Three thoughts on the pitch clock

interloper

43 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Only if it happens to the Yankees or Red Sox. 

Could you imagine the complete chaos that would ensue if Aaron Judge gets called out on strikes to end the World Series because he couldn't get ready for a pitch in time? Or Devers? I'd pop pocorn and read the meltdown on SoSH with glee. 

(of course, I'd hate it if it were an Oriole)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, deward said:

30 years ago was 1993, the average length of a game was 2:52. You have to go back to the late 70s to find average game lengths of 2:30 or less (which doesn't invalidate your overall point).

I don’t like to admit that the late 70’s weren’t 30 years ago.  This is a thing that happens when you get older.   You always underestimate how long ago things happened.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t like to admit that the late 70’s weren’t 30 years ago.  This is a thing that happens when you get older.   You always underestimate how long ago things happened.  

Lol - early stage dementia.  Wait until you can’t remember anything that happened 30 years ago!  😊

I'm not against the pitch clock, but I do think it is a bit too short.  Add perhaps 4-5 seconds to it.  With that said, there is no going back if the current clock stays where it is.  People will get used to this pace of play and in the future they decide to lengthen or eliminate the clock, the game will seem slower than it ever was. 

Kind of like if you take a Corvette for a test drive and then drive a Prius.

I read an article today from some San Diego paper, and Soto and Machado made some good points. Both were in favor of the clock and games moving along quicker. Soto's angle was the clock was too short to come up with a plan at the plate in a tense situation on something like a 3-1 count. Manny was more perturbed at the 30 second, next batter to the plate clock; teammate hits a double, you want to watch the play, see him run, cheer him on, game plan and get set. Not enough time to do all of that in 30 seconds. I can see a +5/pitch and a +10 or 15/next batter change at some point. 

That 1/2 inning vs single pitch video from last week was insane tho. Happy about the quicker pace. But can def see arguments about it being a bit too aggressive.

They also made a good point about the WBC having no clock, so, the guys participating will be out of practice when they return. They will try to prepare quicker and pretend there is a clock in play so it's hopefully not a complete readjustment with a few days left when they get back.

• Thanks 2

I’m sure it could and probably will be tweaked a little bit, but I’m definitely for it. There’s no reason for all the nonsense that went in between every single pitch. There are some issues that need to be addressed like some of the clips where the pitcher isn’t even on the mound and the batter is still being called out because he’s not facing the pitcher at 8 seconds or whatever it is. 

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Lol - early stage dementia.  Wait until you can’t remember anything that happened 30 years ago!  😊

Well in 2028-2041, I’ll be glad to have forgotten what was going on with the Orioles 30 years before!

• Haha 1

I am 41 years old and I enjoy a nice 3.5-4 hour game. I cheer for extra innings that take it until 3am and they are running out of pitchers and the bullpen is spent for the next game or series. I enjoy a 4 hour round of golf or even playing another 9 if I can get away with it. I don’t boo if the pitcher throws over 3 times and wondering if he will throw a fourth time or if the runner will just take off. I will watch the Masters in its entirety. I will sit at an all you can eat crab place two hours after the rest of my family is done with dessert. Things in life don’t need to be fast and right now. I also don’t make love to my wife like I’m in a bull riding competition either. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Will be nice to catch more of the west coast games.

This is actually a great point.  Plenty of times I either went to bed because I had to be up in the morning of West Coast games or was exhausted the next morning.  An extra hour could make a lot of difference.