Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

The postulate of the other thread was that LA would eat a considerable portion of his salary for a player or two in return. As opposed to getting nothing for him.

OK, gotcha.   Thanks for the clarification  

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Not gonna happen.

But I can't honestly see anybody trading for him.

That's why I suggested that the O's make a play for him. They eat money. The Orioles get a potential top-end starter. 

We throw in a player to fill a position of need for them (or players/positions) and they throw in an additional arm. 

I maintain that Mullins + Mateo for Bauer and May would be organization changing for the Orioles and make them an immediate playoff team and possibly WS contender. 

You figure out how to make up for the loss of Mullins if you receive two frontline starters in return for him. Mateo is valuable but not as valuable to the Orioles as he would be to the Dodgers. 

Edited by banks703

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

OK, gotcha.   Thanks for the clarification  

Right.. If the Dodgers cut him and he signs with anyone, they Dodgers are still on the hook for his salary (or the difference of what the acquiring team pays). His total 2023 salary amount does not change. What changes is how much of it the Dodgers pay and how much the acquiring team pays. 

With Bauer's full pro-rated salary on the books, the Dodgers are almost literally right at the CBT threshold. If they want to avoid paying that tax and make any further moves to bolster their team for this upcoming season, they need the acquiring team to take on some of his money. 

Someone is going to trade for Bauer. 

Edited by banks703

1 minute ago, banks703 said:

Right.. If the Dodgers cut him and he signs with anyone, they Dodgers are still on the hook for his salary (or the difference of what the acquiring team pays). His total 2023 salary amount does not change. What changes is how much of it the Dodgers pay and how much the acquiring team pays. 

With Bauer's full pro-rated salary on the books, the Dodgers are almost literally right at the CBT threshold. If they want to avoid paying that tax, they need the acquiring team to take on some of his money. 

Someone is going to trade for Bauer. 

From what I've read this isn't the case.

He was on paid administrative leave, when he was later suspended that money, which was paid to him, was forfeited (50 games worth).

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was on paid administrative leave, when he was later suspended that money, which was paid to him, was forfeited (50 games worth).

The article linked above provides fiscal details.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's why I mentioned that are on the hook for his full pro-rated salary (due to the 50 games that they docked him but that he is not suspended for in 2023). 

54 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The other question that hasn't been brought up is the same one I asked in the Hosmer thread.

If the Dodgers cut him, and he clears waivers, then any team can have him for the minimum salary and the Dodgers have to make up the rest of his contract.

That being the case, he is going to make the same amount of money no matter where he goes.   The Orioles couldn't "bid" against another team for his services.   If his contract is $32 million, and the Orioles offer $2 million and another team offers $1 million, he's getting $32 million either way; it's just a matter of whether the Dodgers are paying $30m or $31m and his new team is paying $1 or $2.   At least that's how I understand it.

So to get him to come here we would have to convince him that, for non-monetary reasons, we are the best choice among however many teams are interested in him.   How do we do that?

Couldn't the Orioles and other teams bid on salary relief going back to the Dodgers?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Couldn't the Orioles and other teams bid on salary relief going back to the Dodgers?

In a trade, yes.   If he was released, cleared waivers,  and became a free agent, Bauer wouldn't care about salary relief to the Dodgers so he would have to make his choice for non-monetary reasons.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In a trade, yes.   If he was released, cleared waivers,  and became a free agent, Bauer wouldn't care about salary relief to the Dodgers so he would have to make his choice for non-monetary reasons.

Then Dodgers will definitely try to get something back, whether cash, prospects, or a combination.

I don't know what's right or wrong, but I don't trust him.

That opinion is mostly because I thought he was a prick before all of this came out. I think he's arrogant and unlikable, so these accusations don't surprise me. It also doesn't mean he committed a crime. I'm just not sure I want that guy in my clubhouse.

As much as we could use a good starter, I'd rather not tarnish our reputation with him.  First, I bet he stinks without special resin grip.  Second, what a PR headache.  I'd like our team to win with a bunch of good upstanding honest people.

The following facts I know to be true:

Sadly, many people accused of wrongdoing are presumed guilty even though they are supposed to be presumed innocent.

Even if intimate contact is consensual, one human being should never strike another or choke another with such force that it causes bodily damage, severe pain, or psychological trauma.

Some people try to extort money from rich famous people.

During the 2021 investigation, the Washington Post discovered a prior restraining order from another woman who made identical allegations stemming from an incident in 2017.  Where there is smoke, there is often, though not always, fire.

The DA often will elect not to try a case if there is insufficient evidence to win in the court room.

We'll never know the truth.  The Bauer incidents could be any of the above.  But I don't want him.  Hard pass.