Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

O’Hearn is below average. Frazier is below average. McCann is below average. Practically everyone they picked up this off-season outside of Givens and maybe Gibson are below average. 

Do you disagree?

I’m not sure what we’re calling “average” here.   I think McCann is likely to be above average for a backup catcher.  Frazier could be an average 2B if he bounces all the way back; I’m not counting on that and am expecting him to be somewhat below average but not terrible.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

O’Hearn is below average. Frazier is below average. McCann is below average. Practically everyone they picked up this off-season outside of Givens and maybe Gibson are below average. 

Do you disagree?

McCann is below average as a backup? 
I can’t argue about O’Hearn but he in once again the 26th man. Frazier is not a bad player. 

Look at how much playing time Odor, Nevin, Chirinos had last year. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Signing cheap, MiL FAs for AAA depth is fine.

Making them largely your only moves and give them real at bats and trying to sell us on them is entirely different.  

Thats what you aren’t getting.

If the Os had signed Abreu and Eovaldi and traded for one of the Marlins pitchers and were dedicated to the young players starting,  these deals would barely get mentioned and no one would care we signed them. 

But when it is your whole offseason, for the most part, it’s an issue.

I don’t care what spin the Orioles push. 

I can separate wanting more and seeing in that in a specific area they are better. 

I think what I personally find most upsetting about this offseason is that since mostly everyone here is disappointed (thus far) with the team’s “moves”, we have continued to incessantly bicker and nitpick with one another. 

I just want to get to the part soon where something good happens and/or we start to consistently win games. I just can’t be bothered to argue with anyone about Ryan freaking O’Hearn, because it’s not worth it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

McCann is below average as a backup? 
I can’t argue about O’Hearn but he in once again the 26th man. Frazier is not a bad player. 

Look at how much playing time Odor, Nevin, Chirinos had last year. 

McCann isn’t average as a backup C. He’s probably below average if they try to play him anywhere else. 

Still though, an upgrade at backup catcher, while a good thing, doesn’t move the needle a whole lot. 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

McCann isn’t average as a backup C. He’s probably below average if they try to play him anywhere else. 

Still though, an upgrade at backup catcher, while a good thing, doesn’t move the needle a whole lot. 

McCann could end up being one of the best backup catchers in team history and he’s backing talent wise the best catcher in team history. 

Hopefully they don’t experiment too much with McCann at 1B/DH and the O’s find a solid bat for that role. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea saying he played a bunch last year is so ridiculous.

How much is “a bunch?”   He started half the games (24 of 46) during the period he was on the team, and got into 12 other games as a pinch hitter or defensive replacement.  I would have liked to see him play more, but I’d agree with eddie83 that he wasn’t “rotting on the bench.”   

Anyway, what is the point we are considering now?   As I understand it, the question is whether adding another legit bat would take at bats away from Stowers.   I think the answer is, it almost inevitably would.  How many at bats would he get as the roster is presently constructed?   

Just now, Frobby said:

How much is “a bunch?”   He started half the games (24 of 46) during the period he was on the team, and got into 12 other games as a pinch hitter or defensive replacement.  I would have liked to see him play more, but I’d agree with eddie83 that he wasn’t “rotting on the bench.”   

Anyway, what is the point we are considering now?   As I understand it, the question is whether adding another legit bat would take at bats away from Stowers.   I think the answer is, it almost inevitably would.  How many at bats would he get as the roster is presently constructed?   

Well, considering he should have been brought up 2 months prior, I don’t care if he played half the games here..not to mention they kept benching him vs lefties despite his success vs them in pro ball.

They handled him stupidly last year and this year is trending towards something similar, which is really funny considering their over the top obsession with lefties.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, considering he should have been brought up 2 months prior, I don’t care if he played half the games here..not to mention they kept benching him vs lefties despite his success vs them in pro ball.

They handled him stupidly last year and this year is trending towards something similar, which is really funny considering their over the top obsession with lefties.

I agree Stowers should have been brought up sooner (I don’t know about two months, but certainly immediately after Mancini got traded), and should have played more once he was up.  It’s too late for that now, so my question is, how much will he play this year?   

Don’t bother answering me here.  I’m going to start another thread on playing time allocation.