Has the organization ever been more athletic?

Sports Guy

@Tony-OH what are your thoughts on how athletic this organization is right now.

In other thread we are talking about how well Kjerstad looked running today and turning a double into a triple and it got me thinking about the athleticism this organization seems to have right now.

The system is full of guys that can play defense at a high level, move well whether it’s guys that play traditional “slow positions” or faster ones.

Guys are versatile without sacrificing talent.

And these aren’t athletes that are raw baseball players either. 

Maybe this is recentism but it just seems like the athleticism is unlike we have seen before. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that every organization is more athletic than it has ever been before.

As a general rule of course.

That's the way sports work.

It isn't a fair comparison.

There is truth to this but they aren’t more athletic now than 5-10 years ago.

If you are doing a comp 20+ years ago, I agree with you.

16 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

In other thread we are talking about how well Kjerstad looked running today and turning a double into a triple and it got me thinking about the athleticism this organization seems to have right now.

The system is full of guys that can play defense at a high level, move well whether it’s guys that play traditional “slow positions” or faster ones.

Maybe this is recentism but it just seems like the athleticism is unlike we have seen before. 

The organization's scouting since Elias took over certainly has focused on bringing in young men with quality tools, but also with good baseball acumen. They don't seem to get too blinded by raw power if it doesn't come with some kind of decent hit tool to work from as well. It's also clear the develop staff is doing a good job of maximizing the player's talents. 

When I can do a top 75 prospect list and still find interesting guys of varying degrees at the end of the list, it goes to show that the organization has a lot of talent, and part that is certainly bringing in guys who are athletics baseball players, not just raw athletes with limited baseball success. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is truth to this but they aren’t more athletic now than 5-10 years ago.

If you are doing a comp 20+ years ago, I agree with you.

I'd say even 10 years ago.  The specialized training that is being done today better maximizes the raw ability of athletes.

Now is the gap even wider 20 years ago?  Sure, but it hasn't stopped.

Fifteen years ago places like Driveline were literally being run out of garages.

The knowledge and technology keeps improving and each year the average level of athleticism is going to reflect that.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:59 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say even 10 years ago.  The specialized training that is being done today better maximizes the raw ability of athletes.

Now is the gap even wider 20 years ago?  Sure, but it hasn't stopped.

Fifteen years ago places like Driveline were literally being run out of garages.

The knowledge and technology keeps improving and each year the average level of athleticism is going to reflect that.

Orgs are more athletic this year than they were last year.  They will be more athletic next year than they were this year.  Evolution is a thing.   It's a slow process, but it's a very real thing.  Every organization is spending an insane amount of money to ensure that next year's crop of players is better than this years.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:58 PM, Sports Guy said:

I dont think the O's ever had a minor league system like this, you'd probably have to go back to the 60's to find anything to compare it. Different era to say the least.

What the O's have now is not really even seen across baseball, much less in the O's poor past minor league history. Its going to be copyed by everyone soon I'd imagine. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

I dont think the O's ever had a minor league system like this, you'd probably have to go back to the 60's to find anything to compare it. Different era to say the least.

What the O's have now is not really even seen across baseball, much less in the O's poor past minor league history. Its going to be copyed by everyone soon I'd imagine. 

The New "Oriole Way", we just need to come up with a NEW descriptor.