Your Rule V Orioles: RHP Andrew Politi (Red Sox)

Explosivo

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the deal with this guy?  The 40 man roster is getting pretty snug. Especially if we add a SP or eventually add Westburg. I know we will bring him to ST just to see what he has, but I also think we’ve missed out on some potentially better waiver claims that have options. 

The bullpen is so valuable to us. I just don’t see how we have the luxury to carry a rule 5 guy that sort of profiles like a Travis Lakins type. Unless I’m missing some Pitch FX data or spin rate analytics. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the deal with this guy?  The 40 man roster is getting pretty snug. Especially if we add a SP or eventually add Westburg. I know we will bring him to ST just to see what he has, but I also think we’ve missed out on some potentially better waiver claims that have options. 

The bullpen is so valuable to us. I just don’t see how we have the luxury to carry a rule 5 guy that sort of profiles like a Travis Lakins type. Unless I’m missing some Pitch FX data or spin rate analytics. 

Way too early to be worrying about this right now. There are guys on the 40 that can be dropped and probably pass through waivers.

48 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Way too early to be worrying about this right now. There are guys on the 40 that can be dropped and probably pass through waivers.

Like who?  Logan Gilaspie?  I’d wait to see if we add SP depth before I’d risk losing Zimmerman or Baumann. I’ll give you Lewin Diaz too, but as of now I like him for the 4th bench spot or at least to go to ST. 

The big negative for Politi is that we can’t send him down to the minors for a fresh arm. 

• 6 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 8:11 PM, DocJJ said:

The Noah Song pick is fascinating to me.  He was one of the most Dominant college pitchers ever (although Navy may not have played the toughest schedule) back in 2019.   Then he had to honor his military commitment, so he only has 17 innings under his belt and those were thrown almost 4 years ago.  He had (has?) electric stuff and was unhittable in 2019, leading the entire NCAA in K's.  

His 2019 numbers for the Midshipmen:

11-1  1.44 ERA 94 IP 161 K's 31 BB 15.4 K/9

Maybe stash him in the bullpen for a year and then he's all yours.

From the department of irrelevant information, it appears that that the Song is over for Noah with the Phillies - looks like he was DFA'd.  Thought he would have been an interesting pick.  Back to our regular programming.