• Carlos Rodon - 6 Years 162 Million
    • Trea Turner - 11 Years 300 Million
    • Xander Boegarts - 11 Years 280 Million
    • Chris Bassett - 3 Years 63 Million
    • Dansby Swanson - 7 Years 170 Million
    • Carlos Correa - 6 Years 200 Million
    • I Would Not Have Offered Any Of These Contracts
    • Other - Would Have Matched Contract On A Different Player

I don't hear it as much as I honestly thought I would, considering all of the hype going into this offseason about "wheels up". But I do still hear about how some are disappointed the O's didn't do more this offseason. So my question is, considering the contracts that the top guys got, would you have matched any of these contracts if you were running the Orioles? Or do you think the contracts handed out this offseason were way too long and lucrative and you're okay with the route the Orioles went trading for a Cole Irvin instead? 

17 minutes ago, BrendanPlutschak said:

I don't hear it as much as I honestly thought I would, considering all of the hype going into this offseason about "wheels up". But I do still hear about how some are disappointed the O's didn't do more this offseason. So my question is, considering the contracts that the top guys got, would you have matched any of these contracts if you were running the Orioles? Or do you think the contracts handed out this offseason were way too long and lucrative and you're okay with the route the Orioles went trading for a Cole Irvin instead? 

Verlander and Abreu (if not Abreu, maybe Josh Bell). 

3 minutes ago, BrendanPlutschak said:

Where would you have had Bell/Abreu play? DH?

Don't you think that's where Santander needs to be primarily at this point?

For me, they would split time at first and DH with Mountcastle.  I also would have traded Santander for more pitching, so OF of Hays/Mullins/Stowers. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

For me, they would split time at first and DH with Mountcastle.  I also would have traded Santander for more pitching, so OF of Hays/Mullins/Stowers. 

That makes sense if you're trading Santander. If we keep Mountcastle, Santander, Stowers I don't think there was enough time to give to either of those 2. But for sure a trade would've opened it up for them. I think I prefer Santander over those guys. 

I said Bassett because I think it was realistic.  I would have matched the Verlander deal, but matching it would not have made him an Oriole in my opinion.

If we could have signed Bassett (instead of he who shall not be named at 2B) and still done everything else that was done. I would be really excited about the season.  Of course I am really excited about the season anyway, but...

11 minutes ago, BrendanPlutschak said:

That makes sense if you're trading Santander. If we keep Mountcastle, Santander, Stowers I don't think there was enough time to give to either of those 2. But for sure a trade would've opened it up for them. I think I prefer Santander over those guys. 

I like Tony Taters, but his risk of injury and the fact that he will get more and more expensive tipped the scales for me to explore dealing him.

11 minutes ago, BrendanPlutschak said:

Where would you have had Bell/Abreu play? DH?

Don't you think that's where Santander needs to be primarily at this point?

Yes and yes.  But Santander could have been shopped.  Can you think of any teams interested in a package that could net them 30+ HR and 30+ SB?

I don't fault them for not signing either since there are still some in-house questions as well.  They clearly valued 1-year deals over bigger commitments.

5 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

The problem is that you never really know which of these FA’s would have accepted an offer from the Orioles in first place. In some cases we could have — or might have — offered the same deal (or even 10% more) and still not signed them. 

They might even had signed here for less if an offer had been made!

Just to chance to have Holt as your pitching coach.

Edited by Can_of_corn