2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Castillo this year versus LHH:  0.229/0.285/0.454

Castillo this year versus RHH:  0.198/0.247/0.333

He's a good pitcher any way you slice it, but stacking lefties in the lineup gives us the best chance to score some runs.  He's given up 15 HR to LHH this year, so if we get to him it will probably be through the long ball.  

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Also Adley staying leadoff with Ced back is interesting 

I had a head scratching reaction when I saw that too. My guess is that they want to give Ced a little time to knock of the rust, and Adley has been raking in that spot. Adley has been doing everything they've asked and hoped of him in the leadoff spot.

20 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I had a head scratching reaction when I saw that too. My guess is that they want to give Ced a little time to knock of the rust, and Adley has been raking in that spot. Adley has been doing everything they've asked and hoped of him in the leadoff spot.

Ced’s speed is sort of neutralized while he’s recovering from the flat tire. I don’t want them to put any added pressure on him on the base paths. I want a healthy Cedric Mullins to play Cedric Mullins defense in CF first and foremost. Everything else comes after that.

Hitting him lower in the lineup (I would have stuck in 7th) should hopefully alleviate any feeling that he has to create something with his let’s. I hope that they let him get a couple of games into his return, again, before they cut him loose. Him going down again could signal the end of his season. 

Having Ced fifth is like having a second lead off man in the middle of the order. Starting off the 5-9 leg instead of the 1-4 leg. The lineup looks so much deeper when he’s a part of it. I think he’s more of a lynchpin to this lineup than a lot of people think he is. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

They moved Mullins down in the lineup when he struggled after returning from injury last time. So, it is not that surprising they would start him down there this time.

Having Ced fifth is like having a second lead off man in the middle of the order. Starting off the 5-9 leg instead of the 1-4 leg. The lineup looks so much deeper when he’s a part of it. I think he’s more of a lynchpin to this lineup than a lot of people think he is. 

I know it’s just happenstance but Ced has hit very well with RISP. 

Completely agree, I'm kind of surprised that a bigger deal wasn't made about our success while missing one our best players for 2 months of the season. Coming into this season I think a fair amount of people would have said Ced is one of our best overall players, and probably the most important player on the team, minus Adley. 

Ceds injuries combined with Mountcastle's struggles/vertigo really make this season that much more impressive

I’m not going to get up in arms over the daily lineup card but whenever Frazier or Mateo are written in there it’s safe to say that we are not fielding our best nine. Prefer not to have them both in there on the same night. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1

This game will be determined by how well we pitch.  Irvin has seen Seattle many times while pitching for Oakland and has an 8.42 career ERA against them.  Unless he pitches much better than that, and than Gibson pitched last night, it won’t matter who’s in our lineup.