Best thing the Orioles can do is trade Kyle Stowers

Tony-OH

After the way they used him last year and the fact he can't get a start in the first two games of the year against the Red Sox, it's probably best if they trade Kyle Stowers at some point. 

The young man absolutely bashed lefties in the minors but the Orioles obviously don't believe in those numbers. Yes, I know hard throning Sale is a tough matchup for any lefty, and yes after watching the Santander clown show in left field on Thursday and Stowers' struggles in left field in Fenway last year, it probably makes some sense to start McKenna, but at the end of the day, the Orioles just don't believe in the 25-year old left-handed outfielder.

I believe in his EVs and ability to make in game adjustments that end up with impact hits. Yes, there is going to be some swing and miss, but Stowers should be a starting everyday outfielder and it's clear, the Orioles don't feel that way about him.

They should have moved him this offseason though their own usage of him against lefties last year probably hurt his value. At the end of the day, whatever algorithm Sig has in his computer, it hates Stowers. The young man deserves better. If the Orioles won't play him, then they should send him somewhere where they value him as an everyday guy, not a guy who can' sniff a start two games into the season.  

This also highlights Elias' inability to move surplus talent in the offseason. Since they clearly like Hays and Santander more than Stowers, why are you going to use a guy that I would imagine most value as a starter as a bench guy?

Sure they're going to give us a bunch of BS about there will be playing time for everyone, blah blah blah, but why is Stowers not playing LF with McKenna playing center with Mullins on the bench against Sale? Stowers literally has a track record of hitting lefties unlike Mullins who had a nice first left on left year but struggled last year.

I feel bad for the young man because he deserve more. They played Aguilar over him now he can't sniff a start against lefty despite the fact that he has hit them and Mullins does not.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

After the way they used him last year and the fact he can't get a start in the first two games of the year against the Red Sox, it's probably best if they trade Kyle Stowers at some point. 

The young man absolutely bashed lefties in the minors but the Orioles obviously don't believe in those numbers. Yes, I know hard throning Sale is a tough matchup for any lefty, and yes after watching the Santander clown show in left field on Thursday and Stowers' struggles in left field in Fenway last year, it probably makes some sense to start McKenna, but at the end of the day, the Orioles just don't believe in the 25-year old left-handed outfielder.

I believe in his EVs and ability to make in game adjustments that end up with impact hits. Yes, there is going to be some swing and miss, but Stowers should be a starting everyday outfielder and it's clear, the Orioles don't feel that way about him.

They should have moved him this offseason though their own usage of him against lefties last year probably hurt his value. At the end of the day, whatever algorithm Sig has in his computer, it hates Stowers. The young man deserves better. If the Orioles won't play him, then they should send him somewhere where they value him as an everyday guy, not a guy who can' sniff a start two games into the season.  

This also highlights Elias' inability to move surplus talent in the offseason. Since they clearly like Hays and Santander more than Stowers, why are you going to use a guy that I would imagine most value as a starter as a bench guy?

Sure they're going to give us a bunch of BS about there will be playing time for everyone, blah blah blah, but why is Stowers not playing LF with McKenna playing center with Mullins on the bench against Sale? Stowers literally has a track record of hitting lefties unlike Mullins who had a nice first left on left year but struggled last year.

I feel bad for the young man because he deserve more. They played Aguilar over him now he can't sniff a start against lefty despite the fact that he has hit them and Mullins does not.

Stowers mashes lefties.  He should be starting most games.  I was hoping for at least 500 ABs.  It’s such a head-scratcher that he can’t get playing time.  

Edited by jdwilde1

I agree with you that they don't trust him for some reason. Same with Vavra. I want to give them some time this season before jumping to conclusions.

In my first season sim when OOTP24 dropped, I was simming a month at a time and on May 1st, I noticed Stowers had been sent down to AAA even after leading the team with 9 HR for the month of April. Not even the OOTP AI trusts Kyle Stowers!

• Haha 1

Chances are Hays and Santander are going to get dinged up at some point and Stowers should find his way into plenty of at bats.

But, I agree that it would be a waste of Stowers’ talent if he ends up getting one start per week. Again it’s early and I’m not going to get myself worked up over this yet.

(Here’s the reminder when we said the same things about Odor playing everyday at the start of last season. 😬)

• Upvote 1

The 8 million dollar man we were told would never come out of the lineup is on the bench today.

Getting worked up over every single lineup put out is not something I'm interested in doing.  I think we're going to need a couple of weeks- at least- to start to accurately see how they plan on using everybody.

• Upvote 1

Stowers is a butcher in the field  and the Os are not going to just hand him the job.  He must not have impressed in his reps during ST.  Looks like he will likely DH more than play in the field.  Good power bat to have off the bench.  Agree he needs to be traded.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It's frustrating as a fan to endure the years of tanking for draft picks and then have management not use the fruits of their labor. That could mean actually playing the young guys or trading them for more established players...Stowers is a mystery.

When a blooper inexplicably lands in front of him and when he charges in on a ball that flies over his head it’ll start to make sense.  And when he jogs slowly after a grounder, that goes under his glove all the way to the wall, it’ll be even more frustrating.  

Edited by emmett16

23 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Stowers is a butcher in the field  and the Os are not going to just hand him the job.  He must not have impressed in his reps during ST.  Looks like he will likely DH more than play in the field.  Good power bat to have off the bench.  Agree he needs to be traded.  

He looked bad in the field in a SSS last year in the majors, but he was solid in his longer career in the minors.  I saw him play a couple of times this spring and he looked okay.  He’s probably a better defensive option than Santander, though not as good as our other outfielders.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He looked bad in the field in a SSS last year in the majors, but he was solid in his longer career in the minors.  I saw him play a couple of times this spring and he looked okay.  He’s probably a better defensive option than Santander, though not as good as our other outfielders.  

I saw a lot of just strange things happen with him in LF in Norfolk.  Often seemed he just mentally checked out every once in a while.  A few times he never saw ball of the bat on routine fly balls and they just fell in (for hits in box score).  I’ve been curious to see how he handles LF in MLB with more chances/better hitters/more pressure.  I think the FO is nervous to throw him out there.  

• Thanks 1