Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll also say that I'd rather see Frazier up in a late and close situation, or 2 outs with RISP, whatever, you get the idea, than Mountcastle.  

Another diss of Mountcastle while praising Frazier.  This is getting to be a thing.  Poor @Can_of_corn!

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I hit golf balls on a driving range in Arnold , MD late one night when he was down there 

It's funny-I derive impressions of individuals on here by their posts and I have to confess I thought you were much younger (but very bright!!) prior to your post.  Please take that as a compliment-although I have probably watched140 games a year for the past 30 years I recall the earlier ones much better than the recent.  But then again they were much more noteworthy!!!  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SemperFi said:

It's funny-I derive impressions of individuals on here by their posts and I have to confess I thought you were much younger (but very bright!!) prior to your post.  Please take that as a compliment-although I have probably watched140 games a year for the past 30 years I recall the earlier ones much better than the recent.  But then again they were much more noteworthy!!!  

Thanks for the feedback and comments!! I saw my first World Series in 1966 with my Dad when I was 9 years old.  And have been to every World Series the Os have been in.. both my kids were born some years after our last appearance 40 years ago, so I pray for one more time in the Big One!! 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Otter said:

I do really enjoy watching Frazier's at-bats during this hot streak.  He always seems balanced, and adjusts very well to pitch type, speed, and location; with great bat control.  He's a good complement to other more aggressive hitters in our lineup, and right now I feel better with him up in situations where you need contact.  That being said, it's only 30% of the way through the season so let's not get carried away with the Frazier love just yet.  Let's see where he's at when he cools down; personally I still expect a sub .700 OPS season with mediocre defense.  And don't forget that 94% of MLB hitters hit the ball harder on average than Frazier...that suggests his numbers will come down also.

I get that chicks love the long ball and exit velocity is a big thing now, but you don't need it to be a really good "hitter."  A prime example, Luis Arraez (former Twin, now Marlin).  All the dude does is hit.  So, I wouldn't get so hung up on Frazier's exit velocity in defining him as a hitter.  He puts the bat on the ball consistently, which is more than you can say for several others that aren't as universally disliked on here.  Maybe it's just the $8M contract that makes people not like the guy.....it's not our money, so either Frazier takes it to the bank, or an Angelos does.  I'll take the former.

Here's a link to an article about Arraez and his lack of exit velocity.....it doesn't have to be a bad thing.  (and no, this doesn't make Frazier "elite", but he sure is functional with a bat in his hands).

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-luis-arraez-is-an-elite-hitter-without-elite-exit-velocity

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Thanks for the feedback and comments!! I saw my first World Series in 1966 with my Dad when I was 9 years old.  And have been to every World Series the Os have been in.. both my kids were born some years after our last appearance 40 years ago, so I pray for one more time in the Big One!! 

I'm jealous!! I am 62 so I don't remember '66 but I have stickers and other paraphernalia from it.  I remember getting up really early to listen to the 70 and 71 series on Okinawa.  I had tickets to game 6 in '83 but they won early, I'll likely pay whatever it takes takes next time.

I did make it to the 83 ALCS and then enjoyed watching one of my favorite brief Orioles (Tito) send them to the World Series.    

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

I'm jealous!! I am 62 so I don't remember '66 but I have stickers and other paraphernalia from it.  I remember getting up really early to listen to the 70 and 71 series on Okinawa.  I had tickets to game 6 in '83 but they won early, I'll likely pay whatever it takes takes next time.

I did make it to the 83 ALCS and then enjoyed watching one of my favorite brief Orioles (Tito) send them to the World Series.    

I was at Game 3 in 1966 -the Wally Bunker shutout with Paul Blair hitting solo hr as only run.  1-0 ..my Dad pointed out Hank Bauer before the game was up against the rail talking to Casey Stengel and Mickey Mantle. 

1969 -Game 1- only one we won against Mets.. I was in the RF bleachers with Dad about five rows back of where Don Buford hit a leadoff HR off Seaver

1970- Game 3- I remember the home runs.. Frank, Buford and of course the Dave McNally grand slam .. Lefty Grove threw out the first pitch and my Dad just went on and on about him .. oh and Brooks of course .. hit 2 doubles and caught that liner from Bench 

1971 .. Game 2 .. blew out the Pirates 11-3 .. Jim Palmer was great.. the program cost 1 dollar lol .. 

1979- Game 2-my only loss- stupid Don Stanhouse gave up a fluky hit ,a walk then a hit to Manny Sanguillen to lose 3-2.. it was pouring down the rain in the last inning .. i was under a poncho lol 

1983- went with my now ex brother in law.. I was in residency program at Hopkins.. Mike Boddicker was amazing just completely shutting down the Phillies. Complete game, 3 hits. 

I have been blessed beyond measure in many ways but certainly in this regard!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

A day late but I want to note that in game 2 against KC, Frazier's sprint toward left, pick-spin-jump-throw to first for the out was as good as (or better than) any play I've ever seen from a second baseman. 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know why according to Baseball Reference Adam Frazier has been worth 1.1 WAR (a 2.8 WAR pace over 162 games placing him into the category of a solid starter) but, according to Fangraphs he has been worth 0.3 WAR (a 0.7 WAR pace making him a scrub)? Fangraphs also has him rated as the worst qualifying second baseman in all of baseball.

I know that the two sites calculate WAR differently, but they usually are much closer in line to each other in my experience. Every other position player on the roster is within a couple of tenths of WAR between the two sites. Seems odd that Frazier has such a large discrepancy. 

2 minutes ago, Conway12 said:

Does anyone know why according to Baseball Reference Adam Frazier has been worth 1.1 WAR (a 2.8 WAR pace over 162 games placing him into the category of a solid starter) but, according to Fangraphs he has been worth 0.3 WAR (a 0.7 WAR pace making him a scrub)? Fangraphs also has him rated as the worst qualifying second baseman in all of baseball.

I know that the two sites calculate WAR differently, but they usually are much closer in line to each other in my experience. Every other position player on the roster is within a couple of tenths of WAR between the two sites. Seems odd that Frazier has such a large discrepancy. 

Has to be something in the defensive metrics, right? 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Has to be something in the defensive metrics, right? 

I thought that as well. But his DRS (which is what I always thought BRef used) is negative at 2B for the year and his UZR (which is what Fangraphs uses) is positive at 2B for the year. So I didn't think that was it.