2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

It may not make one lick of difference, but I really liked seeing Mateo and Mullins hitting back to back. All that speed right after the other. Mullins speed will not be slowed down by the runner on base ahead of him. You can double steal, if he thinks he can get a triple, then Mateo will definitely be home, Mullins can show bunt or even bunt with Mateo threatening to steal making those infielders have to move all over the place. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

It may not make one lick of difference, but I really liked seeing Mateo and Mullins hitting back to back. All that speed right after the other. Mullins speed will not be slowed down by the runner on base ahead of him. You can double steal, if he thinks he can get a triple, then Mateo will definitely be home, Mullins can show bunt or even bunt with Mateo threatening to steal making those infielders have to move all over the place. 

Love the post. I love Mullins and Mateo at the 8 and 9 spot. Turn the lineup over and wreak havoc on the bases.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That said, the mathematical difference between one lineup order and another in terms of expected runs is very small and won’t impact many games.  And, the manager is aware of many factors that fans are not.

I generally agree with this and believe that a big part of the manager's job is to handle players' egos and keep them motivated and focused. But batting McCann cleanup is definitely a headscratcher, the first big one of the year for me.

1 hour ago, backdoorslider said:

I agree. Having been in battle with men I understand that you cannot reduce everything into some mathematical formula. There are intangibles that cannot be measured. Everybody has a plan until you get punched in the face or an IED goes off to give an analogy. And I know the latter all too well. I like the current construction of the lineup with Hays, Adley and Mounty at the top.

Baseball is far from wartime struggles and situations.  Most everything in baseball really can be broken down into numbers.  Hence much of the conversations around here about veteran presences, team chemistry, the Easter bunny, fairy dust and other mythical subjects.  🙂

That said lineup construction does matter as noted by others,  primarily to get your best hitters more at bats.  It doesn't matter much game by game,  but over the course of a season it does add up.  You want your best hitters to get more opportunities.  Beyond that it really doesn't matter. 

Just now, forphase1 said:

Baseball is far from wartime struggles and situations.  Most everything in baseball really can be broken down into numbers.  Hence much of the conversations around here about veteran presences, team chemistry, the Easter bunny, fairy dust and other mythical subjects.  🙂

That said lineup construction does matter as noted by others,  primarily to get your best hitters more at bats.  It doesn't matter much game by game,  but over the course of a season it does add up.  You want your best hitters to get more opportunities.  Beyond that it really doesn't matter. 

NSFW

I was just looking at the stats, and with the way Mateo is hitting this season, I think it's time to give him an opportunity in the leadoff spot against a LHP.  His average and on base percentage is very very good right now. And as long as he's hot, give him the opportunity. If he gets on base, he will manufacture a run.  How about putting Ced in leadoff for RHP, and Mateo in leadoff for LHP? I'd like to see Hyder give it a trial run once or twice like we did with Hays. Then we will have more data/information to be able to make lineup decisions moving forward in the season against tougher opponents.

18 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was just looking at the stats, and with the way Mateo is hitting this season, I think it's time to give him an opportunity in the leadoff spot against a LHP.  His average and on base percentage is very very good right now. And as long as he's hot, give him the opportunity. If he gets on base, he will manufacture a run.  How about putting Ced in leadoff for RHP, and Mateo in leadoff for LHP? I'd like to see Hyder give it a trial run once or twice like we did with Hays. Then we will have more data/information to be able to make lineup decisions moving forward in the season against tougher opponents.

I would like to see them start defining roles a little better as far as a daily lineup. There will always be variations but there should be a pretty reliable day to day lineup.

Scratch the 3rd catcher and bring someone up that can play a position or DH.

It's still way early, but it's not hard to get buried especially in a division where 3 teams are going to win 90+ games.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hence me saying little impact.

Obviously as a general guideline you want your more productive hitters getting more at bats than your less productive hitters. 

But if you want to Maddon things up and bat 'em alphabetically it won't really hurt you.

You can't have it both ways.... LOL ..... If you obviously want your more productive hitters getting more at bats then lineup construction does matter.... SMH .... 

I copied and pasted this from the article in the link you provided as your research that lineup construction doesn't matter

Ultimately, though, all these thoughts are fairly futile. Almost every study done on it has shown that batting order makes almost no difference to a game's or a season's outcome, perhaps a game or two a year at most. The idea that the batting order is important, like the idea that there have to be set relief pitching roles, is truly fairly silly and does not need to be a major point of concern for teams, managers or fans

perhaps that game or two is the difference of making the playoffs  :)  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No Santander smh. Is he banged up or just struggling?  Typical Hyde last game of series/day game BS. /rant

I think Adley does some power work today. 

Santader is dealing with minor back issues according to last night's broadcast.