Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

15 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm seeing a problem with Mateo in his batting stance and it's all about his foundation: His feet. 

Mateo seems to have picked up a bad habit of tapping his front foot. He has jittery feet. This has thrown the timing and balance of his swing all out if whack. 

When Mateo was having succes in April, he was keeping his front foot planted and his toes inward. That balanced him out and let him swing on time under balance when he wanted to swing.

Wasn't the foot-tap what people were referring to as to why he had such a good April?

7 hours ago, panick said:

Wasn't the foot-tap what people were referring to as to why he had such a good April?

They were referring to him having fixed the toe tap. He solved this by planting his front foot toes inward. I think that gives him more balance and less wasted motion.

12 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Jorge Mateo's numbers since May 1st. It's time for Mateo to be a once a week a player and if I'm Elias, I'm actively searching for trade offers to free up a spot for Joey Ortiz.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 19-49-16 Jorge Mateo 2023 Batting Game Logs Baseball-Reference.com.png

If you DFA him, you should be able to trade him.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Jorge Mateo's numbers since May 1st. It's time for Mateo to be a once a week a player and if I'm Elias, I'm actively searching for trade offers to free up a spot for Joey Ortiz.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 19-49-16 Jorge Mateo 2023 Batting Game Logs Baseball-Reference.com.png

Just beyond terrible. How many contending teams would put up with this kind of offense when they have so many internal options to replace him?

• Upvote 4

Maybe he can room with Mountcastle during the break so he can catch some of that vertigo and go on a rehab assignment for the rest of the year. 

I am not sure that they can continue to ignore the lack of offense. In four ABs tonight he made contact with what, two pitches? One of the balls he touched was a foul tip. 

Cakes said on the broadcast tonight that Joey Ortiz took his assignment me to Norfolk in stride by proceeding to go 11 - 22 since his return down there. 

I continue to question their lack of moves when they are so clear to everyone. If we are commenting on Jorge hitting .136 in the last 60+ days, I can only imagine what the analytics department is saying. I imagine some heads have exploded by now. 

I am a huge fan of Jorge Mateo but he is killing the team. It’s comical at this point. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Maybe he can room with Mountcastle during the break so he can catch some of that vertigo and go on a rehab assignment for the rest of the year. 

I wouldn’t joke about something like that.  I wouldn’t wish vertigo on anyone.   

I agree with your substantive point.  Mateo is in a 2+ month funk.  He’s been a poor hitter in over 1000 major league plate appearances, despite occasional blistering hot streaks.  I’ve never seen a guy be as cold as he’s been the last two months.  Time to try something else.  

There's really no reason to not have Ortiz up. I don't like playing the makeup a lineup game, but Ortiz, Henderson and Westburg would make a really nice infield. They'd still have Frazier and Urias, so there's depth and hopefully some productivity there. 0-4 with 3 k's ...on top of being absolutely abysmal at the plate for 2+ months. Defense and speed only carry you so far.

• Upvote 2

It's gotten to the point of negligence on Elias' part to continue running out Mateo when Ortiz should have already been given a shot at steady playing time at SS.

And somewhat off-topic but related to Elias waiting too long to call up the resources he has at his disposal in the form of elite prospects, but it was ridiculous to see the team short-handed tonight down Hays and Westburg and for Cowser to have not been called up. Enough already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

It's gotten to the point of negligence on Elias' part to continue running out Mateo when Ortiz should have already been given a shot at steady playing time at SS.

And somewhat off-topic but related to Elias waiting too long to call up the resources he has at his disposal in the form of elite prospects, but it was ridiculous to see the team short-handed tonight down Hays and Westburg and for Cowser to have not been called up. Enough already. 

I’d say whether to call up Cowser depends entirely on how long Hays is expected to be out.  

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Just beyond terrible. How many contending teams would put up with this kind of offense when they have so many internal options to replace him?

This is the thing.  We have better in house.  Maybe not a stolen base threat but we have guys that can play excellent defense and offer more stick than Mateo can.  And we stubbornly not using them trying to see if Mateo can be the rare five tool guy we got for free on the waiver wires.   The dream of found money is making us ignore the fact Mateo probably is what he is.   All glove and legs and no hit.   

• Upvote 1