Orioles Sign Franchy Cordero

Yardball85

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't know about, "up in arms", but I doubt they're going to pay him just below the league minimum to play for Norfolk. 

I don't follow baseball, especially other teams like I used to, but I've never heard of him.

The extra money is a way to buy in essence an option from the player. If the Orioles let him go and he is picked up by another team he has to bet that team will keep him in the majors the rest of year. 

Even if he gets picked up that team could release him in 2 weeks. 

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Sounds more to me like a guy that they plan on giving a pretty good chunk of AB's to in Baltimore during the '23 season.

You honestly think that? No way. 

If you want to try to read much into it maybe they are looking for depth at 1B because they are moving Mountcastle and are moving Santander or Stowers to 1B.

To be clear….. I am not saying this is their thought process. 

Nothing like signing a bad left-handed version of Ryan Mountcastle. 

Sig's computer:
OBP: bad
AVG EV: Mediocre
Ability to hit offspeed: Bad
Poor Slash line after 700+ Major League PAs: Yes
Defense at 1B: Bad
Defense in outfield: Bad
High MAX EV: Yes

Computer output: Sign to contract

Can't make this up!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You honestly think that? No way. 

If you want to try to read much into it maybe they are looking for depth at 1B because they are moving Mountcastle and are moving Santander or Stowers to 1B.

To be clear….. I am not saying this is their thought process. 

It does seem like there is something in the works with Mountcastle being traded, though if Cordera or Diaz are any kind of serious backup plan to Mountcastle being moved then that's not good news. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It does seem like there is something in the works with Mountcastle being traded, though if Cordera or Diaz are any kind of serious backup plan to Mountcastle being moved then that's not good news. 

I'd rather get Connor Norby some cleats with lifts in them and stick him at first.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I think they are more backups to the backup plan if anything.  

You mentioned Stowers at 1B before as an idea. I wouldn’t mind a Brantley or JD Martinez coming here. I would prefer Brantley as more of a DH. I don’t want Santander in the OF much. Brantley has also been a LF for just about all his career. Health of course is the question. 

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think they are more backups to the backup plan if anything.  

You mentioned Stowers at 1B before as an idea. I wouldn’t mind a Brantley or JD Martinez coming here. I would prefer Brantley as more of a DH. I don’t want Santander in the OF much. Brantley has also been a LF for just about all his career. Health of course is the question. 

I heard Stowers has never, ever played the position and when he was given some work there before games, he has a long, long way to go before he would be playable.