Debating if MLB.tv package is worth it. Does it have old Oriole archive games? How many? Does it work on your Tv or just computers?

Gurgi

28 minutes ago, Gatoriole said:

Bumping this thread. 

I tried this last year and it worked. I'm now getting emails from MLBPAA that they are offering the same deal again. I recommend it.

You make a $25 payment to MLBPAA and they give you a 50% discount code for MLBTV. MLBTV normally costs $150, so you save $75 (or $50 if you include the payment to MLBPAA). To get the Orioles-only plan from MLBTV, it is $130 for the year; so you are still saving money and you get all MLB and minor league games (excluding any games that are blacked out where you live).  

I was curious about this, as I was unable to see many games as part of the MLB.tv package last year.  If I could watch every game, I'd do it.  Maybe I missed something?

Edited by Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I was curious about this, as I was unable to see many games as part of the MLB.tv package last year.  If I could watch every game, I'd do it.  Maybe I missed something?

When you say you were unable to see many games, what do you mean? Are you in the O's market? If you are then they'll get blacked out on MLB.tv.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Are you in the Orioles market (i.e. MASN is available where you live)?

You essentially get all MLB games except any that may be blacked out where you live. For example, I live in Florida, so all Marlins and Rays games are blacked out for me. But I can watch essentially all Orioles games (except if they play the Marlins, Rays, or have an exclusive national game on Apple TV). 

If you live in the Orioles market, MLBTV will not get you any Orioles/Nats games, but MLBTV should get you all other MLB games. So MLBTV is primarily for out of market fans.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

When you say you were unable to see many games, what do you mean? Are you in the O's market? If you are then they'll get blacked out on MLB.tv.

1 minute ago, Gatoriole said:

Are you in the Orioles market (i.e. MASN is available where you live)?

You essentially get all MLB games except any that may be blacked out where you live. For example, I live in Florida, so all Marlins and Rays games are blacked out for me. But I can watch essentially all Orioles games (except if they play the Marlins, Rays, or have an exclusive national game on Apple TV). 

If you live in the Orioles market, MLBTV will not get you any Orioles/Nats games, but MLBTV should get you all other MLB games. So MLBTV is primarily for out of market fans.

Yes.  I lived in Frederick the past three years until moving back to Harford County in August.  Again, must have misunderstood.  My brother suggested I use a VPN.  Might be a good idea.  

25 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yes.  I lived in Frederick the past three years until moving back to Harford County in August.  Again, must have misunderstood.  My brother suggested I use a VPN.  Might be a good idea.  

If you use a VPN, you can set it up as if you are out of market. I don't use a VPN, so I can't offer much advice about that. But my understanding is if you set up the VPN in a certain way, then you could avail yourself of all MLB games. If you tried and it didn't work, it might have been an issue with the VPN rather than MLBTV.

• Upvote 1

Just kicking in to say that if you are into baseball, this package is well worth it, even at full price.  I can't get O's game through there but I watch a ton of other games when the O's aren't playing, plus the minor league games are awesome to have given the depth of our farm system.  If nothing else, it makes O's off days (or nights when they've already played a day game) much more bearable.  There is baseball on every night on my deck all summer, even when the O's aren't playing.

Not to mention as the season starts to wind down and the division/WC races heat up, being able to keep an eye on our closest competition for the playoffs. 

I got it last year for the first time and will have it for the foreseeable future.  Its pretty great.  And they have an app for the Firestick, and I assume for many other streaming type options (smart TV, Roku, etc). 

10/10 recommend.

5 hours ago, Gatoriole said:

Bumping this thread. 

I tried this last year and it worked. I'm now getting emails from MLBPAA that they are offering the same deal again. I recommend it.

You make a $25 payment to MLBPAA and they give you a 50% discount code for MLBTV. MLBTV normally costs $150, so you save $75 (or $50 if you include the payment to MLBPAA). To get the Orioles-only plan from MLBTV, it is $130 for the year; so you are still saving money and you get all MLB and minor league games (excluding any games that are blacked out where you live).  

Do you have a link for that offer from MLBPAA? I didn't see it on the page on first look-see. I'd love to go that route than the full price! I've used a VPN the last four years to mostly good results. 

If you live “in Market” is the VPN the only alternative?  

The DirectTV package in my area that has MASN is about 90/month. 

I assume a Firestick would not solve the market issue?

Have never done a VPN but am certainly considering it. 

Edited by foxfield

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I have done it with mixed results (live in NC which is somehow in the market, screw you MLB). It seems like they have ways of sniffing out the VPN.  Last year it worked well for the first couple months but later in the season many times I could not get it to work, didn't matter which server I picked, settings, etc. That said, you can do it on the Firestick, you just need to make sure the VPN you pick has an app that can be used on Firestick (I used Private Internet Access VPN, maybe a different one would work better).

Personally I am going to just pay for DirecTV Stream during the season, I'm done messing with VPNs.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I had DirecTV for several years, mainly for MASN, until I realized I was not really watching anything but four channels but mainly MASN for what added up to almost $1000 a year. So I figured out the VPNs. I haven't looked back and it's saved me about $850 a year. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I had DirecTV for several years, mainly for MASN, until I realized I was not really watching anything but four channels but mainly MASN for what added up to almost $1000 a year. So I figured out the VPNs. I haven't looked back and it's saved me about $850 a year. 

I’ve got Nord VPN. What are you using?

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Yeah, this is what I was hoping to avoid.  But seems like the VPNs require some work. It is my likely path this year.  Thanks

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

Do you have a link for that offer from MLBPAA? I didn't see it on the page on first look-see. I'd love to go that route than the full price! I've used a VPN the last four years to mostly good results. 

Let me know if this link doesn't work: https://www.mlb.com/mlbpaa/membership/fans

You just need to sign up for the $25 option.

• Thanks 3