Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I hear you ….but, for most of the season Odor played every day. If Hyde does that it’s a bad signing. I don’t see them paying him $8 million for a part time role.

We’re talking about a guy who’s literally played in 95% of his teams’ games the last four years.  He’s not being paid $8 mm to play half the time.   

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is an example of poor process even if it turns out well.

That’s fair.  But how long do we harp on that?  I was hoping for a TOR with FA signings as well.  And voted that the Frazier signing was a bad decision.  But we also keep talking about how lucky we were health-wise in 2022.

Bringing in Frazier (and other signings) raises the floor over Odor and diversifies health risk ($20+m in one player).

Earlier, I questioned if Elias misread the TOR costs heading into this off-season.  Now I’m wondering (blind hope some might say) if he knew exactly what was going to happen and positioned the team for a trade (now or at the deadline).  Those were variables that I didn’t consider when setting my expectations but I can see some wisdom including them in the process.

We point fingers at Elias/GMs thinking they are the smartest person in the room.  Some of us need to look in the mirror at some point as well.  We simply don’t have all the facts and data they do.  Yet we think we know best.

Any way, back to storming the Bastille!

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

If Frazier is a 2 WAR guy?  Still bad?

CAn I turn this around a bit? What if Frazier does rebound and becomes a 2 WAR player, but Westburg and Ortiz OPS .850+ at AAA while waiting? Is it still a good deal if Westburg or Ortiz are trapped in AAA? 

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

CAn I turn this around a bit? What if Frazier does rebound and becomes a 2 WAR player, but Westburg and Ortiz OPS .850+ at AAA while waiting? Is it still a good deal if Westburg or Ortiz are trapped in AAA? 

Are we winning in the AL East with him contributing? Then yes.   Are we in last place again?  Then no and I would probably trade him  and bring the kids up or maybe Hays is on the DL and Santander needs to DH more and Frazier could play out there too. 

Or it could be that Westburg is at .650 OPS and then is it a good deal? 

I just think a one year deal with a guy with a track record and a multiple position capability gives us all kinds of flexibility for 2023 unforeseen events. 

Edited by tntoriole

46 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Are we winning in the AL East with him contributing? Then yes.   Are we in last place again?  Then no and I would probably trade him  and bring the kids up or maybe Hays is on the DL and Santander needs to DH more and Frazier could play out there too. 

Or it could be that Westburg is at .650 OPS and then is it a good deal? 

I just think a one year deal with a guy with a track record and a multiple position capability gives us all kinds of flexibility for 2023 unforeseen events. 

You missed the point of my question. This has nothing to do whether or not you think Frazier will reach 2 WAR or not, it was to ask the question if he did reach 2 WAR, but prospects like Westburg and/or Ortiz were performing that well in AAA indicating that may be worth as much or even more than Frazier, would you still be ok with the deal?

Just a simple question.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You missed the point of my question. This has nothing to do whether or not you think Frazier will reach 2 WAR or not, it was to ask the question if he did reach 2 WAR, but prospects like Westburg and/or Ortiz were performing that well in AAA indicating that may be worth as much or even more than Frazier, would you still be ok with the deal?

Just a simple question.

I think that would be a good problem to have.  So I would not be unhappy with the deal, no.  

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just a simple question.

I would say the deal itself would be good, but if they don't then make a trade with their surplus players in this situation, I would be disappointed.

Yankees just signed ex-Nat infielder Wilmer Difo to a split major/minor contract that will pay him $1.2 million when in the majors.

Difo is a switch hitter.

Marcels projection has Adam Frazier OPS of .682 this year, Wilmer Difo at .681.

Just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yankees just signed ex-Nat infielder Wilmer Difo to a split major/minor contract that will pay him $1.2 million when in the majors.

Difo is a switch hitter.

Marcels projection has Adam Frazier OPS of .682 this year, Wilmer Difo at .681.

Just sayin'.

Over 1200 ML PAs Difo has been worth a grand total of 0.0 WAR.

Not comparable players.  Not comparable contracts.