Not an April Fools Joke - Lewin Diaz Back, O'Hearn DFA

Yardball85

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

At one point.  KC thought he was worth 1.4M on a ML contract.   The Orioles felt he was worth 1.4M as a depth piece at AAA or it's possible they get some salary relief if they release him before OD.   As of right now, he's a 1.4M AAA player with a chance to make the 26-man roster IF no one claims him.    Absolutely no record or reporting of KC sending money to offset any of the 1.4M salary.   The Orioles sending money to KC wouldn't reduce the 1.4M, obviously.

Here is what the old CBA said; I haven’t heard anything about amendments to this provision in the new CBA, which hasn’t been made public.

“A. Off-Season
A Player who is tendered a Uniform Player’s Contract which is subse- quently terminated by a Club during the period between the end of the championship season and the beginning of the next succeeding Spring Training under paragraph 7(b)(2) of the Uniform Player’s Contract for failure to exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability shall be entitled to receive termination pay from the Club in an amount equal to thirty (30) days’ payment at the rate stipulated in paragraph 2 of (1) his Con- tract for the next succeeding championship season, or (2) if he has no contract for the next succeeding championship season, in an amount equal to thirty (30) days’ payment at the rate stipulated in paragraph 2 of the Contract tendered to him by his Club for the next succeeding championship season.”

That seems to suggest that maybe the O’s would only be on the hook for $240 k  by DFAing him now, but it’s not completely clear.

I think maybe I’ve wasted enough energy trying to understand the rationale and financial ramifications of the O’Hearn moves.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think Santander must be lacking defensively at 1B.  Errors can cost you games.   They supposedly worked him out at 1B last year and I assume he didn't look good there.   Now, your point is that they should be able to stick someone else there in case of an emergency is a fair one.   I just don't think Santander is that guy.   Apparently, Rutschman and McCann are possibilities.   I'm doubtful they would carry a guy whose main job is to backup 1B but we'll see.

Sure if they want to use someone else, fine.  Santander was a convenient choice for me since I like the bat more than the outfield glove.

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I know you love playing contrarian, but come on. That’s a terrible reason to carry someone like OHearn on the roster. Mountcastle might need a few days break? McCann or Adley can play 1B. We could also be proactive and get Stowers some time there in ST. 

Well, I'm not so much a contrarian as that I think Elias is pretty smart and try to follow his thinking.   I'm not entirely sure what he's up to all of the time but I think he has his reasons.   Just because we don't understand them, doesn't mean they were stupid.   I don't get a lot of this stuff but I think there is a lot of overreaction on here and things tend to make more sense over time.   People overreacted about O'Hearn and now, we don't know if he'll even be in the organization (he probably will), or if he's AAA insurance or a ML player.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

And both of those options suck. We would be better off with any random waiver claim or current prospect. It’s like he’s making moves to show he knows how to do it. 

He is making moves on the margins. All teams add depth. I don’t think he is doing this to show off. 

I don’t think the players they have added own agents and families would promote them as major pieces. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

It's like putting all your time, money, and energy into making amazing dinner rolls for Thanksgiving, and ignoring the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. 

If you only really nail one thing at Thanksgiving it needs to be the gravy.

Great gravy can save your turkey, stuffing, rolls and mashed potatoes.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here is what the old CBA said; I haven’t heard anything about amendments to this provision in the new CBA, which hasn’t been made public.

“A. Off-Season
A Player who is tendered a Uniform Player’s Contract which is subse- quently terminated by a Club during the period between the end of the championship season and the beginning of the next succeeding Spring Training under paragraph 7(b)(2) of the Uniform Player’s Contract for failure to exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability shall be entitled to receive termination pay from the Club in an amount equal to thirty (30) days’ payment at the rate stipulated in paragraph 2 of (1) his Con- tract for the next succeeding championship season, or (2) if he has no contract for the next succeeding championship season, in an amount equal to thirty (30) days’ payment at the rate stipulated in paragraph 2 of the Contract tendered to him by his Club for the next succeeding championship season.”

That seems to suggest that maybe the O’s would only be on the hook for $240 k  by DFAing him now, but it’s not completely clear.

I think maybe I’ve wasted enough energy trying to understand the rationale and financial ramifications of the O’Hearn moves.

This changed. 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/non-guaranteed-contract

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you only really nail one thing at Thanksgiving it needs to be the gravy.

Great gravy can save your turkey, stuffing, rolls and mashed potatoes.

Agreed.  I was thinking of using gravy for my metaphor, but good gravy would save the mediocore turkey, etc. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

No, I don’t think that has changed.  The rules described in that link about getting cut in spring training are the same under the old CBA.

Per the 2022-26 collective bargaining agreement, arbitration-eligible players who settle with their teams on a salary for the subsequent season without going to a hearing will be eligible to receive full season termination pay, even if they are released prior to the start of the season (this rule will go into effect after the 2022 season). Previously

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ah yes, I now see the brilliance of paying over minimum for bad players as backups. My bad. 

I understand the frustration with the offseason. Looking at this for what it is… we had no LH internal depth options for 1B. We just got two of those. We just improved the 40th/41st spots on the 40 man roster. All for 700k. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

"Per the 2022-26 collective bargaining agreement, arbitration-eligible players who settle with their teams on a salary for the subsequent season without going to a hearing will be eligible to receive full season termination pay, even if they are released prior to the start of the season (this rule will go into effect after the 2022 season). Previously, the salary for such players only became guaranteed if the player was on the Major League roster or injured list when the regular season began. Arbitration players who were cut before then would be owed either 30 or 45 days' worth of termination pay, depending on the point in Spring Training the player was released."

So the way I read this, the Orioles are on the hook for all $1.4 million of O'Hearns salary if he passes through waivers which could very well mean i was wrong, the Orioles very well be paying a AAA 1B, $1.4 million this year.

Jim Carrey Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, I'm not so much a contrarian as that I think Elias is pretty smart and try to follow his thinking.   I'm not entirely sure what he's up to all of the time but I think he has his reasons.   Just because we don't understand them, doesn't mean they were stupid.   I don't get a lot of this stuff but I think there is a lot of overreaction on here and things tend to make more sense over time.   People overreacted about O'Hearn and now, we don't know if he'll even be in the organization (he probably will), or if he's AAA insurance or a ML player.

I mean we’re fans on an Orioles message board. Of course we’re gonna overreact. I think there have been a lot of questionable additions to the ML roster since he took over and I think it’s fair to pint them out when they occur. There was no reason for Owings to have been signed last year and then continue to be on the team after showing how terrible he is. Same with Bemboom last year and again this year. I’m concerned because I haven’t seen Elias show the willingness or ability to make this a contending roster, regardless of the budget he has for the ML team 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I understand the frustration with the offseason. Looking at this for what it is… we had no LH internal depth options for 1B. We just got two of those. We just improved the 40th/41st spots on the 40 man roster. All for 700k. 

Why do they need one?

I mean having a good one is nice.

But I don't want a guy just because he's left handed.

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He is making moves on the margins. All teams add depth. I don’t think he is doing this to show off. 

I don’t think the players they have added own agents and families would promote them as major pieces. 

Roch did try to sell OHearn as the LH bat when he was traded.