Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

26 minutes ago, AdamK said:

At this point in Toronto's season (1 game back from WC and facing a 17 game stretch playing .381 teams after this series) I don't think they can afford to pitch to Mounty. 

Walk him, then.  I think Mounty has been a bit more selective since coming back, he's not swinging at crap all the time.  

I'm fine with them pitching around him.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Walk him, then.  I think Mounty has been a bit more selective since coming back, he's not swinging at crap all the time.  

I'm fine with them pitching around him.

The ideal scenario.

My concern is how they execute not giving him something to hit, without hitting him. Because... Toronto. 

• Upvote 1

I've talked about hoping that players make incremental adjustments to their plate discipline before; he looks like he's done it, and they broke it down in a lot of detail.  He's still getting fooled at a similar rate, but he's swinging overall less, and he's looking more for meatballs and swinging less at pitcher's strikes and borderline balls.  The O's seemingly have had a lot of this happen recently with their development team, and it really feels like they have a good way of breaking down the process of swing decisions in a way that makes sense to major league hitters, because it seems like all their hitters in the minors have come up with a great approach.

Of course they do this blurb after he scuffled against the Jays, but he hit the ball hard a couple times today without much to show for it.

Edited by Hallas

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I've talked about hoping that players make incremental adjustments to their plate discipline before; he looks like he's done it, and they broke it down in a lot of detail.  He's still getting fooled at a similar rate, but he's swinging overall less, and he's looking more for meatballs and swinging less at pitcher's strikes and borderline balls.  The O's seemingly have had a lot of this happen recently with their development team, and it really feels like they have a good way of breaking down the process of swing decisions in a way that makes sense to major league hitters, because it seems like all their hitters in the minors have come up with a great approach.

Of course they do this blurb after he scuffled against the Jays, but he hit the ball hard a couple times today without much to show for it.

Mountcastle doesn't have great career numbers against Berrios, though he has a couple of home runs.  Before the game I noticed McCann has very good numbers against Berrios including 4 home runs.  I was a little surprised Hyde did not sit Mountcastle (or somebody) so Hyde could DH (or catch), but McCann's numbers against Berrios are from awhile back.  Maybe Hyde isn't going off past season numbers or had other reasons, mainly Mountcastle's OB streak.

14 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Mountcastle doesn't have great career numbers against Berrios, though he has a couple of home runs.  Before the game I noticed McCann has very good numbers against Berrios including 4 home runs.  I was a little surprised Hyde did not sit Mountcastle (or somebody) so Hyde could DH (or catch), but McCann's numbers against Berrios are from awhile back.  Maybe Hyde isn't going off past season numbers or had other reasons, mainly Mountcastle's OB streak.

McCann's kinda banged up from taking a fastball to the hand yesterday.  I think that had something to do with it.

4 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

The last few games Mountcastle has started swinging all balls again. I think that’s the difference between what he is and what he could be.

52 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The last few games Mountcastle has started swinging all balls again. I think that’s the difference between what he is and what he could be.

Yeah, I noticed some pretty bad swings during the Toronto series.  I think his heater is probably over.  Now the question is, what does post-heater RMC’s next few weeks look like?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Yep this is just who he is. He’ll have insane hot streaks and then he goes right back to swinging everything. Incredibly frustrating because we all see the ability.