Elias quote potentially tells us a lot

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Would the Marlin be interested in Urias? Maybe Urias, Hays, and a prospect for Lopez? Or just Urias and Hays?

It’s hard to pull off a huge deal but I could see Miami having some level of interest in about a half dozen Orioles.  

Their lineup is abysmal. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Urias did deserve the GG last year. I would be surprised myself if they moved Mateo to UTI for Westburg at 3rd. 

I’m not saying that Westburg can’t be a 3rd baseman. Once we know what they think of him the puzzle pieces will fit. 

Yea he deserved it and based off of that quote, they don’t play on playing him there.

Is that for Gunnar or Westburg and if it’s not Westburg and they don’t plan on him at second, what happens with him? Traded?  Move to first/DH/ everywhere?

12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

But wouldn’t Elias just tell them that when he talks to them? Why would he play cutesie with reporters instead of just telling other GMs the info? If Elias wants to trade Urias he wants as many suitors as possible. He wouldn’t hide that from other GMs. 

That’s possible, but if he tells reporters he’s trying to trade Urias and then doesn’t that doesn’t look too good. Who knows what the cryptic bits and pieces we get really mean? 

19 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Would the Marlin be interested in Urias? Maybe Urias, Hays, and a prospect for Lopez? Or just Urias and Hays?

From what I have read, CF seems to be Miami's top priority, so if Arizona enters the picture for one of the Marlins' SPs, I think we immediately lose. They have like 4 young CFs with 5 or 6 years of control to deal from.

12 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Yup, Urias will spell Mateo and Gunnar on their days off. Vavra will probably slide into 2B on those days.

Basically, this is just telling me that the Orioles currently plan on giving Mateo and Urias full playing time.

I also think Elias puts a lot of value on guys being able to play a variety of positions all over the place. That’s key to maximizing your playing time.

Yeah, with Gunnar and Mateo both being capable of playing SS, and Urias being capable of covering 3B when Gunnar is not there, Vavra would be the only backup IF you would really need on the bench full time, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to also read this as saying Westburg and Ortiz start the year at AAA if both Urias and Mateo are still here on Opening Day.

45 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

This would seem to confirm that a 3B Gunnar, SS Mateo, 2B Urias arrangement is the current plan.

Not really a surprise IMO, that is what I already thought it would be if no one was traded.

Sort of. Mentioning 1B and DH indicates he isn't exactly thrilled with the plan. Sounds more like he sees Urias as a Zobrist type utility guy rather than a true every day player. Or could be available for the right offer. 

I think Urias could be a sneaky choice to play some 1B if he isn't traded. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Sort of. Mentioning 1B and DH indicates he isn't exactly thrilled with the plan. Sounds more like he sees Urias as a Zobrist type utility guy rather than a true every day player. Or could be available for the right offer. 

I think Urias could be a sneaky choice to play some 1B if he isn't traded. 

Zobrist was a true everyday player for 10 consecutive years (2009-2018).  His breakout year was 2009 when he was 28 and he played every position except catcher while putting up a 149 OPS+.  Next year will be Urias' age 28 season.  Sign me up for the same development curve.

I think Elias did convey some direction for the team last night.   Here are some points:

1) 10m for Gibson is a little more then expected.   Mike seems all in on Gibson getting 30 starts next year.  The team is projecting him to be much better than his stats in Philly because of the  O's defense, Wall and  the O's pitching coaches.

So we can pencil  in Kremer, Bradish, Grayson and Gibson in the rotation at the start of the season.   Mike seems to be aggressive pursuing another  FA starter.  Which means he projects Wells and  Voth helping the pen.  Either or both could be bulk pitchers if Grayson becomes an opener  a some point in the season.

It does not sound like they are projecting for Hall to be in the rotation to begin the season.   Not said but I do think they still think of him as a developing starter and are not ready to switch him to a relief role.  If Hall develops Gibson on a one year contract could be a trade chip at the deadline.

2) Sounds very much like Mike prefers  supplementing the team with FAs over trading away prospect talent.   Not saying he would not trade prospects but he does sound like he wants to see how the current prospects fit  into the team rather than trading them.

3) Mike values the defense of Mateo, Urias, Adley and Mullins.  He projects Gunnar as an impact player on offense and defense probably at 3B. The Urias to 2B comment seems to mean that.  He is using these guys defensive abilities to sign FA pitchers.

4)  He confirmed the reporting that he wants to add a left-handed bat.   Someone that can play 1B/DH, RF at home and LF on the road.   So not a speed guy.  A guy with some pop and defensive versatility. Doesn't sound like JD Martinez or Mancini are fits.

Edited by wildcard

8 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

But wouldn’t Elias just tell them that when he talks to them? Why would he play cutesie with reporters instead of just telling other GMs the info? If Elias wants to trade Urias he wants as many suitors as possible. He wouldn’t hide that from other GMs. 

I’m sure when they say everyone is on the table except Adley and Gunnar that says it all. You can look late in the season and see that Urias has been unseated. If your a club needing a 3B he’s probably on your list.

I think the problem is that last years team is built a lot more like a Tampa Bay team in that there's a big focus on run prevention. They are now at a point where the prospects are ready and now they have three glove first players in the lineup at SS, 3B, and LF. Nobody else is paying for glove first players even though their WAR's are nice. They're more the type of guys that are a 2nd or 3rd person in a trade. Nobody is giving up a meaningful prospect or current major league contributor for Mateo, Urias, or Hays. If the O's needed a SS, 3B, or LF would you be ok with them trading a top 10 prospect for them?