Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If they throw out a complete garbage bunch of acquisitions and next year is a retread of 2022, I think it's safe to assume two things:

1. Absolutely nothing is going to happen with this franchise until Peter dies

2. Elias is not going to be here very long 

Orioles payrolls when Buck was here and Peter was running the show ,the payrolls where in the middle and as high as 10th  DId not spend on analytics, farm  system or international signings 

Edited by Going Underground

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

1) Depth type moves are pretty much the only moves the team has made this offseason.

2) I think O'Hearn has a much better chance of making the team as the DH vs. RHPs/backup 1B than you realize.

Yes, easily. Getting Stowers ABs clearly wasn't much of a priority last year and he didn't exactly hit the cover off the ball in the limited playing time he was able to eke out when Aguilar and Phillips weren't starting over him. I would not be the least bit shocked if he starts 2023 in Norfolk, even with the complete lack of meaningful additions to the team thus far.

So saying that a legitimate upgrade like Josh Bell or JD Martinez or Justin Turner would have been taking ABs away from Stowers is pretty silly. 

How is it silly. Stowers played a bunch last year. He didn’t rot on the bench. Why don’t you think Stowers will be on this roster? 

13 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If they throw out a complete garbage bunch of acquisitions and next year is a retread of 2022, I think it's safe to assume two things:

3) Elias spent money just to spend it.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

How is it silly. Stowers played a bunch last year. He didn’t rot on the bench. Why don’t you think Stowers will be on this roster? 

Elias did talk about getting another OF on a par with Hays and Santander who would rotate with them in the of and DH.   That could still happen. It seems like the Mazzara, Cordero, O'Hearn moves plus previous talk is all pointing towards Stowers 26 man spot being in jeopardy.

Seems to be to be a philosophical issue. 

If the club is not making a substantial upgrade to the offense why add pieces at all? I don’t know how anyone can be jumping for joy over what he has done with the lineup but clearly he had a plan and executed it.  

I’m not bothered he is spending a limited amount of money on improving the club. We can debate how much but the depth and options are better than last year. You still have all the potential options during the season like Cowser and Westburg. 

Edited by eddie83

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias did talk about getting another OF on a par with Hays and Santander who would rotate with them in the of and DH.   That could still happen. It seems like the Mazzara, Cordero, O'Hearn moves plus previous talk is all pointing towards Stowers 26 man spot being in jeopardy.

I would be surprised if Mazzara/Cordero is here over Stowers. If so that tells me he has little faith in him at all. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes.  Many trades have been announced exactly like that. They just don't use the word nothing.

The MacCan trade is the Mets sending us McCann and cash for a PTBNL.   You think the PTBNL was essential for that trade to get done?

Apparently, since the PTBNL was indeed clearly included.  As you said, I've never seen a trade that shows the consideration from one side as being "nothing."  I can certainly see the possibility of a trade like I'm saying is possible as being, indeed, possible.  Again, how do you think they would present the deal in that case?   I see no other alternative than to present it exactly as has been presented in the O'Hearn deal, with the consideration BAL is giving KC being "cash considerations."   You haven't shown me anything to the contrary, so I'm sticking with "we don't know" until such time as we do.  Maybe  BAL wanted O'Hearn badly and felt it was worth it to pay his $1.4 million salary in full plus send additional moneys to KC.  I'm just submitting that another possibility exists.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Seems to be to be a philosophical issue. 

If the club is not making a substantial upgrade to the offense why add pieces at all? I don’t know how anyone can be jumping for joy over what he has done with the lineup but clearly he had a plan and executed it.  

I’m not bothered he is spending a limited amount of money on improving the club. We can debate how much but the depth and options are better than last year. You still have all the potential options during the season like Cowser and Westburg. 

If they had spent nothing beyond Gibson, I would be happier than what they have done. 

I liked the Givens sign but if they never did it, it’s ok. They could have gone other routes.

Not even a big fan of the Gibson signing but they did need to add someone, so I can live with it.

But most of the moves aren’t even for promising guys and they block younger guys. Just awful execution of what should have been a very important offseason.

Edited by Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Would depend on what the contract Elias signed looked like.

I'm guessing there is a mother of a no compete clause in there if he quits.

Just now, eddie83 said:

I would be surprised if Mazzara/Cordero is here over Stowers. If so that tells me he has little faith in him at all. 

They may just want to give him more AB's in Norfolk. His plate discipline was 5 walks and 29 K's.  Was good not great in Norfolk.

I was looking at Westburg's splits and you can see the adjustments from month to month.  Early in the year he walked little and struck out close to 30%. He bottomed out in July.  Then in August he walked 23 times and struck out 23 times(20%) but only hit .222.  He got a little more aggressive in September (13:23) and finished great.

As much as we may not like it, Elias may want these guys as fully baked as possible.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Apparently, since the PTBNL was indeed clearly included.  As you said, I've never seen a trade that shows the consideration from one side as being "nothing."  I can certainly see the possibility of a trade like I'm saying is possible as being, indeed, possible.  Again, how do you think they would present the deal in that case?   I see no other alternative than to present it exactly as has been presented in the O'Hearn deal, with the consideration BAL is giving KC being "cash considerations."   You haven't shown me anything to the contrary, so I'm sticking with "we don't know" until such time as we do.  Maybe  BAL wanted O'Hearn badly and felt it was worth it to pay his $1.4 million salary in full plus send additional moneys to KC.  I'm just submitting that another possibility exists.

Ok. Another possibility exists. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they had spent nothing beyond Gibson, I would be happier than what they have done. 

Ok. I disagree. Adding to the depth of the team is better than doing nothing. 

Teams that view themselves as playoff contenders always try to make their roster deeper. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ok. I disagree. Adding to the depth of the team is better than doing nothing. 

Teams that view themselves as playoff contenders always try to make their roster deeper. 

I’m all for adding depth…but depth doesn’t equal warm bodies. They added warm bodies, not good depth.

For example..I wanted Hays to become depth this year. Now maybe he will if/when Cowser is up but for now, he’s not and I think that’s a bad plan.

I don’t  see good depth on this team right now, at least in terms of “proven players”