Athletic/Keith Law Ranks Os Farm System as #3

Pat Kelly

Just now, Sydnor said:

He’s not. He’s docking them because he doesn’t believe any of the pitching prospects, other than Rodriguez and Hall, project to be more than a fifth starter.  I’m sure he’ll provide more detail of what he thinks of Povich, Rom, etc. when his write up of the Orioles prospects is released. He noted that he had Hernaiz and 11th in the system, but that the surplus of hitting prospects and lack of pitching prospects should lead to trades.

Cool.

Years past that wasn't the case.

Glad to see he's over that.

23 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

He’s not. He’s docking them because he doesn’t believe any of the pitching prospects, other than Rodriguez and Hall, project to be more than a fifth starter.  I’m sure he’ll provide more detail of what he thinks of Povich, Rom, etc. when his write up of the Orioles prospects is released. He noted that he had Hernaiz at 11th in the system, and that the surplus of hitting prospects and lack of pitching prospects should lead to trades like the Irvin trade.

As much as it pains me to agree with Law on anything, it's hard to argue against that I guess. I personally like Povich as a mid-rotation guy, but I would understand waiting to see what he does this year. Same with Rom. It's not easy to trust soft-tossing command lefties. Sometimes they end up as very capable mid-rotation guys (Milone, Irvin, Chen). Sometimes they end up as Lowther. Or sometimes they add velocity and look great out of the bullpen (Akin). 

I'm personally excited about Povich. I think he's a guy that could pop this year. But I'm saying that as a guy who believes in the Orioles' development team, not as a scout looking purely at the player. 

7 hours ago, vab said:

If you're number one in position player prospects you should be number one overall as volatile as pitching prospects are. 

I listened to Law on a podcast, and I believe he addressed this.  I’m assuming AZ is his number 1 (?).  He talked about their top end guys being better overall while Baltimore had more guys.  He’s very high on Ortiz and believes he and Henderson should both be in the lineup on the left side this summer.

He’s also very bullish on Hall and said that he’s better than Rodriguez but has been unable to prove it.

Law did a site podcast following his list's release, and his comments on DL Hall were pretty positive.

He also shared an anecdote "second hand from scouts talking to his teammates" how Grayson was telling them he felt good and wanted to pitch earlier last summer, but the Club was going conservative.    Law then volunteered he was a little surprised they didn't give him any Arizona innings.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:46 PM, backwardsk said:

I listened to Law on a podcast, and I believe he addressed this.  I’m assuming AZ is his number 1 (?).  He talked about their top end guys being better overall while Baltimore had more guys.  He’s very high on Ortiz and believes he and Henderson should both be in the lineup on the left side this summer.

He’s also very bullish on Hall and said that he’s better than Rodriguez but has been unable to prove it.

While it’s a fantasy bend, Prospects Live is still very bullish on Hall as well. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:46 AM, Sydnor said:

He’s not. He’s docking them because he doesn’t believe any of the pitching prospects, other than Rodriguez and Hall, project to be more than a fifth starter.  I’m sure he’ll provide more detail of what he thinks of Povich, Rom, etc. when his write up of the Orioles prospects is released. He noted that he had Hernaiz at 11th in the system, and that the surplus of hitting prospects and lack of pitching prospects should lead to trades like the Irvin trade.

I think this analysis puts way, way, way too much emphasis at the bottom end of the prospect list.  The Orioles have better top-end talent than the Dodgers and Cleveland, (both teams' top pitching propects are in the 30s and 40s, while Rodriguez is at 15) and Cleveland is the only team with more pitchers in the top 100.

IMO the bottom end of prospect lists are way too volatile and not really projectable in any meaningful way other than in very broad strokes, and I think the strength of the batters in our system should more than overcome that.  But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Hallas