DL Hall 2023

justD

Hall pitched decently out of the pen last September.   He’s probably an upgrade over Cionel if they switch places today.    I expect him to be an upgrade.  I hope that he can be a weapon.   If he can consistently throw that changeup for strikes that should work.   If he can back foot one of those breaking pitches consistently that would be gravy.   I hope we see him by next weekend.

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Many SL and CH are about the same speed (Sweepers excluded).  It's more about the direction of the spin (pronation/supination of the release).  

SL are traditionally a weapon against same handed hitters (so when Hall is facing a LHH).  Having a SL in the bag of tricks helps him attack LHH.  (Which is why it's important for RHP to have because the bulk of hitters are RH.)

CH are traditionally used against opposite handed hitters (so when Hall's facing a RHH).  If he's going to primarily face RHH, then FB-CH-CB will be his primary pitches.

CB (at least 12-6) is as much about speed and vertical plane messing with the eye.  

What he said ^^^^^^^

5 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

@Tony-OH thanks for the inside scoop. I have two questions:

1) I have noticed that his SL and his CH are essentially the same speed. Right at 87 mph. I know they are very different pitch shapes for him but do you think that has any thing to do with hitters being able to recognize them easier than expected? 

2) He's a lefty so everyone wants him to have the prototypic SL ala Randy Johnson. However, his curveball was a rather devastating pitch early in his career. Why doesn't he throw it more? Is it pitch shape? Seems like a pitch that might give him three pitches of different velocities if he stuck with FB-CH-Curve. What am I missing?

The speed can be the same on a slider and changeup due to the different pitch shape. If he can tunnel them, then they can be devastating together if he can keep them in the shadow zone around the strikezone.

I like the curve from DL, but it does seem like the pitch he gives up hard contact on when he misses in the zone. My guess is they've tried to use it as more of a "get me over" pitch and limited the use to try and surprise hitters since they can't be looking for it.

The slider can be a dominant pitch at times though and deadly against lefties when it's on.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2023 at 12:06 PM, Can_of_corn said:

And?

I'm just saying they shouldn't get a ton of credit for eventually putting him on the program that helped him recover his velocity.

It's good that they eventually figured it out but he shouldn't have been pitching in the majors earlier this season.

I’m not in the business of critiquing the team based on very little information.  They might have messed up with how they handled Hall this season, or they may not have.   I don’t have a clue.   I’m just hoping he can play a useful role for the big league club down the stretch in some capacity.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not in the business of critiquing the team based on very little information.  They might have messed up with how they handled Hall this season, or they may not have.   I don’t have a clue.   I’m just hoping he can play a useful role for the big league club down the stretch in some capacity.   

It would be great if he could get his velocity back to triple-digits and we have a full fire-throwing bullpen come the post-season. Use him like a rookie Chris Sale or David Price in the late innings. Here's to hoping. 

Looks like DL was sitting between 95-97 on the fastball. Slowest was 95.2, fastest was 97.1. Both Ks were looking, on what appear to have been pretty good locations. 

Four swinging strikes (2 on fastball, 2 on changeup). Changeup looks to have been pretty effective overall. Doesn’t seem to have thrown a breaking ball in the zone, although he did get a foul ball on one down.

He pitched to the heart of the lineup — three through six — which puts a little bit of a positive varnish on the outing. He struck out Troy Johnston, who is 26 and has been raking this year, and also retired Dane Myers, who recently went 4/11 with a 2B for MIA against our ML team. 

His Statcast data is virtually identical now to his MLB numbers last year. I’m sure they have him on some sort of rehab-ish plan before activating him but I hope it’s short. He looks like he could help the pen again right now and ultimately take over the 8th inning role by the time playoffs role around.

He still threw a lot of changeups and not as many sliders so I’d expect him to have at least one slider-heavy outing before getting the call, but that may not be necessary. 

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I know this is VERY wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Hall in the Cano role, and move Cano to a 7th-inning (or sooner) role.

I think there's a lot of us who are looking for someone to take over that 8th inning role. Cano probably isn't the right guy. 

Fuji and Hall seem like the two most likely options. Or Wells/Kremer at some point if somehow Means can be a rotation piece for a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

A clean, three strikeout inning for Hall tonight.  Great to see.  15 pitches, 11 strikes. Two of the strikeouts came on fastballs, 97.6 and 96.7 mph.  The other was on an 85.1 mph offspeed pitch.  

Time for Baumann to step in a pothole.  He looks spent and needs a rest.  Give Hall a chance.