International Signing Period starts Sunday Jan 15th - O's to make biggest signing in their history

Tony-OH

11 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

If they pull off one or more of these, it will slightly lessen the sting of a weak off-season, with the results TBD years from now.

It’s all too easy for us to remember when the team’s idea of “international signings” meant claiming Rio Ruiz off waivers in 2018, or getting Miguel Gonzalez from the Mexican league in 2011. 

By “lift off” he meant flying teenagers off the island.  

• Haha 2

I have a good feeling about our top signing. He’s a NJ kid. We’ve been really good at drafting. So it’s not just a typical Dominican signing. 

These classes are so important because if we do extend Adley, Gunnar, GR, etc…, we need these guys to have roles on those teams at the league min. That’s also assuming we will be drafting at the bottom of the 1st rd, hopefully. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have a good feeling about our top signing. He’s a NJ kid. We’ve been really good at drafting. So it’s not just a typical Dominican signing. 

These classes are so important because if we do extend Adley, Gunnar, GR, etc…, we need these guys to have roles on those teams at the league min. That’s also assuming we will be drafting at the bottom of the 1st rd, hopefully. 

Is this the last class not to go into the international draft?  

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

6'3 at 16 years old? Yeah, I think he's going to outgrow SS unless he turns into some 6'7 uber athlete like the Pirates Cruz.

Has nice reflexes though

Damn good balance.  Most peeps would have been off balance and taken that ball in the face.  I saw a guy knock his teeth out once in BP.  Fouled it straight down off the plate, popped up and caught him in the mouth.  Lotta blood.  

*Already rocking the O's hat!  

Edited by emmett16

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As far as I know yes.

Players decided against it and the QO was put back into the mix.

A LOT of folks thought the players would back down and they held firm.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the current international free agency system benefits current MLB players more than an international draft would?  Just wondering why the players are so dead-set against an international draft.

Maybe it's my glass-half-empty nature, but I can't help wondering how different the Orioles' past, present and future might look if this stuff had been happening for the past couple of decades. Even if it meant there wasn't enough money to sign Chris Davis.

Thanks again, Peter Angelos.   :mad:

11 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the current international free agency system benefits current MLB players more than an international draft would?  Just wondering why the players are so dead-set against an international draft.

I honestly think they are just looking out for the young international players.

I think you have enough prominent members of the Union that come from that area and think that a draft will be damaging to the area.