Athletic/Keith Law Ranks Os Farm System as #3

Pat Kelly

Maybe we should change his name to KLove.  Best set of position prospects in baseball.  Rankings (subscriber) here

The Orioles have the best collection of position player prospects in baseball, and it’s almost all come through the draft, although general manager Mike Elias’ commitment to participating in international free agency is already boosting the system with guys like Samuel Basallo. They might have four prospects who could be everyday shortstops in the major leagues, depending on what you think of Jordan Westburg’s glove, and most of their hitting prospects have some value on defense as well. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Oh no!  #3?!?!?!? Why does Keith Law hate the Orioles!??!?!?!

I bet we’ll be ranked first by most other outlets.  But I don’t take Law’s ranking as any bias against the O’s.   He’s certainly right when he says our system is “lopsided toward bats.”

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I bet we’ll be ranked first by most other outlets.  But I don’t take Law’s ranking as any bias against the O’s.   He’s certainly right when he says our system is “lopsided toward bats.”

I agree that I bet we're ranked higher by most other outlets. 

It's hard to argue against the lack of arms and that should ding the system.  The portfolio is intentionally bat sector heavy.  That focus (and drafting toward the top) has kick started org rebuild.  The Mancini/Lopez trades definitely helped, but I think the Hernaiz/Irvin trade was big step in the long-term org build in how it reallocates our talent gains.  Is the type of buy/sell trade that Elias has alluded to previously?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's probably still docking them points because of where the talent comes from.

Which is still stupid.

He’s not. He’s docking them because he doesn’t believe any of the pitching prospects, other than Rodriguez and Hall, project to be more than a fifth starter.  I’m sure he’ll provide more detail of what he thinks of Povich, Rom, etc. when his write up of the Orioles prospects is released. He noted that he had Hernaiz at 11th in the system, and that the surplus of hitting prospects and lack of pitching prospects should lead to trades like the Irvin trade.

Edited by Sydnor