Thoughts from spring training games I attended

Frobby

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thought I’d post any observations from the ST games I attend here.  I went yesterday and am going again tonight and on Sunday.   I don’t nave anything brilliant to say about yesterday’s game, but here’s a few tidbits:

3/9 O’s at Phillies in Clearwater

First of all, BayCare Park is very nice.  They have a hilly slope beyond the OF fence where folks can sit on beach towels or blankets and enjoy the game if they are so inclined, and a large Tiki bar with seating in the LF area.  I was seated in regular seats up the LF line, which were nicely angled towards home plate.   Phillies fans were not at all obnoxious in this setting.  There were some O’s fans there, but not a ton.  One bit of advice if you ever drive there to see a game: the highway exit for the stadium, less than a mile from the stadium door, backs up badly.  We were at the exit 25 minutes before game time and barely made it inside the stadium in time for first pitch, which had me biting my nails knowing that Gunnar and Adley were batting 1-2.   

Here’s a few player notes: 

- Gunnar looks a little out of sync in the batters box right now.   He made an outstanding defensive play at SS, diving to snag the ball and throwing a rocket to 1B to get the runner.  I honestly didn’t know if he could get the ball there on time, but his laser throw was a good half-step ahead of the runner.

- Conversely, Prieto looks to have a noodle arm.  He took one routine grounder near the 3B bag and had to one-hop the throw, and another where he charged a slow roller with his momentum headed directly at 1B but he threw a floater that barely beat the runner.   Both plays were outs but displayed lack of arm strength.  

- Diaz made a tremendous catch in the LCF alley, running down a blast near the wall and catching it at nearly full speed.  Looked like his dad on that play.  

- Westburg had a nice day at the plate, with a double laced into the gap that the CF misplayed a bit, a sac fly and an infield single on which he showed good speed getting down the line.  I don’t think he had any defensive chances.  

- As several people mentioned elsewhere, Kjerstad ripped a ball into the RCF gap and stretched it into a triple, showing pretty decent speed on the play.  He’s got powerful legs, too.

- None of the pitchers impressed me all that much.   Wells was okay but threw a lot of pitches and got tired in the third.  Zimmerman allowed two very long homers and a long double.  

- Adley bounced two throws to 2B that went into the OF, but both were backed up so the runners couldn’t advance.  

Thanks for the feedback!!!  Gunnar’s defense at SS seems to be up for debate. I’m bullish on it. Prieto appears to be a spare part for us considering the glut of IF we have, and their flexibility. Prieto and Vavra could be secondary pieces in a trade if need be. 

57 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the feedback!!!  Gunnar’s defense at SS seems to be up for debate. I’m bullish on it. Prieto appears to be a spare part for us considering the glut of IF we have, and their flexibility. Prieto and Vavra could be secondary pieces in a trade if need be. 

Let Prieto put up a big offensive year, which I think could happen, and boost his value.  He put on some muscle and is swinging the bat well.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't think there is any debate that Gunnar can handle SS right now. The debate is if he'll be able to stay at SS long term and if not, does it makes sense to settle him at 3B with Mateo bringing GG level defense at SS. 

The problems starts with Mateo's bat though.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, it’s easier to judge a pitcher on TV than from seats down the LF foul line.  I guess I was just disappointed that he seemed to run out of gas in the 3rd inning.  He was good in the 1st & 2nd other than the leadoff homer.  

Have you ever been to Hammond Stadium in Ft Myers? I have a relative who has been to a couple of games this spring and likes it better than Ed Smith.  

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think there is any debate that Gunnar can handle SS right now. The debate is if he'll be able to stay at SS long term and if not, does it makes sense to settle him at 3B with Mateo bringing GG level defense at SS. 

The problems starts with Mateo's bat though.

Originally I was of the attitude of just sticking Gunnar at 3B from day 1, but the more I think about it the roster may be best utilized with Henderson at SS and Mateo off the bench as defense and pinch running. Urias at 3B with Westburg splitting time at 2B with Frazier. This all gets further complicated when and if Ortiz is ready, because if Ortiz and Henderson are in the same lineup I don't see the sense in playing Gunnar at SS over Ortiz. Which brings us back to your point of how long will Gunnar stay at SS, and should he just get settled in at 3B. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

Originally I was of the attitude of just sticking Gunnar at 3B from day 1, but the more I think about it the roster may be best utilized with Henderson at SS and Mateo off the bench as defense and pinch running. Urias at 3B with Westburg splitting time at 2B with Frazier. This all gets further complicated when and if Ortiz is ready, because if Ortiz and Henderson are in the same lineup I don't see the sense in playing Gunnar at SS over Ortiz. Which brings us back to your point of how long will Gunnar stay at SS, and should he just get settled in at 3B. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

If you go in the direction of Henderson being the starting SS, Mateo's only real job is a pinch runner, since you're not going to use him as a pinch hitter and while we all love his defense, are you going to pull Henderson out of the game for Mateo when you potentially need Henderson to bat again? Mateo as a bench player is too limited in his benefits to afford on a team like the Orioles. Mateo's value is on the dirt, if he's not playing SS regularly, he's not very useful otherwise. 

I was at the game 3/1 against the Blue Jays. There was very little in the way of in game action (the Orioles didn't record their first hit of the game until the 9th inning). Jacksn did not look good on the only ball hit his way at SS. It was an easy double play ball that he was unable get out of his glove to make the flip to second, then double clutched and threw the ball high to first for the error, all runners safe. I remember thinking I never saw Manny do that the entire time he was here. Small sample size, but just thought I'd mention it since there was no radio or TV broadcast of that game. 

I realize it's still "early" in ST, but at what point should there be some concern about his performance to date. There has to be something wrong and perhaps it should be done at the camp rather than games. I also believe the game is hard enough that you give him a position to play and let him play it. Don't jerk him around at SS and 3B, pick one and let him get his work there. As Yogi said," The game is 90% mental, the other half is physical." Don't mess around with a kid that has so much talent, keep it simple.

5 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

I was at the game 3/1 against the Blue Jays. There was very little in the way of in game action (the Orioles didn't record their first hit of the game until the 9th inning). Jacksn did not look good on the only ball hit his way at SS. It was an easy double play ball that he was unable get out of his glove to make the flip to second, then double clutched and threw the ball high to first for the error, all runners safe. I remember thinking I never saw Manny do that the entire time he was here. Small sample size, but just thought I'd mention it since there was no radio or TV broadcast of that game. 

I heard that play on the radio, but it may have been the Blue Jays’ broadcast.  

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Today's the day Henderson starts hitting, mark it! I actually thought his ABs looked better his last game. I think he's close.

I saw his first 3 ABs today.  While he got a walk in the third trip, his first two were pretty sad, both ending in swinging Ks.