2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

I just saw Brandon Hyde's pregame interview on the MASN Pregame show, and a reporter asked him a question about why Hays has been leading off against LHP. On the screen, MASN showed a graphic of today's lineup with their averages against LHP. I would upload a screen shot, but I don't know if that's possible on this message board so I'll just go to the stats with a link.

But the MASN graphic (as well as MLB's statistics on the official website) shows that there are a number of players who's splits against left handed pitching, including Mullins and Mateo's, are better than Hays.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/stats/on-base-percentage?split=vl&playerPool=ALL

Anyone know why they might put the better guys lower in the lineup? Is this some strategy of trying to divide up the lineup? Or is it just purely a manager's gut feeling?

16 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I just saw Brandon Hyde's pregame interview on the MASN Pregame show, and a reporter asked him a question about why Hays has been leading off against LHP. On the screen, MASN showed a graphic of today's lineup with their averages against LHP. I would upload a screen shot, but I don't know if that's possible on this message board so I'll just go to the stats with a link.

But the MASN graphic (as well as MLB's statistics on the official website) shows that there are a number of players who's splits against left handed pitching, including Mullins and Mateo's, are better than Hays.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/stats/on-base-percentage?split=vl&playerPool=ALL

Anyone know why they might put the better guys lower in the lineup? Is this some strategy of trying to divide up the lineup? Or is it just purely a manager's gut feeling?

It probably has to do with trends against LHP that involve more than the one-month sample from 2023.

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Because an entire season of leading the team in home runs outweighs a slow start to this season. As it should. 

Major league managers simply cannot be as impatient as fans. It doesn’t work that way, never has, and never will. Nor should it. 

That’s a good point. But I’m not impatient. I’ve played at a high level, scouted and coached. So, evaluation has been something I’ve been doing for a while. 

Santander was a guy I thought would be a contributor early on, even as a Rule 5 guy. He was very athletic and I liked his swing. Defensively he was in the running for a GG, but he hasn’t looked the same to me. Injuries are another consideration with Santander. 

I think they should be looking for an exit strategy from him with the glut of OF talent they have. He’s arbitration eligible next year, so he’ll only become more expensive as he declines.

6 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

So Henderson starts against the LHP and rides pine against the RHP... heaven forbid O'Hearn and Frazier don't get their ABs!

I would prefer Henderson gets his days off against left-handed starters, but I also can't get too upset over giving O'Hearn some PAs here and there. We just have to accept that Frazier is going to get his every day PAs against righties. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I would prefer Henderson gets his days off against left-handed starters, but I also can't get too upset over giving O'Hearn some PAs here and there. We just have to accept that Frazier is going to get his every day PAs against righties. 

We're also giving Mountcastle a little day off too to DH.  I don't mind the lineup.  We have a lot of talent.  Greinke is a soft tosser, and Gunnar is struggling against breaking balls.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We're also giving Mountcastle a little day off too to DH.  I don't mind the lineup.  We have a lot of talent.  Greinke is a soft tosser, and Gunnar is struggling against breaking balls.  

That's a solid point as well. Hey, I'm just glad Stowers is in the lineup.

• Upvote 1