Umpire Scorecard Thread

Can_of_corn

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Umpires these days are like, if you know my name, I’m probably terrible at calling balls and strikes. 

Some of the umps like Kaiser and Luciano from back in the day were actually known for "their strike zone."  Fat plate, thin plate, letters to mid shin, whatever it was, the pitchers and batters knew what to look for.  It was unfortunate that it wasn't more uniformed, but, generally they were true to "their" parameters.  And forget about it if you were to question a call or side-eye one of those guys.  A pitcher doing this would see the strike zone shrink and a batter would get an expanded zone.  Paybacks were hell.  Which is stupid in action and why we have all this tech in the game now.

I think nowadays umps don't want to be known.  They know the computers are on them and they have instant, objective feedback to what they are seeing - especially in calling balls and strikes.  Humans and human error will always be in the game.  I think the tech is a great check and balance to lack of skill in some areas and simple error in others.

I love the ump-trax, btw.  I find it very interesting and rarely see a case where error was so egregious that it likely changed the game.

I'm glad that O'Hearn and Hyde got thrown out last night.  That umpire was terrible.

As I've said before, the Orioles hitters collectively have above average strike zone judgment.  They are likely disadvantaged by inconsistent umpires, and perhaps also by umpires that are consistent but have idiosyncratic strike zones, although it may be that having good strike zone judgment would also help hitters adapt to idiosyncratic strike zones better.   

There's also the conspiracy-theory hypothesis that the umpiring community has never forgiven the Orioles for Roberto Alomar spitting on John Hirshbeck and so they are consistently biased against us.  

All the impactful calls went against us. His misses were pretty consistent at least, it was just every borderline call both ways went against us basically. One of the most lopsided performances I have seen this year.

Do they keep track of teams that have been most and least fortunate in terms of strike/ball calls? Feel like it’s been posted here before but the O’s seem to constantly be on the wrong side of these scorecards. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Do they keep track of teams that have been most and least fortunate in terms of strike/ball calls? Feel like it’s been posted here before but the O’s seem to constantly be on the wrong side of these scorecards. 

I believe we are rated 3rd to the bottom in "total favortism".  Meanwhile, Yankees are 2nd from the top in the "total favortism".  Percentage wise, it appears we are 5th from the bottom.  I'm not sure the difference or if I'm reading it 100% right. 

Umpire Scorecards | Teams (umpscorecards.com)

Edited by Mooreisbetter27

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I believe we are rated 3rd to the bottom in "total favortism".  Meanwhile, Yankees are 2nd most.  Percentage wise, it appears we are 5th from the bottom.  I'm not sure the difference or if I'm reading it 100% right. 

Umpire Scorecards | Teams (umpscorecards.com)

I'm assuming this means they "get" the 2nd most favorable ball/strike calls?   That's not surprising.   Heck, every time Soto takes a called strike he turns around and questions/stares at the umpire.

Edited by clapdiddy

17 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Looks like there’s some merit to this based on the post below yours. But no matter what, you can bet the games that go against the O’s are more likely to get their scorecard posted here. 😀

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm assuming this means they "get" the 2nd most favorable ball/strike calls?   That's not surprising.   Heck, every time Soto takes a called strike he turns around and questions/stares at the umpire.

Correct.  I wasn't sure how to word it.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Note the pitch that got O’Hearn and Hyde thrown out of the game.  Not the worst call of the day, but one of them. 

That was Hyder trusting that O'Hearn was seeing it correctly, but I know Hyder gets super steamed when we get clearly impacted by high or low pitches.   You can't always catch inside outside from the dugout, but up and down is visible and obvious.