Tyler Wells as a starter

wildcard

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I wonder how pitching in the WBC will effect Kremer since he won't be around to compete for spots with the rest of the guys.

It shouldn't. We already have his body of work to go on. I don't see how Wells gets in our top five without an injury. If he makes our rotation, that would be by far the most likely scenario rather than Wells winning a "competition."

In a nut shell, Wells should be in the mix. He was incredible in the bullpen as a rookie. Last year his numbers were very good as a starter except his strikeout numbers. But there have been multiple reports and stories about how his strikeout numbers were low on purpose, because he was trying to get outs early in counts to preserve his pitch count. 

My concern with putting the best 5 guys in the rotation, and then putting Wells, Hall, and Voth in the bullpen, is who's coming up when there are injuries? Because we know that there's going to be some. If there's enough "long man" opportunities to keep all 3 of these guys stretched out in the bullpen, then we are in BIG trouble as a team. 

4 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I wonder how pitching in the WBC will effect Kremer since he won't be around to compete for spots with the rest of the guys.

He may only get one start for them, maybe 2.

They are in a pool with Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and Nicaragua.   I know they surprised last time, but I would be shocked if the Israeli team finishes in the top 2 in that pool and advances.  Just way too much talent in that pool.

So here is their schedule:

Team assembles in Miami Monday March 6

Exhibition game at Marlins in Jupiter Wednesday March 8

vs Nicaragua in Miami, Sunday March 12
vs Puerto Rico in Miami, Monday March 13
vs Dominican Republic in Miami, Tuesday March 14
vs Venezuela in Miami, Wednesday March 15

So if they don't advance, he's probably going to pitch against the Marlins March 8 and then in one of the WBC games, most likely Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic.   And he would be back with the Orioles by March 16 or 17.

BTW, here are the WBC pitcher usage rules, which pertain to  Orioles Kremer, Darwinzon Hernandez, Daniel Federman, and Ryan Long:

-- Pitch counts (can exceed during an at bat but must be taken out as soon as the at bat is over):

• First Round:  65 pitches
  • Quarterfinals:  80 pitches
  • Semifinals/final:  80 pitches

-- If a pitcher throws 50+ pitches he must have four days off.
-- If a pitcher throws 30+ pitches he must have at least one day off
-- If a pitcher pitches 2 days in a row he must have at least one day off.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BrendanPlutschak said:

In a nut shell, Wells should be in the mix. He was incredible in the bullpen as a rookie. Last year his numbers were very good as a starter except his strikeout numbers. But there have been multiple reports and stories about how his strikeout numbers were low on purpose, because he was trying to get outs early in counts to preserve his pitch count. 

My concern with putting the best 5 guys in the rotation, and then putting Wells, Hall, and Voth in the bullpen, is who's coming up when there are injuries? Because we know that there's going to be some. If there's enough "long man" opportunities to keep all 3 of these guys stretched out in the bullpen, then we are in BIG trouble as a team. 

Hall will be starting at AAA and if he finds enough command to get promoted his stuff will push someone out of the rotation.

I recognize Wells changed his style as a SP last year, but the story the marginal 2022 over 2021 changes tell isn't exactly an argument for the SP case.

2022 - 423 batters faced, 76/28 K/BB

2021 - 224 batters faced, 65/12 K/BB

That's about 200 extra batters, in which the extra K/BB was 11/16, a K-BB% of about -2%.

If you can get >20% K-BB for 60 innings from a pitcher, but the quality fades to 0 in IP 60-100, well...isn't that why Joey Krehbiel, Nick Vespi, etc. exist...to stream anywhere from one-third to two-thirds of the games.    

I'm sure the bean counting inside Orgs is more sophisticated, but I believe that's the gist of it, whether it is Tanner Houck, Garrett Whitlock, Matt Brash, Garrett Crochet, Brock Burke, maybe DL Hall.

Curious to see how Spring unfolds, but on improving roster I think Tyler Wells is perhaps "pitcher Ramon Urias or Jorge Mateo", drowned by the #RisingTide.    We'll see I guess by Spring Game 5 sometime next week whether Tyler Wells or Grayson Rodriguez starts a game for the Club first.     Veteranosity heat check for 2023!

• 1 month later...

Interested to see how Tyler continues tomorrow - despite my overall feeling the pen is where he ends up, I think he's got a SP gig as long as he doesn't slip up.

I was surprised how far they pushed Grayson that night he walked everyone at the end.    In the same vein, Wells 89 and 85 pitches his first 2 turns were about as many as he maxed out at last year.    81 pitches July 22nd was the last time he cleared the 80 pitch bar in 2022 as he wore down.

I've said at times they shouldn't shy away from leaning into Grayson early with Means return and the trade deadline - ibid Tyler Wells while he's running good.

Edited by Just Regular

I always tought he would be a lock for the rotation in the offseason due to how well he did in 2022, let's not forget he was relief pitcher in 2021.

Everytime time I see him on the mound I feel confident that we'll have a chance to win the game

• Upvote 2