouts to end the game...he was great tonight...and I was wrong...and he'll falter again...and I'll whine again...but thats what being a fan is about...and this page is also about..Every player has the ability to shine in any situation, and fail in any situation too...thats sports...but tonight it was thrilling to see what he can do when he commands his pitches...

I couldn't agree more.  Fuji definitely has a Jekyll and Hyde vibe.  But he came up huge and prevented a loss that would have stung after the Rays had the dramatic walkout win in the 10th inning of their game against the Saux.

On 8/29/2023 at 11:47 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I hope that we never have to use Fuji in the ninth and either the game is tied or there's a one run lead. I simply dont trust him.When he has a big lead , he's fine...but I wouldn't use him in a high leverage situation. Has not impressed me when it really mattered.

This didn't age well Roy. ;)

Fuji is such an enigma because he's a guy with the stuff to do what he did last night, but also a guy that you really have concerns about because of his inconsistencies. 

The fact that Hall got the save opportunity over him in the 9th shows the Orioles feel the same way.

Good Fuji is a lot of fun to watch for sure and with a guy on 3rd and one out in a close game late, outside of Bautista, I'm not sure there's a reliever I'd rather have on the mound than him. 

On 9/2/2023 at 12:33 PM, Bird Lady said:

Interesting back story. I really didn't know his whole situation, just what I've seen from his stats and of course his appearances in the big leagues this year. 

Obviously he's a roll of the dice every time he's out there because you don't know what Fuji you will get. The good news is he's only had one bad appearance in his last 7 games.

image.thumb.png.d9d2ea599d5d5cecfc1d45f3c70a4922.png

The thing that stands out to me is he hasn't walked a batter over these last seven games so maybe, just maybe, he's figured something out with the Orioles as he's gotten settled in with this pennant race thing.

Last night he was money, but I think the key is we've seen the good Fuji six times in his last 7 games and that's decent consistency.

Let's hope he can keep it up because this pen needs him due to his ability to miss bats.

• Upvote 2

Last night Fuji said this after the game:

"Each outing, I feel like I get better.  Especially after tonight's outing, I gained more confidence".

Hopefully that's true.  Early on he kinda did look like a deer caught in headlights.  Like he wasn't prepared to be on a good team in big situations.  I feel like he does look more confident and he's hitting his spots a lot better.

Hopefully it continues and he can be an asset moving forward.