The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

Just now, owknows said:

Nobody said it was easy.

But I believe it's possible, and the Elias seems to have a knack for the most important aspects of it.

Good drafting decisions and improvements in player development have created a rolling 5 year conveyor belt that looks pretty stacked from top to bottom... Careful stewardship and strategic harvesting could keep that rolling for a decade or more.

You argument seems to be that nobody's doing it, so it's impossible.

I make my living ignoring those kinds of sentiments.

I literally mentioned that the Rays are doing it and have been for over a decade.

We have also not seen any evidence that Elias can extend players and not much evidence that he can get the type of return in trades this plan requires.

We also don't know how his drafting will work when he doesn't have high picks and one of the largest pools.

1 hour ago, vab said:

They just need to get this team sold and get some solid ownership in here by the time the Rutchsmans and Hendersons are due to get paid. 

Co-sign. I know someone will say what if the new ownership group is even worse. After the last 29 years I’ll take my chances with someone outside the Angelos family.

I’m hoping all this inaction in free agency is merely a result of preparing the team for sale rather than the same old cheap ownership.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I literally mentioned that the Rays are doing it and have been for over a decade.

We have also not seen any evidence that Elias can extend players and not much evidence that he can get the type of return in trades this plan requires.

We also don't know how his drafting will work when he doesn't have high picks and one of the largest pools.

The Rays are flirting with it..  They still spend more on FA's than I propose.

And as for judging Elias' prowess fir extensions, trades, and drafting... a little premature for anything but drafting.. no?

But I like what I've seen so far.

I think Elias was told at some point in his tenure that they would increase his budget...then they decided to sue each other and that provided a pretty easy out for increasing payroll. 

Anything is possible with the time between now and first pitch, but I wouldn't be surprised if payroll is either the same or close to last season.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm never going to agree with this idea.

I've not seen any evidence that a stripped to bare bones franchise brings more than one with a normal payroll.

If anything a low payroll tells me they aren't selling and are instead pulling as much profit from the team as they can on a year by year basis.

If someone is paying a billion for a team I don't think an extra 30Million a year in payroll is going to be a deal breaker.

I'll believe they are selling the team when it actually happens.

Why would they need to sell if they are making millions of dollars every year and are barely doing anything.

They'll probably keep doing this until the franchise is basically a corpse.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think Elias was told at some point in his tenure that they would increase his budget...then they decided to sue each other and that provided a pretty easy out for increasing payroll. 

Anything is possible with the time between now and first pitch, but I wouldn't be surprised if payroll is either the same or close to last season.

Or the plan hasn't changed from day one and Elias is fine with it.

Just now, mall-O-cup said:

I'll believe they are selling the team when it actually happens.

Why would they need to sell if they are making millions of dollars every year and are barely doing anything.

They'll probably keep doing this until the franchise is basically a corpse.

The inheritance tax is a thing.  But for right now yea, it's a pretty sweet deal.

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'd find it at least as likely that Elias didn't see a whole lot of FA's up to and including the winter meetings that he thought were a good fit, and worth the asking price. I suspect he made what he thought were fair offers for the talent of interest, and got outspent by teams that were willing to overspend.

And he wasn't (willing to overspend)

I personally have no problem with this... as I see at least as much talent graduating from the farm which would be impeded by expensive signings.

Edited by owknows
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, owknows said:

I do.

• I want to see them redefine baseball  by building and sustaining a farm, and trading strategically toward the end of team control for more resources to put back on the assembly line, creating a perpetually winning team.

• Fixed that up for you a bit.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'd find it at least as likely that Elias didn't see a whole lot of FA's up to and including the winter meetings that he thought were a good fit, and worth the asking price. I suspect he made what he thought were fair offers for the talent of interest, and got outspent by teams that were willing to overspend.

And he wasn't (willing to overspend)

I personally have no problem with this... as I see at least as much talent graduating from the farm which would be impeded by expensive signings.

This is my take as well.  I’m not into conspiracy theories where Elias goes out on a limb with a statement and then ownership pulls the rug out from under him.  And I also don’t think Elias said anything he didn’t believe.  He just hasn’t found the opportunities that are to his liking yet.  And, it’s certainly possible that he misjudged how robust the FA market would be and missed some opportunities.

My oh my - the sky is falling. For once in a long time, I like this team. Ownership be damned. I like following the young players we have and root for their growth. I've reconciled myself/learned to not get cought up in FA pluses and minuses. Keeps my blood pressure more under control. Whatever happens going forward, I still think we have a young team that will compete and make some noise.  I am going to judge the Orioles in 2023 by the level of improvement they make on the field not the size of their payroll.

• Upvote 1