Reed Garrett

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Actually, Jones’ comment is more eye raising to me. I don’t care why Connolly thinks.

None of those guys you mentioned are very good(although I want to see Baumann moved to the pen permanently and see what he can be there). So yes, the possibility exists.

They played against each other in Japan in 2020.   I wouldn’t put too much stock into that tweet.  Reed Garret is Cole Uvila.   He’s AAA with a chance for a desperation call up during the season.   Here’s a guy who might actually help at some point.  Wandisson Charles.

Ranked Oakland Athletics #30 prospect in 2021 
TRACK RECORD: Charles boosted his stock considerably in 2019, striking out 93 batters in 62.1 innings of relief between three levels, topping out at Double-A Midland. He spent 2020 pitching at both Oakland’s alternate training site and fall instructional league, showcasing the best fastball of any pitcher in Oakland’s system. 

SCOUTING REPORT: The hard-throwing righty regularly sat between 96-98 mph and occasionally touched triple-digits at both the alternate site and instructs in 2020. He pairs his imposing fastball with an above-average, late-breaking slider he’s capable of throwing in any count, and also features a work-in-progress changeup. Charles generates plenty of whiffs but also issues a concerning amount of free passes (16% walk rate in 2019). The A’s worked with him in 2020 to reduce the head tilt and stay more on line in his delivery in the hopes it will result in more strikes thrown, especially with his off-speed pitches. 

THE FUTURE: Improved command and a continued refinement of his delivery are keys for Charles in 2021. If he throws more strikes, he could help Oakland’s bullpen by the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They played against each other in Japan in 2020.   I wouldn’t put too much stock into that tweet.  Reed Garret is Cole Uvila.   He’s AAA with a chance for a desperation call up during the season.   Here’s a guy who might actually help at some point.  Wandisson Charles.

Ranked Oakland Athletics #30 prospect in 2021 
TRACK RECORD: Charles boosted his stock considerably in 2019, striking out 93 batters in 62.1 innings of relief between three levels, topping out at Double-A Midland. He spent 2020 pitching at both Oakland’s alternate training site and fall instructional league, showcasing the best fastball of any pitcher in Oakland’s system. 

SCOUTING REPORT: The hard-throwing righty regularly sat between 96-98 mph and occasionally touched triple-digits at both the alternate site and instructs in 2020. He pairs his imposing fastball with an above-average, late-breaking slider he’s capable of throwing in any count, and also features a work-in-progress changeup. Charles generates plenty of whiffs but also issues a concerning amount of free passes (16% walk rate in 2019). The A’s worked with him in 2020 to reduce the head tilt and stay more on line in his delivery in the hopes it will result in more strikes thrown, especially with his off-speed pitches. 

THE FUTURE: Improved command and a continued refinement of his delivery are keys for Charles in 2021. If he throws more strikes, he could help Oakland’s bullpen by the end of the year.

Ok. I didn’t ask you to put stock in Jones opinion. I really don’t care what you put stock into.

The Os signed him And invited him to camp for a reason. If Jones is right and he has good stuff (that obviously needs to be refined), there could be something there.

And considering the other options aren’t good and this team cycles through relievers like crazy, he has a chance.

• Haha 1

If it is just a short term need with Tate only out till May, then Pollit has a clear legup if he pitches as well as any of the other possibilities due to being able to be kept awhile longer and see if he is a true keeper. 
But I think it could be any of those mentioned if somebody pitches lights out in camp. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Givens was the Tate replacement. Elias knew all offseason that he was going to not be ready for OD. 

Garrett could be a good story, and relievers can have it click right away, but Khreibel was a solid arm for us last year. 

No one, including me, can remember how to spell Krehbiel.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok. I didn’t ask you to put stock in Jones opinion. I really don’t care what you put stock into.

The Os signed him And invited him to camp for a reason. If Jones is right and he has good stuff (that obviously needs to be refined), there could be something there.

And considering the other options aren’t good and this team cycles through relievers like crazy, he has a chance.

Truth is, you never know which of these guys might catch lightning in a bottle.   Two years ago, Felix Baustista was a 26-year old who’d never pitched above low A.   Throw them out there and see who surprises you.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Truth is, you never know which of these guys might catch lightning in a bottle.   Two years ago, Felix Baustista was a 26-year old who’d never pitched above low A.   Throw them out there and see who surprises you.  

Exactly. 

Garrett is a JAG.. but so is everyone else he’s in competition with. He has a real chance, just as those guys do.  

The Orioles have called up a lot of bad relievers over the last few years. Lots of guys getting chances and looks.

Garrett easily could be another one of those guys. Whether he sticks or not is a different question of course.

So wait, some people are excited over Reed Garrett because a reporter thinks his bullpen session looked good on the first day of camp? Really?

Garrett is a 30-year old right-handed reliever with a Fastball, sinker, cutter, split-change mix. He's got a career 7.66 ERA and a 2.35 WHIP in 20 major league games the cover 24.2 IP.

But hey, Cousin Eddie is like Christmas Vacation GIF after a bullpen session. lol

Honestly, there will be an opportunity with Tate out, but you have to believe Politte's chances of making team just went up if he looks decent. Maybe a guy like Garrett will suddenly find it, but I think there's a better chance of him going to Norfolk then making the team out of spring training.

• Haha 3