Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sometimes you have to wonder, are there any other contending teams that would still have Westburg in the minor leagues while starting guys like Vavra, Frazier, Mckenna, Hicks and McCann (as DH)?

Westburg has played the equivalent of a full season while putting up a .900 OPS at Norfolk. Unless Elias is planning to trade Westburg what else does he need to do in the minor leagues to earn his promotion to MLB. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Westburg has played the equivalent of a full season while putting up a .900 OPS at Norfolk. Unless Elias is planning to trade Westburg what else does he need to do in the minor leagues to earn his promotion to MLB. 

Come on now, we don’t want to rush him.

Im still amazed that we have this great system, one that is consistently touted by the Orioles org and yet we don’t use it to its full advantage.

I really don’t understand it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Come on now, we don’t want to rush him.

Im still amazed that we have this great system, one that is consistently touted by the Orioles org and yet we don’t use it to its full advantage.

I really don’t understand it.

Perhaps the full advantage is to trade these players and finally have a decent pitcher, especially one who can get through an inning without throwing at least 20 pitches.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Come on now, we don’t want to rush him. I'm still amazed that we have this great system, one that is consistently touted by the Orioles org and yet we don’t use it to its full advantage. I really don’t understand it.

So O'Hearn as PH and backup 1B vs Diaz who is good defensively, Frazier, Vavra, and O'Hearn as COF vs Cameron, even before the Hicks signing, not using the Norfolk shuttle to keep the BP fresh (Akin, Baker, Baumann, Irvin, Zimm, other 1-inning guys) with Capt. Hook's usage pattern. Kjerstad banging on Norfolk 1B-DH door is blocked, Westburg banging on MLB door is blocked. Why did we collect all these players if we won't use them when a need arises (Mullins, fried BP)?

What they do when Ortiz is back from injury will signal their intentions with Westburg.  If Westburg goes back to playing a lot of 3B, corner OF, etc, then perhaps Elias does intend to use him as a super utility player on the ML roster.  If Westburg continues to play mostly SS (like he has the past 2-3 weeks), then Elias is absolutely showcasing him as trade bait.

My prediction is that Ortiz plays a few games in Norfolk before being called back up and Westburg continues to play SS until close to the trade deadline.  I hate that scenario, but I think that is what happens.

Edited by yark14

I think the O's are looking to trade Frazier prior to the deadline and promote Westburg to 2B.   6 years of service time with the first 3 at the minimum salary sounds like the O's to me.

Ortiz maybe as good at SS as Mateo and Ortiz will probably hit better.  Mateo is arbitration eligible for the 2nd time.   Ortiz has 6 years of service time the first three at the minimum.   He should be with the O's at least until Holliday arrives.

Henderson and  GGer  Urias are the other two  infielders.

I think the O's trade the two arbitration eligible players in Frazier and Mateo and keep the two guys who play SS and 2B just as well.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's are looking to trade Frazier prior to the deadline and promote Westburg to 2B.   6 years of service time with the first 3 at the minimum salary sounds like the O's to me.

Ortiz maybe as good at SS as Mateo and Ortiz will probably hit better.  Mateo is arbitration eligible for the 2nd time.   Ortiz has 6 years of service time the first three at the minimum.   He should be with the O's at least until Holliday arrives.

Henderson and  GGer  Urias are the other two  infielders.

I think the O's trade the two arbitration eligible players in Frazier and Mateo and keep the two guys who play SS and 2B just as well.

I will be surprised to see Frazier traded unless someone makes a surprisingly good offer for him.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will be surprised to see Frazier traded unless someone makes a surprisingly good offer for him.   

Be ready to be surprised.

Elias is probably not going to let him walk for nothing if he can get a decent prospect for him.  Not when Westburg is ready to take over  2B.  

Remember Elias traded two months of  Mancini for  Seth Johnson and McDermott.  The cheaper Frazier gets each month the more tradable he is.

Westburg does not play like a rookie.   He plays like a 24 year veteran and he is making a point that he is ready in Norfolk.