Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

1 minute ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

I love it! This place is jumpin. You should see the Georgetown basketball forum I frequent. Patrick Ewing is turning it into a ghost town compared to this place lol. 

How he wasn’t fired at the end of last season is a mystery to me.   Or now.  He’s awful.  

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Frazier was pretty good earlier in his career but he has really only had one good half season in the last three years.

2020: .230/.297/.364

2021 pre-trade: .324/.388/.448

2021 post-trade: .267/.327/.335

2022: .238/.301/.311

That said, maybe they see something that they believe they can fix to get him back on track.

True, but he’s been a 2 WAR per year  player over that timeframe despite that. 

Imagine we needed a 2B (which we don’t). Getting a 2 WAR guy on an 8M deal would be great.

People are acting like he’s a scrub, which he isn’t. He’s a good player, just doesn’t seem to fit the Orioles who have Urias, Vavra, Westburg, and Norby. Unless, like others have suggested, a trade is coming for a SP or MOO

• Upvote 1

The Frazier signing is confusing to me. I am currently assuming someone on the infield is traded but even then it is a bit rich in value to me. I was perfectly fine going into the year with Gunnar, Mateo, Urias, and Mountcastle as the starting IF with Westburg playing the utility role as he breaks in and seeing how things went from there. I can understand Norby and Ortiz needing a half season at AAA since they didn't get there until near the end of the year. A bridge to them is more understandable but that is why we have Urias and Mateo. Would he provide any value in the outfield so that Santander could be moved to DH? Or are we already better off with Stowers and Mckenna? Only way this is makes sense to me is if one of Urias, Westburg, or Mateo end up traded soon.

For anyone keeping track of "lift off"...

New York Yankees: $645,000,000 in commitments so far.

Baltimore Orioles: $18,000,000 so far.

Now, I understand that Baltimore will never spend like that but putting those numbers down like that is just astonishing to me. It's hard to take baseball seriously when there's discrepancies in what one team can spend compared to others.

51 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

For anyone keeping track of "lift off"...

New York Yankees: $645,000,000 in commitments so far.

Baltimore Orioles: $18,000,000 so far.

Now, I understand that Baltimore will never spend like that but putting those numbers down like that is just astonishing to me. It's hard to take baseball seriously when there's discrepancies in what one team can spend compared to others.

I misread the Yankees expenditures. They have only spent $573.5 million.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I like Norby, but (1) he’s played all of 9 games in AAA, and (2) nobody’s raving about his defense at 2B.  I think he’s got a good shot to reach the majors in 2023, but it won’t be until midseason or later.   

Maybe you missed my prior post where I said. If they were going to go with a dumpster signing why not just go with Westburg or Norby. 

I like the Frazier signing.   Looks like a good veteran left-handed bat at 2B/LF/RF.   I don't see that it will cause a trade.  It may allow one but it does not require one.  Here are the 13 position players:

1. Mountcastle   1B/DH

2. Frazier  2B/LF/RF

3. Mateo SS

4. Gunnar  3B/SS

5. Hays LF/RF

6. Mullins CF

7. Stowers RF/DH/LF

8. Santander  DH/ RF/LF

9. Adley   C/DH

10.  Urias  2B/3B

11.  McKenna  CF/RF/LF

12.  Westburg  2B/1B/DH

13.  BC Catcher TBD

It pushes Vavra to AAA.  Its allows more time for Ortiz and Cowser to develop.   Norby is not a major league 2B.  He is a bat.  Maybe just a DH but time will tell.

Frazier is  a platoon guy vs righties with a career .343 OBP vs righties.   Urias career OBP vs righties is .349.   So either can play 2B.   If will be interesting to see how often Hyde plays Urias at 3B and Gunnar at SS to increase offense.

Frazier also fits well in LF.  Hays career OBP vs righties is .306.   Hays has more power and plays well when healthy but does not play well when playing hurt.   Frazier is a better back up LFer until Cowser is ready.

Frazier and Gibson on one year deals are both trade candidates at the deadline.   When Cowser and Ortiz may be ready if not before.

I have seen Frazier referenced to as slow in this thread.  I would like to hear more about why Frazier is slow.  I have not picked that up otherwise so far.

I don't think spending on Frazier will stop Elias from acquiring another SP.  And if Frazier is traded at the deadline he will have cost about 5.6M this season.

Both Frazier and Urias had down offensive years in 2022.  Having both hedges the O's bet that one of them returns to form.  Urias sold out his averages for power.   I don't know what Elias thinks about that.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1