Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

He and Rutschman are both Top 10 among ~170 MLB Bats at BB/K.    

The 2016 Astros 1452 K were near league worst, and the champion 2017 Astros 1087 K were AL best.    Bringing in Frazier for Odor is the same as hiring Nori Aoki.    The 2016-2017 Astros bumped from ~85 to ~100 wins, and we'll see how the 2022-2023 Orioles end.    I don't think we've hit 14 over yet, but another chance today and from there you just need .500 to get to 88-74.     The redundancy for everything but an Adley injury is part of the design.

Its interesting the contrast between Frazier the concept for Angelos cheapness and/or Elias judgment, and Frazier the ballplayer.   He's ordinary.     Gibson and Givens are like that too, and we've talked a bunch about Elias'  risk averse choices to date, and if he'll be able to outgrow it when hotter competition requires it.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:21 PM, forphase1 said:

So did Odor.  Didn't justify or mean we should have played him every day. 

2nd best record in MLB playing him so far ..in our efforts to form the “perfect” squad we neglect that the best teams are made up of flawed parts and Frazier has been important to us so far as was Odor last year. 
Frazier is a much better player than Odor though. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He and Rutschman are both Top 10 among ~170 MLB Bats at BB/K.    

The 2016 Astros 1452 K were near league worst, and the champion 2017 Astros 1087 K were AL best.    Bringing in Frazier for Odor is the same as hiring Nori Aoki.    The 2016-2017 Astros bumped from ~85 to ~100 wins, and we'll see how the 2022-2023 Orioles end.    I don't think we've hit 14 over yet, but another chance today and from there you just need .500 to get to 88-74.     The redundancy for everything but an Adley injury is part of the design.

Its interesting the contrast between Frazier the concept for Angelos cheapness and/or Elias judgment, and Frazier the ballplayer.   He's ordinary.     Gibson and Givens are like that too, and we've talked a bunch about Elias'  risk averse choices to date, and if he'll be able to outgrow it when hotter competition requires it.

Frazier is basically a league average ballplayer, if not a VERY slightly above average MLB player. A team full over average players wins 81 games. There is a lot of value in an average player like Frazier. Throw in a couple of all star caliber players like Mullins, Adley, Cano and Bautista and you have a team in playoff contention.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Frazier is basically a league average ballplayer, if not a VERY slightly above average MLB player. A team full over average players wins 81 games. There is a lot of value in an average player like Frazier. Throw in a couple of all star caliber players like Mullins, Adley, Cano and Bautista and you have a team in playoff contention.

There’s more value in a better player and the 8M spent elsewhere.

Mateo, Urias, Ortiz, and Westburg are all right handed. There is value for this team in another LH infield bat. Ideally that would be vavra, but hard to argue that Frazier isn’t better than Vavra. Frazier has also had some of the teams best abs against elite pitchers. 

28 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

8 million is pretty cheap for a league average player. 

Not really. You can and should be able to replace him for less and that’s assuming he’s a league average guy. Over his last 1100-1200 at bats, he hasn’t been that good and at his age, a drop off can happen at any moment.

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Mateo, Urias, Ortiz, and Westburg are all right handed. There is value for this team in another LH infield bat. Ideally that would be vavra, but hard to argue that Frazier isn’t better than Vavra. Frazier has also had some of the teams best abs against elite pitchers. 

Why?  Why does it matter what side of the plate he hits from?

And btw, none of that is worth an 8M insurance policy.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why?  Why does it matter what side of the plate he hits from?

And btw, none of that is worth an 8M insurance policy.

I wish we would stop debating whether Frazier was a wise acquisition, and just focus on his play.   We might as well debate whether we should have drafted Ryan Mountcastle when we could have had Austin Riley, or whether Napoleon should have invaded Russia with winter coming on.   It’s done.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wish we would stop debating whether Frazier was a wise acquisition, and just focus on his play.   We might as well debate whether we should have drafted Ryan Mountcastle when we could have had Austin Riley, or whether Napoleon should have invaded Russia with winter coming on.   It’s done.  

Hell yea...

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This one was worth 106.9.   

Great minds think alike.  I checked on him but since he’s only listed as Nap, I assumed his full name wasn’t actually Napoleon.

Apparently it was!

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Great minds think alike.  I checked on him but since he’s only listed as Nap, I assumed his full name wasn’t actually Napoleon.

His Wiki entry is under Nap but the article refers to him as Napoleon (“Nap”) Lajoie.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nap_Lajoie.  Growing up, I always heard him referred to by the longer name.