The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

You seem to be making an awful lot of absolute pronouncements about the dire consequences of not signing big Free Agents,  about a team that played winning baseball without signing any big free agents, and hasn't even graduated the first bolus of draft talent into the majors yet.

I dunno man... seems like you're maybe overthinking it a little.

I think your underthinking it a lot.

Folks here have this "It's easy" mindset.

The GM of the Orioles is competing against 29 other folks and in any given year 28 of them are every bit as talented and educated and gifted as he is.  Everyone is trying to do this stuff to some extent, even the teams with more resources.

I also don't think you will ever find a record of me making a large case out of signing a particular "big free agent".  Not sure where you got that from.  I'm saying your theory of team building witch precludes even Rays level of free agent spending isn't tenable.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

You are most certainly like all people entitled to your opinion.

Gee, thanks

I’m curious do you live in the market? And if so, how do you think operating like this will impact the teams relationship with it’s fans in the community?

I suspect that if they make the playoffs every year without having multiple 250 million dollar players signed, their fans will love them all the more for it. I know I will.

Do you you have have any fear that a perpetual rebuilding approach or at least an approach similar to the Rays where you never “go for it” no matter how close, will have a similar effect of our fans as it has had on Rays and A’s fans? Like how long do you think aiming for “2nd place” will work?

You seem to be suggesting that you must either sign multiple big-contract FA's, or you're not "going for it"

I reject your false dichotomy.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I missed it.  The Ray's fans aren't coming to games because the Rays win but don't have any "fan favorites"?  Is that what you're selling?

I’m not selling anything. You and anyone here or elsewhere is entitled to believe and think whatever you like.

I am very concerned about the Orioles taking a similar approach that the Rays have done and the effect that may have on the fans in the community.

I want the Orioles to be relevant like the Ravens are. Not to be semi-successful in a silo while most people tune them out and nobody shows up at the games.

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I'm assuming you're a parody/trolling.  Please tell me that is what you are doing here.  

Either that, or you were sent here by the Angeloses. 

Aren't you the guy who just a couple days ago wagged your finger at me in self-righteous indignation, and said something like "thankfully Elias see things more like Yardball".

• Downvote 1

Aren't you the guy who just a couple days ago wagged your finger at me in self-righteous indignation, and said something like "thankfully Elias see things more like Yardball".

No.  It's just that not a single competent Orioles fan agrees with your suggestions on how to do things.  You are one of the most absurd posters I have ever come across on here. 

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

No.  It's just that not a single competent Orioles fan agrees with your suggestions on how to do things.  You are one of the most absurd posters I have ever come across on here. 

It's nothing personal.  I don't know you obviously.  I am just amazed that there is a fan out there that is saying what you are saying with a straight face.  Spend LESS in free agency than the Rays?  LOL 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd be down with it if I thought it would work.

It's be great.

I don't want the O's to sign free agents just because.

I've advocated for some of this stuff, still do.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

He's 100% trolling (or trying to). That's become abundantly clear in this thread.  It's really not worth engaging / responding to him anymore than we already have. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Before analytics, there were a bunch a guys in plaid pants talking about how absurd statistical math was, and that you needed to rely on old-fashioned scouts talking about players with ugly girlfriends.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd be down with it if I thought it would work.

It's be great.

I don't want the O's to sign free agents just because.

I've advocated for some of this stuff, still do.

Of course they shouldn't sign free agents just because.  They should make smart deals to be competitive, like the Bassitt deal or the Senga deal (if those players wanted to come here).  Hated the Taillon and Walker deals.  But to say no, we will not spend money on free agents, is, like another poster correctly said, giving yourself a razor thin margin for error with everything else you do.  There is just no reason for it, unless you care about the owner's pockets.

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

He's 100% trolling (or trying to). That's become abundantly clear in this thread.  It's really not worth engaging / responding to him anymore than we already have. 

Thank goodness you're here to keep people from thinking impure baseball thoughts.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

It annoys me because it is the exact opposite of what a competent team would do.  I just have to assume he/she is doing it to get under people's skin and move on.

Before analytics, there were a bunch a guys in plaid pants talking about how absurd statistical math was, and that you needed to rely on old-fashioned scouts talking about players with ugly girlfriends.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Cool.  Let's all enjoy everyone else sign good baseball players, while we hope that our non-proven players can be just as good, because owknows doesn't want to spend money. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

It annoys me because it is the exact opposite of what a competent team would do.  I just have to assume he/she is doing it to get under people's skin and move on.

Once again... it's like a scene from Moneyball.

Old Guys... Plaid Pants...  Making pronouncements about how teams HAVE to be run... cuz that's how we did it before... 

• Downvote 1