Melanie Newman will not be doing the Apple TV baseball broadcast

Going Underground

29 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

BTW it looks like tonight is another Apple TV game, which I had not realized before this morning.

Yes.  The number of these games is getting out of hand.  I feel like MASN should be giving me a refund for every game they don’t show.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What does MASN air while the games are on a rival network?  Sportcenter?

Probably the same potpourri of garbage they air when the Orioles and Nats aren't playing at all:

• Lots of low rent poker tours (and not new stuff either, years old reruns)
  • Horse racing contents from various race tracks
  • A good deal of boxing/MMA content, none of it live
  • Reruns of Orioles and Nats classics
  • Shows like Tom Davis' Talking Baseball

Of the above, I think the horse racing is the only live stuff, everything else is recorded.

Once college football and college basketball starts up you will get a lot of stuff like the weekly half hour coaches show featuring the football or basketball coach at various colleges like Duke or East Carolina.  And MASN airs college football (a little ACC but mostly conferences like Confernece USA) and lots of college basketball from a variety of conferences in the winter.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes.  The number of these games is getting out of hand.  I feel like MASN should be giving me a refund for every game they don’t show.  

Or MLB.  It's the league that's signing these alternate broadcaster game deals with NBC, Apple, and Amazon.  I don't think MASN gets a choice in the matter.

I did see an article the other day about a company (that I'd never heard of) that had managed to buy 20 or so RSNs, and has just filed for bankruptcy. 

So maybe that's a reason why MLB is experimenting with these alternate broadcasters.  

Well, that, and $ of course. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

BTW it looks like tonight is another Apple TV game, which I had not realized before this morning.

They added it to the schedule about a week ago. And they still haven't announced their Aug/Sept schedule yet, so there could be more, especially if the O's are still contending for the post-season.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It's MLB's fault, as noted by Morgan423.  And, much of the video on road games is provided by that team's broadcasters.  So, I suspect that much of the blame this week goes to the YES Network, not just MASN.

I've heard similar but I cannot believe a network like YES would have had that bad of production value. I know away team's RSNs share cameras/feeds, but the timing of the camera views definitely come from that RSN's production.

MASN was botching things like not even showing the field angle of Cowser's loud out to SS in his first AB. Plus it was not YES who decided to put John Means on an in game interview when Cowser was up for his first MLB AB.

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

I've heard similar but I cannot believe a network like YES would have had that bad of production value. I know away team's RSNs share cameras/feeds, but the timing of the camera views definitely come from that RSN's production.

MASN was botching things like not even showing the field angle of Cowser's loud out to SS in his first AB. Plus it was not YES who decided to put John Means on an in game interview when Cowser was up for his first MLB AB.

The other night (when the YES cameraman was injured), Kevin Brown was mentioning MASN camera operators being at the game in NY. So I agree that MASN appears to be to blame for the some of the issues that we've been seeing.

On 7/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, HakunaSakata said:

it certainly makes you a creep if you make a much broader comment (like the Webrick guy did) and imply that woman (in general) can't do jobs that men do. Maybe Melanie Newman isn't the best at her job, but there are plenty of women in the workforce who are. 

You are pandering like your in college and your girlfriend is right next to you listening to you.  

2 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

Or MLB.  It's the league that's signing these alternate broadcaster game deals with NBC, Apple, and Amazon.  I don't think MASN gets a choice in the matter.

I did see an article the other day about a company (that I'd never heard of) that had managed to buy 20 or so RSNs, and has just filed for bankruptcy. 

So maybe that's a reason why MLB is experimenting with these alternate broadcasters.  

Well, that, and $ of course. 

Prob thinking of Sinclair Broadcast.