Austin Hays 2023

Frobby

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes the Cowser - LF, Mullins -CF, Hays - RF is the best defensive outfield the Orioles can put out there with starting caliber offensive players. Hicks seems to be able to fill in CF and RF, and probably LF and of course Santander can go back out to RF if needed. 

The bench would become much stronger as well, especially if Westburg were added as well to play 2B. 

My perfect alignment would be:

C - Rustchman
1B - O'Hearn-Mountcastle platoon
2B - Westburg
SS - Ortiz
3B -Henderson
LF - Cowser
CF - Mullins
RF: Hays
DH Santander

Bench:
Hicks
Frazier
Mateo
Backup catcher of your choice/McCann if he gets healthy 

Tony - this alignment looks great.  How realistic do you think it is that we could see something like this in 2023?

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Are you thinking you would prefer Frazier on the roster over Urias? Or do you think Urias is a better trade candidate due to Fraziers Contract? I don't disagree with your take here I think I agree except I think I would prefer Urias over Frazier on the bench. But that leaves us short a LH bat.

I'd like to give you a great answer but I honestly forgot about Urias. In my only defense, Urias has played forgettable most of the year in his part-time role. if both Westburg and Ortiz are on the roster, I do think Urias is the odd man out which could be a trade. I don't think Urias brings a ton back and he's good depth overall in case the rookies fail, so I think that's why we see Westburg still in AAA. 

Now the could DFA Mateo and keep Urias as the better bat on the bench as well as his quality 3B defense if Henderson has to go play SS. 

Saying all that, Elias likes to keep as many options as possible which probably means either Westburg or Ortiz on the roster this year.

2 minutes ago, kidrock said:

Tony - this alignment looks great.  How realistic do you think it is that we could see something like this in 2023?

Well, it just depends on the risk Elias is willing to take. To do this, Urias or Mateo will need to go so that means a trade or DFA and risk losing them. Urias would clearly need to be traded and due to hi speed and defense, you have to imagine Mateo won't make it through either. 

That means they probably won't do this and at best will run out either Ortiz or Westburg in the starting lineup.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes the Cowser - LF, Mullins -CF, Hays - RF is the best defensive outfield the Orioles can put out there with starting caliber offensive players. Hicks seems to be able to fill in CF and RF, and probably LF and of course Santander can go back out to RF if needed. 

The bench would become much stronger as well, especially if Westburg were added as well to play 2B. 

C - Rustchman
2B - Westburg
SS - Ortiz
3B -Henderson
LF - Cowser
CF - Mullins
DH Santander

Bench:
Hicks
Frazier
Mateo

You've got 14 players due to carrying O'Hearn and Mountcastle for one position. And what happens to Urias? 

I want to see Westburg and Cowser, but I'm not quite ready to give up on Mountcastle and Mateo (or Urias, for that matter), and now that I've seen Frazier and Hicks I kind of like them. Honestly this is incredibly tough. 

I would like to see this lineup as well, but I also understand that the upgrade from Westburg/Cowser is not guaranteed and/or could take a while to show up and/or could end up being pretty marginal. Urias and Mateo are out of options, plus we don't have a ton of room left on the 40-man, so is it worth potentially losing someone to get these guys up?

I think Elias would like to keep control of all these guys until his hand is absolutely forced, either by injury/underperformance on the MLB roster, or by a prospect forcing their way up. Optioning rather than platooning Mountcastle could help.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd like to give you a great answer but I honestly forgot about Urias. In my only defense, Urias has played forgettable most of the year in his part-time role. if both Westburg and Ortiz are on the roster, I do think Urias is the odd man out which could be a trade. I don't think Urias brings a ton back and he's good depth overall in case the rookies fail, so I think that's why we see Westburg still in AAA. 

Now the could DFA Mateo and keep Urias as the better bat on the bench as well as his quality 3B defense if Henderson has to go play SS. 

Saying all that, Elias likes to keep as many options as possible which probably means either Westburg or Ortiz on the roster this year.

I get what you are saying and at the end of the day I think it does prove that Elias has some pretty serious merit to not have brought up Westburg at this point.  Not because he isn't MLB ready but because he is legitimately blocked, at least for now.

I think Mateo fits the mold to be an incredible option coming off the bench so I would hate to see them DFA him.

