Melanie Newman will not be doing the Apple TV baseball broadcast

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So yesterday, I’d forgotten that the game was on Peacock (which I don’t have) and that the game was starting early.  I got on my car to make a quick grocery run, about a 10-minute drive.  Melanie was doing PBP and going on and on about Sonny Gray’s use of the sweeper and how prevalent the sweeper is now.  Meanwhile, I’m waiting to find out the inning and the score.   Finally after several minutes, she mentions it’s the 6th inning, and after about 7 minutes of my 10 minute drive, she mentions that the pitcher is “trying to keep it a 1-0 game, but she doesn’t mention which team is winning!  I literally scream at the radio, and when I come to a stoplight, I have to quickly log onto orioles.com to see whether we are ahead or behind.   

I get to the store and take just a few minutes to get a couple of items and get back in my car to go home, and listen to Melanie announce the bottom of the 7th.   She almost puts me to sleep and I arrive home, put the groceries away and see on GameDay that the O’s nave a runner on base in the 8th, so I reluctantly turn on my radio, and…

It’s a miracle!   Kevin Brown is now doing the radio PBP and he is SO good.  I tune in just in time to hear the Hicks game tying hit, the O’Hearn semi-intentional walk and the Westburg plunking to put the O’s ahead, and then the Bautista three-K 9.   Brown describes the final pitch as “a 103 mile an hour MEGABALL!”  His call off the bottom of the 8th and top of the 9th was just fantastic.  

Honestly, it was the biggest contrast between two announcers calling the same game I can ever remember.  

Several years ago I downloaded the MLB app and I pay a couple bucks a month during the season to listen to any of the O’s games from anywhere I am. It gives you the option to choose which teams broadcast you want to listen to. It’s also great for scores and updates I highly recommend it if you don’t have it. 

11 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Weird that KB was doing the radio. He was doing the PBP on MASN at that time, so did they switch it over to a simulcast?

Yesterday's game was not on MASN, it was only televised by Peacock.    Brown and Newman shared the radio broadast, I listened to most of it, and as Frobby said the difference between the two was enormous.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So yesterday, I’d forgotten that the game was on Peacock (which I don’t have) and that the game was starting early.  I got on my car to make a quick grocery run, about a 10-minute drive.  Melanie was doing PBP and going on and on about Sonny Gray’s use of the sweeper and how prevalent the sweeper is now.  Meanwhile, I’m waiting to find out the inning and the score.   Finally after several minutes, she mentions it’s the 6th inning, and after about 7 minutes of my 10 minute drive, she mentions that the pitcher is “trying to keep it a 1-0 game, but she doesn’t mention which team is winning!  I literally scream at the radio, and when I come to a stoplight, I have to quickly log onto orioles.com to see whether we are ahead or behind.   

I get to the store and take just a few minutes to get a couple of items and get back in my car to go home, and listen to Melanie announce the bottom of the 7th.   She almost puts me to sleep and I arrive home, put the groceries away and see on GameDay that the O’s nave a runner on base in the 8th, so I reluctantly turn on my radio, and…

It’s a miracle!   Kevin Brown is now doing the radio PBP and he is SO good.  I tune in just in time to hear the Hicks game tying hit, the O’Hearn semi-intentional walk and the Westburg plunking to put the O’s ahead, and then the Bautista three-K 9.   Brown describes the final pitch as “a 103 mile an hour MEGABALL!”  His call off the bottom of the 8th and top of the 9th was just fantastic.  

Honestly, it was the biggest contrast between two announcers calling the same game I can ever remember.  

You just hate women..............the only reason you could hate Melanie.

Kidding.

Edited by Gurgi

10 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

You just hate women..............the only reason you could hate Melanie.

Kidding.

I know.  And I don’t hate Melanie, I just hate her radio PBP.  I don’t mind her on color, pre or post game shows and can even tolerate her on TV PBP.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I know.  And I don’t hate Melanie, I just hate her radio PBP.  I don’t mind her on color, pre or post game shows and can even tolerate her on TV PBP.   

Don't know how you can tolerate her TV play-by-play while hating her doing the same job on the radio side. IMO she's just terrible at it no matter what media she's on. Nothing against her personally, it's just not a skill that everybody has in their repertoire. She tends to watch the action and then (usually) attempt to describe what happened after the fact. I'd be the same way if somebody stuck a microphone in my face during a game. I blame the knuckleheads that keep putting her in that position, who are probably the same knuckleheads who decided to play the same "classic" O's game four times in a week during rain delays. 

38 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

She checks a box, not really a big deal compared to the FAA inspectors, the railroad safety personel, the bridge inspectors, etc. that check boxes.  At least she won't kill you.

Does there have to be a comment like this every time her name comes up?  It’s ridiculously sexist and inappropriate intolerable BS. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Don't know how you can tolerate her TV play-by-play while hating her doing the same job on the radio side. IMO she's just terrible at it no matter what media she's on. Nothing against her personally, it's just not a skill that everybody has in their repertoire. She tends to watch the action and then (usually) attempt to describe what happened after the fact. I'd be the same way if somebody stuck a microphone in my face during a game. I blame the knuckleheads that keep putting her in that position, who are probably the same knuckleheads who decided to play the same "classic" O's game four times in a week during rain delays. 

Because on TV you can at least see what’s happening. On radio you can’t figure out what’s going on because you can’t see it, and she is definitely not telling you. 

19 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I blame the knuckleheads that keep putting her in that position, who are probably the same knuckleheads who decided to play the same "classic" O's game four times in a week during rain delays. 

September 17th, 2020 is the greatest game in Oriole history.  How dare you disrespect that piece de resistance. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Don't know how you can tolerate her TV play-by-play while hating her doing the same job on the radio side. IMO she's just terrible at it no matter what media she’s on.

It’s very simple.   When I watch on TV, I know what inning it is, and I know what the score is.  I can see the action, so I don’t need an exact description of the play in front of me.   If Melanie wants to spend 5 minutes going into detail about Sonny Gray’s sweeper usage while playing scant attention to other things going on in the game, that’s fine, I might even welcome that discussion.  

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

She checks a box, not really a big deal compared to the FAA inspectors, the railroad safety personel, the bridge inspectors, etc. that check boxes.  At least she won't kill you.

The next time you have the urge to post something so embarrassingly misogynistic perhaps you should just go watch Leave it to Beaver reruns and reminisce about the good old days instead. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

The next time you have the urge to post something so embarrassingly misogynistic perhaps you should just go watch Leave it to Beaver reruns and reminisce about the good old days instead. 

I get a lot of creep vibes from this thread.

• Upvote 1