Orioles Sign Franchy Cordero

Yardball85

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It does seem like there is something in the works with Mountcastle being traded, though if Cordera or Diaz are any kind of serious backup plan to Mountcastle being moved then that's not good news. 

It seems like depth to me. Both Diaz and Cordero are obviously not the type of players you guarantee any time to after proclaiming “lift off”…but at the same time, if Mountcastle has an injury then it causes a pretty big problem. We’d end up seeing Nevin or Vavra at 1B. Good to know there’s options, though it’s hard to see Cordero as anything but a DH.

1 minute ago, oriole said:

It seems like depth to me. Both Diaz and Cordero are obviously not the type of players you guarantee any time to after proclaiming “lift off”…but at the same time, if Mountcastle has an injury then it causes a pretty big problem. We’d end up seeing Nevin or Vavra at 1B. Good to know there’s options, though it’s hard to see Cordero as anything but a DH.

If Cordero is DHing games for the Orioles next year, Elias' offseason plan was a giant failure. Not sure why it took a $1.35 million split contract to sign him though. 

• Upvote 1

We've asked too often about backup 1B around here.    Franchy was about 50th percentile in chase rate among MLB Bats with 250 PA last season, a lot better than Mountcastle, but of course a worse hitter.

To the extent Eve giving Glenn Clark quotes about guys who fit our park and we think we can help, Diaz and Cordero together in one day I guess hint at the type.    One's a fluke, two's a trend.

Franchy feels kind of Jake Fox level.    Is Mountcastle just using Sarasota to get ready comfortably while Franchy's in World Series mode on March 2nd?

Roster build wise as is, Franchy does feel like a better chance for a HR late pinch hitting for Jorge Mateo or the backup catcher (or even Austin Hays or Ramon Urias in Walltimore...).     The Chirinos money on the MLB split hints to me he'll have a fair chance at making the team.

Edited by Just Regular

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Cordero is DHing games for the Orioles next year, Elias' offseason plan was a giant failure. Not sure why it took a $1.35 million split contract to sign him though. 

I agree 100%, when I say he should DH I am referring to his abysmal defensive reputation (as I understand it)

He had an 84th percentile sprint speed last year. He hasn't played a lot of CF but he at least has the speed for it.

He has pretty significant L/R splits, with a .714 OPS vs righties last year. The walk rate's not bad, and the max EV is 99th percentile.

So that's the upside. I hope he's mostly in the minors, but if we need an extra backup due to injury who could cover a few spots, we could do worse.