28 minutes ago, Hallas said:

If Santander can play 1B or DH then my preference is to keep him.  I'd rather sell low on Mountcastle and package him with a prospect for a useful pitcher.

I will blow a gasket if we do a mid-season trade of Hays in the middle of a playoff run.

Well, it depends on what you get for him and perhaps, what he allows you to keep.

That said, I would probably rather deal Santander as well.

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Elias would like to keep control of all these guys until his hand is absolutely forced, either by injury/underperformance on the MLB roster, or by a prospect forcing their way up. Optioning rather than platooning Mountcastle could help.

If putting up a 1.000+ OPS at Norfolk isn't enough, then I have no idea how anyone is going to force their way up.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did you hear what Palmer said tonight about Hays defense?

He said Hays basically told him that he gets late jumps on purpose, to judge the ball better and uses his speed to make up for it.

That explains why he gets awful jumps.

I did hear that though I’ve never noticed that from him but it’s kinda hard to tell on TV. As good as I think he is as an outfielder and respect his play in left, his arm and overall defensive skills are best suited for right field. I have not personally seen Cowser but if his defense is adequate for center at the big league level, I’d like to think that it would translate to the big left field that is OPACY nowadays. 

Hicks has been REALLY good since coming to the O’s but I really hope that with Ced’s return, that they don’t delay bringing up Cowser if in fact he is ready to be promoted. An outfield of Ced, Cowser and Hays looks really good on paper as they all can go get ‘em out there. 

Haysie with another big night at the dish. He’s hitting .327 now. If he manages to maintain the average somewhere in this .315 - .325 range, to lead the league, it would be tragic to leave him off of the AS team. 

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He said Hays basically told him that he gets late jumps on purpose, to judge the ball better and uses his speed to make up for it.

Yeah, I heard that and thought, "Jim, I don't think this anecdote is as complimentary as you're making it out to be."

6 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I did hear that though I’ve never noticed that from him but it’s kinda hard to tell on TV. As good as I think he is as an outfielder and respect his play in left, his arm and overall defensive skills are best suited for right field. I have not personally seen Cowser but if his defense is adequate for center at the big league level, I’d like to think that it would translate to the big left field that is OPACY nowadays. 

Hicks has been REALLY good since coming to the O’s but I really hope that with Ced’s return, that they don’t delay bringing up Cowser if in fact he is ready to be promoted. An outfield of Ced, Cowser and Hays looks really good on paper as they all can go get ‘em out there. 

Haysie with another big night at the dish. He’s hitting .327 now. If he manages to maintain the average somewhere in this .315 - .325 range, to lead the league, it would be tragic to leave him off of the AS team. 

I would love to see Cowser up and playing everyday. The problem is that Hicks is playing too well currently to be displaced. The chances that Cowser comes up and gives us what Hicks has are minimal at best.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

C - Rustchman
2B - Westburg
SS - Ortiz
3B -Henderson
LF - Cowser
CF - Mullins
DH Santander

Bench:
Hicks
Frazier
Mateo

Hicks has to keep playing as long as he keeps hitting.  Same with O’Hearn.  Didn’t want Mullins or Mountcastle to get hurt, but Hicks and O’Hearn have been better than both of them in their absence.  Mounty should lose his job against righties.  hicks should play right.  Santander then DHs.  I also would play Gunnar at short and Urias at third.  Let Mateo sit a bit.   Love the guys at Norfolk but they aren’t better than what we have except at SS.  

16 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Hicks has to keep playing as long as he keeps hitting.  Same with O’Hearn.  Didn’t want Mullins or Mountcastle to get hurt, but Hicks and O’Hearn have been better than both of them in their absence.  Mounty should lose his job against righties.  hicks should play right.  Santander then DHs.  I also would play Gunnar at short and Urias at third.  Let Mateo sit a bit.   Love the guys at Norfolk but they aren’t better than what we have except at SS.  

I would argue that Westburg can outplay Frazier. I expect Hicks and O'Hearn to both cool off at some point, which will hopefully be the time to get at least one more guy up from Norfolk.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, that was interesting.  Palmer also said that Hays was a candidate for a Gold Glove.  That seems highly unlikely. However, UZR, Rtot and Rdrs all have him solidly in the plus column, which is impressive when you consider the hole he dug himself in the first two weeks or so.   OAA, which doesn’t take throwing into account, still has him at -2, but that’s up from an early -5.